Article about CRPGs at Escapist Magazine

There's a good article about RPG design at Escapist Magazine. Although
it's not directly relevant to this ng, it does touch on several topics
which are frequently discussed here: role playing, permadeath, and
immersiveness to name a few. Plus it's a fun read. Here's the link:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/4/31

- JH.

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Looks very interesting!

I read though the article and am not sure if i totally agree with what
he is saying. I like his CRPG manifesto and agree with most of the
points he makes early in the article. I can see why his projects failed
and it is because of a major flaw that I have always found in
paper-and-pencil games. They are far too subjective.

As DM I always hated to kill off characters (players) and would
sometimes find ways to allow them to extend their life. If you're DMin
for a gorup of multiple characters, death could be an adventure. The
rest of the characters could seek out the help of local powerful
clerics for resurrection services. They could seek out a powerful item
or other means to resurrect their fallen comrade. In a single player
CRPG or in a situation in which all players die, it would be tough for
a human to say "oops, now we need to start over."

A computer, however, can be objective, and permadeath can allow a
player to grow form game to game as they're forced to restart instead
of relying on DMs fondness for the game to be resurrected and
trivialize death. I am not trying to say that what happened ot the
author of the article was not a problem, but that this does not exist
in RLs. In an RL, permadeath is a perfect solution because each time
the game restarts, a random world is created from a pattern or set of
patterns. These patterns, because they are in such a basic form, have
been tested many times, erase the problem of replaying a game.

If a DM is planning his (her) game, they may think "Hey, ____ might be
a really coll idea!" but the truth is that this idea is flawed, like
the recurring spiders in the author's cave. I think that at teh center
of an RL is the idea that the pattern can be perfect, generating
perfect (near perfect :) ) worlds. This pattern can be fine-tuned,
whereas if every single world in a CRPG needs to be fine-tuned by hand,
as an RL's pattern would be, testers/players will experience flawed
versions of the game and have the surprises of playing a virgin game.

What this all boils down to, is my opinion that while the article is
very interesting and, in my opinion, makes good points for using
permadeath, also points out problems of CRPGs that do not exist in the
CRPG subset: Rogue-likes. or...

"RLs arrr kool 'cuz they dont have these problems... keep playing 'em!"

Well... that was my two cents. I hope it didn't turn into (entirely) a
rant supporting permadeath and RLs... ;)....

Any other thoughts?...

-Thomas
RL: CHAZM

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Chris Morris:
> - don't replace monsters that are killed

I really agree with this one! In CHAZM, monsters will basically never
spawn and be set at the begging. Then again, i am really going for
realism.

I think that the subjectivness of Dnd, and such pnp games, is more of a
curse then a blessing. In MY opinon pnp games are more then anything
else, social games. Why even fight in a game like that!? Why not just
roleplay. Leave hack 'n slash for computers and just walk around
talking with people, exploring, and solving mysteries and puzzles....
or at least over fighting. Roleplaying is the great blessing of a
subjective game. Problems can be fixed in CRPGs/RLs but subjectivness
never can unless you get a heartless DM ;).... Isn't that what a
computer sortof is?!

Again, just my opinion... and i am sure i am in many ways very wrong
but these are more then thoughts, observations without much processing
;)!

I like these ideas....

I think the most important thing is. In nethack you CANT slaughter
hundreds of deer because there arn't hundreds of deer to kill!

I think scenery is great and a few deer around for sceenery or
emergincy food might be good but if you are putting hundreds there then
i dont think that your EXP system is most at fault.

> * Limited experience per species. Once you've killed your
> hundredth deer, you've learned all about fighting that you
> can be taught by killing deer. No more experience from
> killing deer.

Cool idea.... i really like this one. When i was much younger a GM
(this was not dnd...) had to tell me that picking the same lock over
and over would not keep giving me skill points (EXP...)! Really i was
just being stupid! This would probably be unnessessary to actually
implement but... its a cool thought!

Well... gotta Go!

-Thomas
RL: CHAZM

Lauri Vallo ha escrito:

> On 07 Aug 2005 19:10:31 +0100, Chris Morris wrote:
>
> > - the more monsters that are killed in an area, the more likely a
> > *really* out-of-depth monster will come to investigate.
>
> Anyone remember Wizball?

