forgive me...

Ok, technically this could be considered spam... but... I have a few
friends in this group who might be interested, and well... quite
honestly I'll enjoy pissing off some of the other folks here (and to the
rest of you... I apologize)

Anyway...

I'm selling my comic collection on ebay. All as 1 giant lot. A couple
thousand comics (roughly) all in EX to NM condition, bags and boards.
The auction starts at 1 Cent. There is No Reserve. In certain cases, the
shipping is Free.

The link is here...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6550277986

Thanks,
S.

Heroic Adventure wrote:
> Ok, technically this could be considered spam... but... I have a few
> friends in this group who might be interested, and well... quite
> honestly I'll enjoy pissing off some of the other folks here (and to the
> rest of you... I apologize)
>
> Anyway...
>
> I'm selling my comic collection on ebay. All as 1 giant lot. A couple
> thousand comics (roughly) all in EX to NM condition, bags and boards.
> The auction starts at 1 Cent. There is No Reserve. In certain cases, the
> shipping is Free.
>
> The link is here...
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6550277986

How dare you spam our beloved group! May your tortured soul burn for
an eternity in the hottest hellfire! May your PC always crash! May
your flesh slowly... jk. I don't really care, although you probably
should have gone ahead and added a little [OT] tag on your subject line.

I used to be a bit of a comic geek, myself. Never collected though,
since I never was able to stop myself from blowing all of my money on
other stuff, instead. Used to be a huge fan of the Wolverine comics
(well, still am, truthfully!). Wish I had some money, because I might
have bid now. Oh well. Good luck on your sale!

--
My projects are currently on hold, but I do have
some junk at the site below.

http://www.freewebs.com/timsrl/index.htm

Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com> writes:

> I used to be a bit of a comic geek, myself. Never collected though,

I did, and I looked at the collection for sale. Not *quite* my cup of tea,
I'm afraid - I was really into the Vertigo line, back before they were an
imprint, just DC's "mature audience" books.

I had all the Gaiman Sandman, Shade the Changing Man, Hellblazer, all of the
modern Swamp Thing, etc. I had some fairly esoteric (i.e. expensive) stuff
too - a complete run (such as it was) of the Jack Kirby Sandman series from
the seventies, some silver age Shade the Changing Man, etc.

Notice I keep saying "had". I worked nights, and one night my apartment was
broken into while I was away, and every last box of 'em was stolen. I made a
half-hearted attempt to start again, but I just couldn't bring myself to be
enthusiastic about it again.

ObRL: Gaiman's first "Sandman" story arc would make an interesting RL, where
you play Morpheus, and have to recover your sand, your mask, and your gem
after having been held prisoner for several hundred years.

sherm--

We will never forgive.We will build a hell specialy designed for you in
every new roguelike for the next 10 years.

"Adrian Fänger" <Faenger@heliweb.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> We will never forgive.We will build a hell specialy designed for you in
> every new roguelike for the next 10 years.

Actually, I once had the idea to include a "Neo" character in my roguelike
and make him die a gruesome death...
And there were plans to change the license of the game as well: I wanted to
add a clause that stated "If you spam the r.g.r.* newsgroups or support
spammers/trolls by replying to them you're not allowed to play this game."
I decided that it would be to childish, though.

copx

Auric__ <not.my.real@email.address> writes:

> Vertigo's Lucifer series is pretty much the only comic I collect (and
> there are indications it'll be ending soon). (I also collect Linsner's
> Dawn, but that's pretty irregular - up to 8 months (!) between issues.)

Funny you should mention that - my Cry For Dawn t-shirt is one of the few
comics-related things I still have. That, and a few trade paperbacks -
several Sandman and one Cerebus.

> He was a prisoner for about 70 years, not "several hundred", but yes,
> that might make an interesting game. I assume that a trip to Hell would
> be included.

Yep, you're right about the timeline - I haven't re-read the story in a
while.

What I'm thinking is that The Dreaming would serve the same purpose as the
wilderness in many RLs. Other locations would be the "dungeons".

The scenario offers a natural power progression. Morpheus was weakened by
his imprisonment, and regains his strength as the plot progresses.

