Whats the best speed for WebServer ?

G

hello guys
PIII 866 or 933 or 1Ghz ?
Dual or Singal Processors ?
thanks

G

Obviously 1GHz! The higher the better for anything :)

Seriously, if you've gotta keep prices down, go for Ultra 160 SCSI, 512MB RAM, then maybe two (cheaper) processors on a ServerWorks motherboard. If you're gonna do lots of cgi, php, especially SQL, then go as fast as you can.

Recommended:

2x 1GHz P3 Xeon (highest you can afford)
1024MB PC133 (4x256MB DIMM) (memory is required!)
Ultra 160 SCSI RAID (fast disk array)
Gigabits NIC (fast network to your router)
15" Monitor (don't need much)
ATI Xpert '98 PCI (don't need much)
DVD ROM (for loading all those essential programs!)

~ I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully ~

crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
um...I believe Intel never authorized 1ghz's to be paired up...something about interference. 933 is the best you can do with dulies for now

~Crapple0

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Crapple is wrong. Serverworks on supermicro 370DLE and above supports dual 1Ghz.

ok, you can run website from 486/33 if you wanted too. It all depends on what content your serving.

Are you serving a database and to how many users?
Are you serving streaming video or audio?
Are you serving simple home page or pictures for ebay?
You planning on over 1000 hits per day ?

You really dont need alot of Mhz if your serving a few static pages and some pictures. It all depends on the content.

crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1. FUGGER, shove it

2. my AMD K6/2 serves up some pretty nasty ASP pages, including some that process images...and it's fine. Not spectacular, but fine

3. if you decide to turn this into another CPU flame war, I'm going to come to your house and kick your ass...we're all sick of it.

~Crapple0

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"

G

My db server(running SQL Server) is a dual PIII 1ghz on a Abit VP6. Other than the slow a** ide raid I have no problems. I will say scsi is most definitely a must. You can get 2 Xeon 900's with 2mb of L2 and it won't make a blind bit of difference with ide. You may want to wait a bit and get Ultra 320.....just a suggestion.

...Sure wish AMD would hurry up with a dual board...

<A HREF="mailto:ddavis@4usgeeks.com">ddavis@4usgeeks.com</A>

G

i just built a new web server
dual p3 1ghz@133 (1ghz seems to work fine)
intel stl2 scsi board
2x256mb crucial registered cl2 ecc pc133ram
2x18gb 10xrpm seagate cheetah drives mirroring.
enlight rackmount case with 2x300watt p/s

its fast as hell

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I would go 64-bit for a web server. If you have the money for state of the art get one of these 64-bit Alpha's, IBM's, SUN SPARC's. True internet speed max bandwith. Or if its a plain old site a Celeron 733, 128mb sdram, i810e MATX w/ onboard video, 10gb in WIN ME would be a good speed. If its a very big site Dual P3 700, Serverworks Motherboard w/ RAGE XL 8mb, 256mb sdram, 40gb, WIN 2k could do it just fine. Ultra huge site then Dual P3 XEON 700 L2 2mb, Serverworks mobo w/ RAGE xl 8mb, 512mb SDRAM, 100gb, Win2k Server should do well.

Note: AMD processors are okay(fast and nice) but your Server is on 24/7 and really busy at times. So the p3 runs cooler then the Athlon or Duron so the only real choice is a slower p3 processor.

Leader of the Anti VIA-Nvidia Army

Fltsimbuff

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
I would not even consider a Celeron... It just isn't worth the money. The Duron is MUCH faster clock-for-clock, and cheaper too. The memory bandwidth on anything before the Celeron 800 is pathetic. Also, the Duron runs fine, and within Temperature specs when @ 100% CPU utilization for extended periods of time, so log as you don't overclock it.
(Had mine running at 100% for 20 days straight... heated the room up a bit, but held at about 104 Degrees F, which is well within the acceptable range. (and this is with a cheap standard heatsink/fan with a spot of thermal grease).

--Fltsimbuff

TRENDING THREADS