Remember the game, but didn't play it so much :p

Now that you mention an old C64 game, I remember another one with a
(maybe?) similar behavior. In Soldier of Fortune, when you stayed too
long walking an area, Death itself came directly after you. Likewise,
when you abused the gold pots, they threw monsters at you instead of
coins.

Behaviors like these could be imported into a RL to prevent scumming.

"Thomas" <comments@foresightsagas.com> writes:
> I read though the article and am not sure if i totally agree with what
> he is saying. I like his CRPG manifesto and agree with most of the
> points he makes early in the article. I can see why his projects failed
> and it is because of a major flaw that I have always found in
> paper-and-pencil games. They are far too subjective.

I'd hardly call that a flaw... it's more a flaw of computer games that
they *can't* be subjective. This means that the unintended
consequences of a particular design decision can go haywire because
you *can't* code "don't be silly" into the game.

For example, it should be impossible to use wishes to get more
wishes. In ADoM, all the direct ways to do this are blocked, as are
most of the indirect ways (recharging wands of wishing). However,
there is still a way to do it. If anyone tried that one in a pen and
paper game, even if technically the rules said it would work, the GM
would just quietly re-roll the crucial roll to avoid horribly
unbalancing everything, whereas in ADoM the objectivity of the RNG
means that it *will* work eventually.

--
Chris

Thomas wrote:
> Looks very interesting!
>
> I read though the article and am not sure if i totally agree with what
> he is saying. I like his CRPG manifesto and agree with most of the
> points he makes early in the article. I can see why his projects failed

His projects failed because he first used a system that
rewarded inappropriate behavior, and second kept
resurrecting everyone!

The guy starts with a decent idea; run a CRPG as a serious
game. But the execution fails because the players have
acquired "munchkin" reflexes from CRPGs that aren't serious
games. A period of training was required, where they run
first-level characters and death sticks, and he didn't give
it to 'em. Most RL's do give people that period of training.

In defense of his players, he also made several entities in
the game too powerful for a permadeath dungeon, such that
those entities, when they became enemies to the party, could
simply slaughter the entire party. UberPowerful Druids and
bugs on endless respawn are overpowered for a permadeath
game. MOST RL's don't do this, but some do.

He needed to be able to intervene as GM and stop time when
something bad happened while somebody was AFK getting a
soda. From the tabletop game, this is "A Wyvern?! Okay,
we're going to meelee. Mike, we need to get you in here to
roll initiative!" This is not a problem in turn-based
games like RL's.

His last major problem though, is one that *is* shared by
most RL games. He needed to take away more of the "munchkin"
awards if he wanted his players to get into a non-munchkin
headspace. No sane GM makes experience awards for senseless
killing of natural animals incidental to the quest, and he
shouldn't have done so either. In fact, 1/10thx experience
would have been a better choice than 2.5x experience.

And this brings up a central problem; the structure of
experience awards. Given that CRPG players will game the
experience system whenever they can, because they are like
junkies and leveling up is crack; how do you arrange the
experience awards so that they don't do nonsensical things
that destroy or destructure the adventure?

I think:

* Experience awards for exploration (seeing territory
not seen before) is less subject to abuse than most systems,
assuming your game doesn't offer endless risk-free territory
to explore.

* Limited experience per species. Once you've killed your
hundredth deer, you've learned all about fighting that you
can be taught by killing deer. No more experience from
killing deer.

* Big awards tied to accomplishing missions. Maybe even
limit other kinds of experience-taking for the duration
of the mission. So when you accept a quest to go kill
the orcish chieftian, you forego leveling up until you
get him.

Bear

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003

> (The only problem I had was with the typical crpg saving and loading,
> which Is another double edged sword. Give me a mode where I get a
> penalty for "dying" and only the roguelike quit and come back -saving
> and I'm happy. But if you let me die that would also break immersion.
> So I hope there is some way to make battles tough and let you try them
> again a few times without breaking immersion with saving and loading,
> or make me start the whole game again, or anything strap-on and
> cheesy)

Do you mean 'bolted on'? 'Strap-on' means something a bit different in
English...

A.