Hmmm... I think I'll have to re-read the book(s) again and think about this.
It might just work. :)

sherm--

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:53:44 -0400, Sherm Pendley wrote:

>Auric__ <not.my.real@email.address> writes:
>
>> Vertigo's Lucifer series is pretty much the only comic I collect (and
>> there are indications it'll be ending soon). (I also collect Linsner's
>> Dawn, but that's pretty irregular - up to 8 months (!) between issues.)
>
>Funny you should mention that - my Cry For Dawn t-shirt is one of the few
>comics-related things I still have. That, and a few trade paperbacks -
>several Sandman and one Cerebus.

At least they left the cool stuff.

>> He was a prisoner for about 70 years, not "several hundred", but yes,
>> that might make an interesting game. I assume that a trip to Hell would
>> be included.
>
>Yep, you're right about the timeline - I haven't re-read the story in a
>while.

Me neither. This is all from memory. I'm probably getting things wrong
here and there.

>What I'm thinking is that The Dreaming would serve the same purpose as the
>wilderness in many RLs. Other locations would be the "dungeons".

If you remember from the "Season of Mists" (aka "Morpheus returns to
Hell, Lucifer quits, NAAAADAAAAAA!!!!!") storyline, there is actually a
sort of gray void between various places which I would have serve the
function of wilderness. I'd suggest that the Dreaming might be better
off as the game's "town".

>The scenario offers a natural power progression. Morpheus was weakened by
>his imprisonment, and regains his strength as the plot progresses.
>
>Hmmm... I think I'll have to re-read the book(s) again and think about this.
>It might just work. :)

It certainly might.

Suggestion: instead of money, he gets sand to use for his powers. Or
"dreamstuff", which he can use to upgrade his abilities back in the
Dreaming. (But not in Hell - the dreams of the dead are worthless to
him.)
--
auric underscore underscore at hotmail dot com
*****

Auric__ <not.my.real@email.address> writes:

> If you remember from the "Season of Mists" (aka "Morpheus returns to
> Hell, Lucifer quits, NAAAADAAAAAA!!!!!") storyline, there is actually a
> sort of gray void between various places which I would have serve the
> function of wilderness. I'd suggest that the Dreaming might be better
> off as the game's "town".

Sounds about right, but if I recall the in-between right, it was pretty
uneventful. That's fine for a narrative - it gives the writer a chance to
have Morpheus think about things that wouldn't really come up if he were
interacting constantly with other characters.

But in terms of gameplay, it would be kind of boring. What makes a wilderness
interesting is the varied terrain and the possibilities of random encounters;
neither of those would be applicable to the in-between.

You're right though; what I was imagining the Dreaming would be was more
like a town than a wilderness. I think it might be better to have a single
"dungeon" entrance in the Dreaming though, and avoid the in-between, or at
least reduce it to a single descriptive paragraph.

> Suggestion: instead of money, he gets sand to use for his powers. Or
> "dreamstuff", which he can use to upgrade his abilities back in the
> Dreaming. (But not in Hell - the dreams of the dead are worthless to
> him.)

Dreamsand - I like that.

I think DreamRL would work best as something that's heavily influenced by the
comic, but doesn't try to duplicate the plot point-for-point. So you'd have
the quests to recover the gem, the sand, and the mask artifacts, and to find
and bring back various former residents of the Dreaming such as the Corinthian
and Fiddler's Green.

But in other ways it would be pure roguelike. The dungeons would basically be
traditional dungeons, appropriately themed. The Corinthian's dungeon, for
instance, would basically be laid out like a convention hall, with lots of
small rooms and a few larger ones. The encounters there would be with violent
human(oid) types, with many serial killer uniques - John Gacy, Charles Manson,
etc. And, of course, the Corinthian himself.

I'm *definitely* going to dig the books out and read 'em again. :)

sherm--

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:20:34 -0400, Sherm Pendley wrote:

>Auric__ <not.my.real@email.address> writes:
>
>> If you remember from the "Season of Mists" (aka "Morpheus returns to
>> Hell, Lucifer quits, NAAAADAAAAAA!!!!!") storyline, there is actually a
>> sort of gray void between various places which I would have serve the
>> function of wilderness. I'd suggest that the Dreaming might be better
>> off as the game's "town".
>
>Sounds about right, but if I recall the in-between right, it was pretty
>uneventful. That's fine for a narrative - it gives the writer a chance to
>have Morpheus think about things that wouldn't really come up if he were
>interacting constantly with other characters.
>
>But in terms of gameplay, it would be kind of boring. What makes a wilderness
>interesting is the varied terrain and the possibilities of random encounters;
>neither of those would be applicable to the in-between.

