Help removing "Kiosk" account

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Hey guys, i really need your help.

I work at an electronics retailer and a display model laptop was sold to a customer about a year ago. That customer is back and is upset that there is an account called "Kiosk" that she can't get rid of. She did something to it, and now when the computer boots it brings up the "Kiosk" user name and password entry screen, and nobody knows the password. She has other accounts on the computer, but they don't show up any more. Just "Kiosk" and "switch to other user", which requires a username and password, but I don't know them. I just spent $50 on some crap software that's supposed to remove all the passwords, which didn't work, but it did tell me the names of the accounts, one being "HP", which has no password, so I was able to get in. However, when I open cmd and type net user, none of the accounts show up as "Kiosk". How is this possible?

Please help me if you can. Thanks.

Solution

It's not. You would remove the user account through the Control Panel -> User Accounts.

But you stated in your opening that you (and the customer) don't know the password for the "Kiosk" account.
That customer is back and is upset that there is an account called "Kiosk" that she can't get rid of. She did something to it, and now when the computer boots it brings up the "Kiosk" user name and password entry screen, and nobody knows the password. She has other accounts on the computer, but they don't show up any more. Just "Kiosk" and "switch to other user", which requires a username and password, but I don't know them.

As for the "Kiosk"...
It is probably an older model of a demo installation that the store uses to show off the computer. I know where I work we have had several similar instances. It typically was something agreed upon by our management team in regards to what the password was to access or make changes to the computer.

That being said, it's actually against forum rules for anyone to assist with hacking, removing, or bypassing a password.

Please refer to this thread for further assistance.

I would recommend the customer contact the store and see if anyone there remembers what the password was or she may have to actually run a full PC Restore in order to correct the issue.

It's not. You would remove the user account through the Control Panel -> User Accounts.

But you stated in your opening that you (and the customer) don't know the password for the "Kiosk" account.
That customer is back and is upset that there is an account called "Kiosk" that she can't get rid of. She did something to it, and now when the computer boots it brings up the "Kiosk" user name and password entry screen, and nobody knows the password. She has other accounts on the computer, but they don't show up any more. Just "Kiosk" and "switch to other user", which requires a username and password, but I don't know them.

As for the "Kiosk" account not showing when you did the cmd net user, it won't if the user account you are logged into doesn't have administrative privileges. Did you right-click and choose "Run As Administrator" when you launched the command prompt?

Solution

There's no way for anyone here to verify your story. And there's no way for you to prove it either. That's why there is no assistance with password issues in these forums.

Where was the computer purchased from? If it was bought in a retail store you should be able to have the user go back to the store and they can either:
A) Will remember what the password is that was used and be able to take it off.
B) Run a full system recovery, if it's a newer PC, that will in turn remove anything demo, or "kiosk" related, and take it to back like it shipped from the factory. Granted they will lose any information on it but if they truly want this computer to work, they will put forth the effort.

As for your response:
Sounds like someone needs to freshin' up on the forum rules.

Go HERE for more help!

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

as for your response:
Sounds like someone needs to read the post again. I WORK there bro, and the computer was sold before I started. and I WASN'T ASKING FOR A PASSWORD! *smacks forehead*. you're all just fixated on this. did i ever ask for a password?! no! did i ever ask how to bypass it? no! did i ever ask how to crack it?! no!! i asked why none of the accounts showed up as "kiosk". that's all. jeez. and FYI, i figured the stupid thing out on my own anyway.

LorenL2

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

I have the same situation. Recently purchased a "last one" HP All-in-One PC at Costco. One of the sales persons supposedly removed the Kiosk (or at least thought he did) user. I've tried at home off and on for awhile now to get rid of it. It doesn't show up as a user, etc. The store people were as helpful as they could be, giving me their store password, which did not work, and then suggesting I could return the PC. It doesn't seem this should be too hard to figure out, but I haven't yet. Of course, once it is known, it probably seems simple. Could you share your solution?! This darn Kiosk user is certainly a PIA. Thanks!