Your question

2.99gb available out of 12gb ram, win 7 64bit

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
  • RAM
Last response: in Windows 7
January 15, 2013 12:49:05 AM

I have only 2.99gb available out of my (3x4gb)12gbs of ram. I am running windows 7 home premium 64bit and my mobo is an msi x58a gd45, and the ram is 1333Mhz and is installed correctly. I don't know what else it could be. I did allocate alot of ram to minecraft when I first built this computer but I have long forgotten how to reverse that or if it even needs to be reversed. So that's my problem do you think you can help?

More about : 99gb 12gb ram win 64bit

Related resources
January 15, 2013 2:56:07 AM

Hi,

I helped another user with the same motherboard who had the same issue. A BIOS update resolved the issue for him. See this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

I recommend heading to MSI's website and following their BIOS update instructions to the letter.

MSI has a live update utility that can handle this process for you. It is available here:
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/X58A-GD45.html#/?div=BIOS

Best regards,

--Russel
m
l
January 15, 2013 5:32:19 AM

I have tried using the MSI updater but everytime I use it for the bios it says I need a floppy disk or to open up in windows, but when I choose windows it says I have close "Start". WTF? I don't even understand that. I closed everyother program but it won't let me do it.
m
l
January 15, 2013 1:09:34 PM

colossusbird said:
I have tried using the MSI updater but everytime I use it for the bios it says I need a floppy disk or to open up in windows, but when I choose windows it says I have close "Start". WTF? I don't even understand that. I closed everyother program but it won't let me do it.

Try right-clicking on the updater in Windows and clicking "Run as an administrator" and let us know what happens.

--Russel
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2013 1:32:30 PM

As a case in point, not to confuse the Issue, Did you enable memory remapping mode in the Bios of the motherboard?. I hope you did, if not have a check it is turned on in the bios. Turn it on. Also type msconfig in the search bar of windows, take a look in the config options, boot tab, advanced options. Look at the Max memory options if set with a tick untick it, it reserves memory just for windows OS i do believe. If none of it works go for the Bios update as said.
m
l
January 15, 2013 1:41:44 PM

I'm a bit confused here. You indicated 2.99GB available out of 12GB Ram.

Are you referring to 12GB Installed and 2.99GB Usable ?

Or you are specifically saying 2.99GB Available ?

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2013 1:57:58 PM

Well if he goes into system information and it quotes installed total physical Ram 12 Gb
Total physical memory 12Gb.
Available physical memory 2.99Gb Then windows or something is using the rest up.
Leaving 2.99Gb for other programs to run. I doubt windows would use 9Gb of memory unless you set it to so. Mind you he may of, by using the ms config, boot, advanced memory option.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2013 2:09:18 PM

For example, say you have 8gb installed, if you set the option to say 2Gb in the box take a look at the physical memory in windows sytem information it will only show 2gb of total physical memory even though 8gb is fitted.
Then after windows is in memory what is left for other programs. Although it will state 8gb is there.
m
l
a c 233 $ Windows 7
January 15, 2013 5:15:39 PM

Possibilities:

1. You have a lot of programs/services running.

2. A misbehaving program/memory leak.

3. It's normal for windows to cache programs and data so that it can be accessed quicker later. Windows will release the memory when another program requests more memory.
m
l
January 15, 2013 5:32:56 PM

rusabus said:
Try right-clicking on the updater in Windows and clicking "Run as an administrator" and let us know what happens.

--Russel

I did run as admin but it just restarts my computer if I select in windows. I can try using the usb one but I am afraid that I will mess up my bios.
m
l
January 15, 2013 5:35:42 PM

weaselman said:
As a case in point, not to confuse the Issue, Did you enable memory remapping mode in the Bios of the motherboard?. I hope you did, if not have a check it is turned on in the bios. Turn it on. Also type msconfig in the search bar of windows, take a look in the config options, boot tab, advanced options. Look at the Max memory options if set with a tick untick it, it reserves memory just for windows OS i do believe. If none of it works go for the Bios update as said.

I have not touched the bios besides trying to make my computer dual boot snow leopard but I reset my bios after I failed.
m
l
January 15, 2013 10:57:30 PM

I think you should really read some of the questions on here, take baby steps, and then if the minor suggestions don't work, you can go ahead and update your BIOS.

I will ask again :

m
l
January 16, 2013 12:19:12 AM

colossusbird said:
I did run as admin but it just restarts my computer if I select in windows. I can try using the usb one but I am afraid that I will mess up my bios.

The USB method is actually quite a bit safer than almost any other method.
m
l
January 17, 2013 12:52:03 AM

Nedal0 said:
I think you should really read some of the questions on here, take baby steps, and then if the minor suggestions don't work, you can go ahead and update your BIOS.

I will ask again :

I have 12gb of 1333 mhz in 4x3 installed into my computer, Windows says I only have 2.99gb available out of the 12gb already installed.
m
l
January 17, 2013 9:00:44 AM

Go to search on the Start menu, then type msinfo32 and press enter. A new windows should open and at the bottom part you should see something like this.

Installed physical memory (RAM) 12.0GB
Total physical memory 11.9GB
Available physical memory 7.99GB

If this is not your case then I will suggest you follow what "rusabus" has already said.

If you are worried about updating your BIOS, then I'm afraid you have to take it to the shop or find someone who's comfortable with doing it.

You will get all the help you need here but you have help yourself first. That way you can help us to help you.

m
l
January 20, 2013 5:10:02 PM

Okay I fixed the the ram problem by flashing my bios. Now my computer wont stop running the CPU at such a high percentage. Every time i try to run a program it shoots up to 100% for 5 seconds or more and slows down my video. Its not a SVChost.exe virus cause I did a full sweep and it came up clean. I don't know what I can do to fix it. so if you can help that would be awesome thank you very much for your help already
m
l
January 20, 2013 8:26:11 PM

What Anti Virus are you running ? Norton ? And how or what Anti Virus did you use to scan ?

Also what MSI specific programs do you have installed from the Motherboard CD or MSI website.

Also, I'd like to know a list of your most used Software if possible, basically the software that causes the shoot ups or CPU spikes
m
l
December 9, 2013 8:08:28 PM

how about me i have 8gb ram still usable 2.99gb ang my processor is i5 ang my video card is gforce 9500GT running window 32bit but my system still saying not responding and my graphics still hang and sometime blinking what i need to do>??
m
l
December 13, 2013 3:06:26 PM

mychal said:
how about me i have 8gb ram still usable 2.99gb ang my processor is i5 ang my video card is gforce 9500GT running window 32bit but my system still saying not responding and my graphics still hang and sometime blinking what i need to do>??

You badly need some upgrades. With a 32 bit OS, your limited to 4gb of ram, even if you have more installed(it can't be used). Google this to verify, but generally... it's a well known limitation. Plus you system will seal some of the 4gb for resources.

And get a new GPU, even "just" a Radeon 7770.
m
l
!