random idea generation thread

Ideas, for roguelikes, small details, large things, anything, but be
fairly terse (few words).
Original ideas, or what you feel is underused in roguelikes.

fletching, with different wood types and magic enchantments
traps you can make yourself, with varying effects
delayed spells. 2 turns, 5 turns
mobs that use a shield every other turn: warrior life more interesting
spells with line, cone, cross, circle area effects
spells with different effect on each tile (circle/line and its center)
spells, or combat moves that change with use (not only to be better)
dungeon wall manipulation spells
useful spells with major negative drawbacks (damage + haste)
more peaceful ways: calming, exhausting, bribery. rewards these (exp)
factions (could balance well with lower exp gain)
places that have different rules than the main dungeon
friendly creatures who ally with major drawbacks. examples:
friend - gets half the money
animal - could enrage at any time
crazy adventurer - explores areas with you: will attract creatures
world inside a world, story in a story
many ways to win integrated to the game
completely different games in the same gameworld within the same rules
twitch gameplay, but still turnbased (think golf swing meter)

more ASCII special effects and animation
- complex lighting (colored lights, cone lights w/ penumbras, etc)
monsters or other objects bigger than a single tile
- especially for dragons
- ( )
^D^ vDv
I tested this in notepad and looked pretty cute
and it was simple to draw. Flaps its wings nicely!
Better-crafted dungeons
- Improved/complex randomization routines
- More congruency between mobs, treasure, themed dungeons

Thats all I got for now!

copx wrote:
> + Afro-american youth culture
> - that "gangsta"-thing: pimped cars, whores, drugs, crime, rap music etc.
> GTA Rogue?!

Fantasy please! Grand Theft Mule:
You ride stolen mounts to exhaustion and steal more to carry your
treasure, assault lone travellers and innocent townsfolk, venture into
deep caves to get quests from the lords of the underground, smuggle
spices and illegal magic past town guards and wandering paladins, take
advantage of fair princesses and raid rivals' dungeons.
Ah, the coolness of leading trolls and ogres in gang fights, leveling
shops with fireballs when they don't pay for "protection", turning
someone into an undead to make an example, causing earthquakes in the
Elf Quarters and looting the corpses...

Seriously, RL games have a lot of potential for assassination, robbery,
theft and property damage that remains unrealized because of cheap AI
and level models and "good guy" assumptions about the player character.

Lorenzo Gatti

"Lauri Vallo" <laEEKSPMAva@kolumbus.fi> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Ideas, for roguelikes, small details, large things, anything, but be
> fairly terse (few words).
> Original ideas, or what you feel is underused in roguelikes.
[snip]
+ Afro-american youth culture
- that "gangsta"-thing: pimped cars, whores, drugs, crime, rap music etc.
GTA Rogue?!

copx

Interesting idea... a rogue where you play the bad guy...

Something that I'm going to try to put in my rogue, Atharia, is where
the gameplay is mostly text, like most rogues, except a few incredible
graphics here and there.

For example, when I cast a lightning bolt, a real-looking lightning
bolt zigzags its way toward the target, like in Warcraft 3. Or when I
swing a sword, an actual sword would flash across the target, leaving a
small line behind that kinda fades out. Or when I shoot an arrow, it
will actually look like an arrow, or maybe if its a special one like a
fire arrow, it will actually look like it's leaving fire behind.

Basically, an old-fashioned looking game, with a few amazing special
effects just to make the player say "WTF?!".

Of course, coding this would be hell. ;)

On 7 Aug 2005 00:47:53 -0700, "Verdagon" <Verdagon@gmail.com> wrote:

>Interesting idea... a rogue where you play the bad guy...

Yeah, you could break into some creatures' home, slaughter them, then
commit the lowest of acts by looting their bodies.

Very original.

--
R. Dan Henry = danhenry@inreach.com

TRENDING THREADS