AMD vs INTEL laptop for gaming/performance/price Whats should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepronin

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Reader I need a little advice I was going to purchase the Asus G73SW-A1 with i7 2630 for a great gaming laptop and good for rendering video and stuff. But with this sandy bridge news it make me wonder what should I buy. I love asus products but im willing to go to another manufacture if the price/performance is right. Can anyone give me any good advise. Here are 3 manufacture im looking at Sager,Asus, dont really like dell but i guess alienware. reader I asked a question on the sandy bridge problem with intel and i hope i get some great responses. But i have one more question hope the readers can help me with. Even though I might get a Intel laptop for gaming and video rendering and stuff. What about AMD? Im a die hard AMD fan I dont care if they are not the best CPU but for the price/performance they are awesome. Is there any manufacture out there that make a kick ass AMD Laptop with at least these spec. AMD Quad Core or higher, 17.3" screen or bigger with 1080p res, High end mobile video card and have a blu-ray drive and if possible have those seagate mentus hybrd drives. If they have a system made like that. I'm all in... no Intel for me but if not i guess i have no choice but to go with Intel Thanks in Advance... here a laptop i found but still missing that wow factor and im not a HP or a ACER fan Newegg.com - PCsp. & Laptops,Laptops / Notebooks,AMD Phenom II Quad-Core,17" - 17.3" P.S. i was also looking at the best mobile graphics card gtx 485 or radeon 6970 please advice a system with one of those and cost 2000 or less

General Questions

1) What is your budget? 2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) What country are you buying this in?
USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Asus, Sager, MSI, maybe dell xps or alienware series

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
Gaming and video rendering and some maya and 3d max

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
mostly desktop replacement but portable when needed

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
yes Cysis, Metro 2033

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
Dont matter

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
i dont mind as long as i can see a video review

10) What OS do you prefer? (more details below)

-Windows 7 64bit

Screen Specifics

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer? (more details below)

WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets. or atleast 1080p

12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non glossy screen?
mostly glossy but might take a matte

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
important to a extent

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
will by in the next month and last about 2 years or more upgrade ability is a option but not a must have

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 80GB, 160GB, 250GB, 320GB, 500GB, 1TB, or 1.5TB? 500gb or more

16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, CD/DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
blu-ray player but it would be nice if i can get it with a blu-ray burner

17) What speed CPU/Processor would you like? Dual core or Quad Core CPU?
this is the hardest question. i love power but im a AMD faithful and i cant afford the best so this is what i like to have but willing to change for price reasons
AMD quad core or higher if i have to go with Intel witch it looks like they dominate the laptop gaming world i7 quad or higher

Status
Not open for further replies.