Ray Dillinger <bear@sonic.net> writes:
> And this brings up a central problem; the structure of
> experience awards. Given that CRPG players will game the
> experience system whenever they can, because they are like
> junkies and leveling up is crack; how do you arrange the
> experience awards so that they don't do nonsensical things
> that destroy or destructure the adventure?
>
> * Experience awards for exploration
> * Limited experience per species.
> * Big awards tied to accomplishing missions.

Additional possibilities
- make monsters tougher the more of their kind that have been killed
previously (ADoM does this, though with some well-known bugs)
- use a game clock (literal, or hunger, or corruption) to keep PCs
moving instead of hanging around in the Room of Very Easy Monsters

Chris Morris wrote:
> Additional possibilities
> - make monsters tougher the more of their kind that have been killed
> previously (ADoM does this, though with some well-known bugs)

Meh. That doesn't really stop munchkining, and is a bit of a kludgey
hack to a serious problem.

> - use a game clock (literal, or hunger, or corruption) to keep PCs
> moving instead of hanging around in the Room of Very Easy Monsters

Definitely. This is one of the reasons (IMO) that RLs are such great
games. Especially the way ADoM does it, with corruption. Methods of
curing corruption are rare, and there are a limited number of
guaranteed sources, forcing players to keep moving. Whereas food
typically isn't too hard to obtain.

> - the more monsters that are killed in an area, the more likely a
> *really* out-of-depth monster will come to investigate.

Eh, maybe. It really seems silly, except in certain situations.
Also, it'd be kind of silly if the monster who comes to investigate is
uber-powerful. Hell, why couldn't he be weaker occasionally? Maybe a
retarded little goblin who is wondering why he hasn't seen any deer in
the woods for a long time.

As to sending in uber-monsters to investigate, I'm for it as long as
it makes sense and doesn't occur to often. Like, having the powerful
Captain of the Guard investigate why his men haven't shown up for
their shift yet. Or the Necromancer checking his laboratory, to see
why the screams have stopped.

> - don't replace monsters that are killed

This might be interesting, to an extent. Let the player's see the
consequences of their actions.

--
My projects are currently on hold, but I do have
some junk at the site below.

http://www.freewebs.com/timsrl/index.htm

Chris Morris wrote:
>Ray Dillinger writes:
>> And this brings up a central problem; the structure of
>> experience awards. Given that CRPG players will game the
>> experience system whenever they can, because they are like
>> junkies and leveling up is crack; how do you arrange the
>> experience awards so that they don't do nonsensical things
>> that destroy or destructure the adventure?
>>
>> * Experience awards for exploration
>> * Limited experience per species.
>> * Big awards tied to accomplishing missions.
>
>Additional possibilities
> - make monsters tougher the more of their kind that have been killed
> previously (ADoM does this, though with some well-known bugs)
> - use a game clock (literal, or hunger, or corruption) to keep PCs
> moving instead of hanging around in the Room of Very Easy Monsters
> - the more monsters that are killed in an area, the more likely a
> *really* out-of-depth monster will come to investigate.
> - don't replace monsters that are killed

One way is to throw out the numbers and make it an adventure game,
your power is your equipment. We have enough of these crpg math games.

Another way is to just take out all the exploitable bugs out of the
system so that even a munchkin plays like everyone else.

Limited exp per species could work if the limit is low enough (5-50),
so repetitive behaviour isn't encouraged.
Monsters getting tougher doesn't always make sense and won't fix the
problem completely.
A game clock is good, but too often exploitable, and can make the game
stressful if the game is open ended.
Out of depth surprises don't always make sense.
Permanently dead monsters make the game feel static.

So I would give exp for exploring By giving exp only for killing the
first few times. This exp I would rather not call "exp", but some sort
of fighting or spellcasting skill, whatever was used. No reason to
keep the "math game" stamp if the game isn't about it. Getting items
would be the other way to power. They'd come through quests, boss
monsters and secret stashes, which would mean exploring.

The best adventure game I've played is fairy tale adventure 2. Most of
the game is open ended exploring in a very nice amount of content, few
quests (no stressful lists), a weak story with not much guidance. I
don't remember it having exp, but it had weapon skills that rose
slowly. It was good as you weren't pushed anywhere, and couldn't get
lost as things would kill you fast, but you had many ways to explore
still. Things respawned, but slowly. You felt weak in the beginning,
but got bits of items here and there, always trying your limits. I
didn't feel like doing anything repetitive as there was so much
content.