As you said, it doesn't need to be completely faithful to the story. He
might encounter other beings in transit, or maybe there are unfriendly
natives.

>You're right though; what I was imagining the Dreaming would be was more
>like a town than a wilderness. I think it might be better to have a single
>"dungeon" entrance in the Dreaming though, and avoid the in-between, or at
>least reduce it to a single descriptive paragraph.

Eh. [shrug] Maybe.

>> Suggestion: instead of money, he gets sand to use for his powers. Or
>> "dreamstuff", which he can use to upgrade his abilities back in the
>> Dreaming. (But not in Hell - the dreams of the dead are worthless to
>> him.)
>
>Dreamsand - I like that.
>
>I think DreamRL would work best as something that's heavily influenced by the
>comic, but doesn't try to duplicate the plot point-for-point. So you'd have
>the quests to recover the gem, the sand, and the mask artifacts, and to find
>and bring back various former residents of the Dreaming such as the Corinthian
>and Fiddler's Green.

Let's not forget side stuff, like the two Dreaming guys who tried to
make a new Dream, resulting in the birth of Daniel (whom I understand
later *did* become Dream, though I stopped reading it longer before.)

>But in other ways it would be pure roguelike. The dungeons would basically be
>traditional dungeons, appropriately themed. The Corinthian's dungeon, for
>instance, would basically be laid out like a convention hall, with lots of
>small rooms and a few larger ones. The encounters there would be with violent
>human(oid) types, with many serial killer uniques - John Gacy, Charles Manson,
>etc. And, of course, the Corinthian himself.
>
>I'm *definitely* going to dig the books out and read 'em again. :)

Heh. Distractions rock. <g>
--
auric underscore underscore at hotmail dot com
*****
Giving the Linus Torvalds Award to the Free Software Foundation is a bit
like giving the Han Solo Award to the Rebel Alliance.
-- Richard M. Stallman

Auric__ <not.my.real@email.address> writes:

> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:20:34 -0400, Sherm Pendley wrote:
>
>>But in terms of gameplay, it would be kind of boring. What makes a wilderness
>>interesting is the varied terrain and the possibilities of random encounters;
>>neither of those would be applicable to the in-between.
>
> As you said, it doesn't need to be completely faithful to the story. He
> might encounter other beings in transit, or maybe there are unfriendly
> natives.

Oh, I like that. What kind of beings would live *between* worlds? The mind
boggles...

> Let's not forget side stuff, like the two Dreaming guys who tried to
> make a new Dream, resulting in the birth of Daniel (whom I understand
> later *did* become Dream, though I stopped reading it longer before.)

That's actually a central plot point. Although, if you stopped before the end
you might have missed that - it all ties together. Nada, Daniel, Loki, the
Dream Vortex, Orpheus' estrangement from Dream and his eventual death at his
father's hands, Destruction's abandonment of his office, etc. - it's all part
of the larger story.

(I had written a summary from memory here, but decided to delete it. It's
been several years since I've read the books, and the summary was so jumbled
and full of holes that it really didn't do the series justice.)

One thing I always thought was especially fascinating was how, with very few
exceptions, every issue was a piece of the larger puzzle. It all ties together
and forms a coherent story from beginning to end.

Unfortunately, a lot of that would be lost in translation. A roguelike, almost
by definition, is not very strongly plot-driven. If it is, replayability goes
out the window. What's more, a plot that's as tightly woven as that of Sandman
wouldn't leave the player much room for decision making.

Even so, I love the core idea. The Dreaming as the town, the void between the
planes as wilderness, and a number of locations, or even whole planes, as the
dungeons. Lots of sub-plots (aka quests) that take you to various locations.

Maybe the story could pick up where the comic ended, with the player taking on
the role of the new Sandman - Daniel. Being new, he'd have to start off fairly
weak, and gradually grow into his full power. The death of the previous Dream
and the ascension of Daniel would have left any number of things in disarray.
The Corinthian and other nightmares might have escaped again, and need to be
located and brought back to the Dreaming.

In fact, that could easily be enough on its own to serve as a plot for a RL,
just Daniel's quests to capture the assorted escaped nightmares. There's
plenty of room for themeing - he'll have to visit many locations, and meet
many of the characters from the books. It ties in to the story as given in
the comics, without being constrained to follow it.

Time to hit those books...

sherm--