"Timothy Pruett" <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Chris Morris wrote:
>> Additional possibilities
>> - make monsters tougher the more of their kind that have been killed
>> previously (ADoM does this, though with some well-known bugs)
>
> Meh. That doesn't really stop munchkining, and is a bit of a kludgey hack
> to a serious problem.
>
>> - use a game clock (literal, or hunger, or corruption) to keep PCs
>> moving instead of hanging around in the Room of Very Easy Monsters
>
> Definitely. This is one of the reasons (IMO) that RLs are such great
> games. Especially the way ADoM does it, with corruption. Methods of
> curing corruption are rare, and there are a limited number of guaranteed
> sources, forcing players to keep moving. Whereas food

Please no! I hate games with time limits. It's the reason why I never really
got into games like Adom or Fallout.

copx

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

> Because you know better than them what is entertaining for them.

I agree. Everyone would rather play an exciting game with easy moments
and hard moments regulated by your play and not a game where you can
cheat the RNG and the game's setup by becoming far too powerful too
fast. If the developer makes it so that killing sheep over and over
doesent infact skyrocket your exp points then he is doing you a
service. Just like preventing save-scumming, the developer SHOULD make
ingame scumming not worthwhile. A player doesent want to keep a list of
actions in mind that they could do but shouldn't do for the playability
of the game just like a player shouldn't just kill sheep 500 times to
get to level 15....
Its the developers job to make a balenced game.... If you want to cheat
i could name a hundred commercial games that have that function whithin
easy grasp....

But seriously. Preventing scumming is just like part of game
balence.... its not unnatural.... The game should be balenced shouldn't
it.

Quaffing from fountains/sinks in nethack is a good example. quaffing
can be really good... or really bad. if instead of there being a 10%
chance for a bad effect and a 10% chance for a good one there was just
a 5% chance for a good one and no chance for a bad effect... Then the
player could just sit there Quaffing until he has all the rings and
whishs available in the game!

thats not balenced is it.... A game is supposed to be fun but for most
of us, balanced means--more fun!

-Thomas
RL: CHAZM

Ray Dillinger <bear@sonic.net> schrieb:
> His projects failed because he first used a system that rewarded
> inappropriate behavior, and second kept resurrecting everyone!

> * Experience awards for exploration
> * Limited experience per species
> * Big awards tied to accomplishing missions

You have, of course, left out 'do away with the experience system'.

--
Jim Strathmeyer

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Bear:
> It should come slower.

Mhmm. Definitly. I dont see the biggest problem being to 10-500 hp
problem.... Sure the difference between first and twentyith level is
huge but it is a fantasy and hopefully in a given game a 10th level
player with great items and good stratagy could beat a 15th level
player with average items and not as good stratagy.... Maybe its old
fashined now but i like the levels system from ADnD. I do agree the
leveling needs to be slower. In a lot of RLs it seems like it takes ten
minutes to get your first levelup...! What. In nethack i've done that
in under two minutes many times! It makes levels trivial. Your first
level should come after 3-5 hours of play and many monsters killed and
most importantly lots of terrain explored! and then the levels should
keep comming SLOWER after that... not faster like often! In my opinion
the main (only?) big problem with the leveling system is the way it is
trivialized by speed leveling....

As far as 20th level being too powerful and too different from first
level, call it suspending disbelief, call it magic, call it a
representation of their skills of taking damage in smaller quantities
(taking arrows on the shoulder not the chest!) or whatever.... but i
think it makes the game more fun!

*Note: i dont think it should be the only system... Chazm will have
levels, specialized classes, and a comprehensive skills system also....

-Thomas
RL: CHAZM

"copx" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
>"Timothy Pruett" <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Definitely. This is one of the reasons (IMO) that RLs are such great
>> games. Especially the way ADoM does it, with corruption. Methods of
>> curing corruption are rare, and there are a limited number of guaranteed
>> sources, forcing players to keep moving. Whereas food
>
>Please no! I hate games with time limits. It's the reason why I never really
>got into games like Adom or Fallout.

ADOM does *not* have a hard time limit for its main quest. People have
posted YAVPs with game-clock times in excess of one year and relatively
modest lists of corruptions, and not all of them were lawfuls born under
the Unicorn who saved their cashing-in of the Unicorn quest reward until
after they'd closed the gate. Also, scoring an Ultra ending, while it
requires you to do *some* things relatively quickly, also requires you to
do some things that are relatively hard to achieve until quite a lot of
game time has elapsed. For that matter, anyone who does the quickling
tree adds quite a lot of elapsed time to their game clock; time passes
strangely in there.

Basically: In ADOM, you have far more than enough time to win the game
without major risk, unless you decide to fritter away several game-months
farming the lower (deeply chaos-irradiated) reaches of the dungeon for
potions of gain attributes.
illusion/kinetics controlling is love

laEEKSPMAva@kolumbus.fi (Lauri Vallo) wrote:
>Another way is to just take out all the exploitable bugs out of the
>system so that even a munchkin plays like everyone else.

If you somehow achieve this, please let Statesman and Positron know :)

Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> laEEKSPMAva@kolumbus.fi (Lauri Vallo) wrote:
> >Another way is to just take out all the exploitable bugs out of the
> >system so that even a munchkin plays like everyone else.
>
> If you somehow achieve this, please let Statesman and Positron know :)

What's the exploitable bug in Rogue?

--
Chris

The Sheep <thesheep@ sheep.prv.pl> writes:

> Well, it's not that we lacks the ways to punish scumming.

Perhaps I'm missing some crucial point here, but I don't understand just why
scumming must be punished. (In normal individual play, that is - it's obvious
that for competitions and the like, you need to have a fair situation for all
your contestants.)

So anyway, let's say I make a roguelike, and three people play it. One plays
it "straight", and finishes it with a record-low turn count. One "scums" for
good items and waits until he can descend from level to level in absolute
safety. When he finishes, his turn count is 100x that of the first player.
The third player "cheats", backing up his save files and restoring them to
avoid dying and other negative situations.

Now here's what I don't understand. My goal in writing an RL is to entertain
people. Let's suppose that all three of these guys enjoyed playing my game,
even though they each had their own way of playing it. I think of that as a
success. So, why would I want to "punish" the player(s) who chose the "wrong"
way to play?

sherm--

Thomas wrote:
> Bear:
> > It should come slower.
> Your first level should come after 3-5 hours of play and many monsters
> killed and most importantly lots of terrain explored!

Allow me to play devil's advocate here, but I am going to disagree. I
think that your character should be able to achieve their first level
up in around 30-60 minutes of actual dungeon exploration. If we were
talking about conventional CRPGs such as Morrowind, I would be inclined
to agree with you on this point, but RLs are a different class
entirely, something I've quickly learned as I shifted my game from
conventional CRPG to RL. Most RLs are low on plot and high on
adventure. Spending 3-5 hours battling bats and orcs just so my
personified '@' can reach level 2 isn't my idea of fun. It feels more
like a forced version of scumming to me.

> and then the levels should keep comming SLOWER after that... not faster
> like often! In my opinion the main (only?) big problem with the leveling
> system is the way it is trivialized by speed leveling....

Im not disagreeing here. Speed leveling spoils a game's balance,
assuming that the game had balance to begin with. The first few levels
of any RPG are dull and unenlightening, but once a character has some
expanded abilities, some options on where to go and what monsters to
fight, and some equipment to help distinguish them from the rest of the
level n fighters, that's when you want to have 3-5 hours per level.

Keep in mind the attention spans of many players though, you'll need to
make sure your game world is big enough and packed with enough content
to keep a level 10 character happy challenged as he tries to make his
way to level 11. If my lvl 10 character is having trouble battling the
snow beasts of the ice cave, and the only real leveling option is the
vile crypt, I dont want to have to spend 6-10 hours in the crypt
wandering around battling the same 3-4 creatures with little feeling of
accomplishment.

> As far as 20th level being too powerful and too different from first
> level, call it suspending disbelief, call it magic, call it a
> representation of their skills of taking damage in smaller quantities
> (taking arrows on the shoulder not the chest!) or whatever.... but i
> think it makes the game more fun!

Im peachy with suspending my disbelief also. Realism is all well and
good, but part of RPGs for me has always been "get more hit points,
kill things with more hit points, etc." Sometimes Im a very
numbers-oriented person, and seeing an extra digit of HP on my
character gives me a REAL feeling of accomplishment.

> *Note: i dont think it should be the only system... Chazm will have
> levels, specialized classes, and a comprehensive skills system also....

Good luck merging classes and skills! (non-sarcastic good luck, btw. Im
looking forward to seeing how it turns out)

At 7 Aug 2005 15:53:54 -0700,
Kaleth wrote:

> Lauri Vallo ha escrito:
>> On 07 Aug 2005 19:10:31 +0100, Chris Morris wrote:
> Now that you mention an old C64 game, I remember another one with a
> (maybe?) similar behavior. In Soldier of Fortune, when you stayed too
> long walking an area, Death itself came directly after you. Likewise,
> when you abused the gold pots, they threw monsters at you instead of
> coins.

> Behaviors like these could be imported into a RL to prevent scumming.

Well, it's not that we lacks the ways to punish scumming.
There seems to be some problems with *detecting* scumming, so that
you won't punish fo something which is not scumming, for example
the player having extraordinary luck.

You don't want to strip the 1-in-1000 exceptions, because they make the
game interesting (and with lots of different exceptions, their chances are
a lot greater than 1-in-1000).

--
Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski @**@_
<..> ] 0110110?

At 08 Aug 2005 11:02:35 +0100,
Chris Morris wrote:

> Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>> laEEKSPMAva@kolumbus.fi (Lauri Vallo) wrote:
>> >Another way is to just take out all the exploitable bugs out of the
>> >system so that even a munchkin plays like everyone else.
>>
>> If you somehow achieve this, please let Statesman and Positron know :)
>
> What's the exploitable bug in Rogue?

You could exploit dragon's fireballs, for example.

--
Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski @**@_
(==) 3 Yawn?

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Yeah. I like the typical hack 'n slash of Rl's but to me the most
important parts of an rl are ADnD style system, Ascii interface and
graphics, Permadeath, and strange magic and effects. I dont see hack 'n
slash as a requirment. I always liked the BG style storylines and being
able to talk to people. Many have pointed out how an RL needs to focus
more on exploration then kill everything in sight and i think that is
how it needs to happen. Sure, its fun to go off and kill 25 skelletons
in a gravyard and then fight the master lich, but finding cities and
talking with people, fighting in taverns, and joining theives guilds
would be far more fun as the majority of the game....

> Im looking forward to seeing how it turns out

Thanks!

-Thomas
RL: CHAZM

The Sheep <thesheep@ sheep.prv.pl> writes:
> At 08 Aug 2005 11:02:35 +0100,
> Chris Morris wrote:
> > Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> >>
> >> If you somehow achieve this, please let Statesman and Positron know :)
> >
> > What's the exploitable bug in Rogue?
>
> You could exploit dragon's fireballs, for example.

Great. Now I'm going to have to go back to playing Rogue to see if I
can get as far as the dragons... (I never got further than L18)

--
Chris

The Sheep wrote:
> At Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:23:50 -0400,
> Sherm Pendley wrote:
>
> > The Sheep <thesheep@ sheep.prv.pl> writes:
> >
> >> Well, it's not that we lacks the ways to punish scumming.
> >
> > Perhaps I'm missing some crucial point here, but I don't understand just why
> > scumming must be punished. (In normal individual play, that is - it's obvious
> > that for competitions and the like, you need to have a fair situation for all
> > your contestants.)
>

> I tend to agree that the other way, that is increasing the outcome from
> interesting play, could give you much better results.

I think this is the thing designers should work towards. If your game
is boring enough for a significant majority of the players to get more
fun out of watching herbs grow for an appreciable amount of time,
rather than exploring the dungeon environment, you've got yourself an
issue.

Granted, there are certain players that, even if there's an exciting
world out there, will still pick the activities that maximized the
game. Its not something that can be avoided in a hard-coded game, and
its difficult at best to avoid it in a truly random one as well.