Sign in with
Your question

found computer in trash can't get windows come on

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2001 4:37:30 AM

HI guys,
I found someone else's junk I hope will be my treasure. The computer I found has an AMD K-5 processor. Windows 95 installed on it. I can only get it to boot from My packard bell recovery disk. I have run scandisk on it and has fixed errors. I think at one point I have actually overwritten the original config and autoexec bat files with the packard bell system. I think that part of the disk was compressed. I am assuming this from the following info I got running snooper exe Type 47 Heads 114 Sec/cyl 73 cylinders24,951
Pre-comp 28,499 L-z0ne 8,293 capacity -1061MB

If the disk was compressed how could I go about formating the whole hard drive and reinstalling windows? wouldn't I need a program to decompress windows? before formating? I would really appreciate any help or advice you guys can give me. You guys all have the newest and coolest systems and I am surfing with a model T. All help would be appreciated if I screw it up I haven't lost anything because it cost me nothing. The gentleman who threw it away said it crashed on him and he was unable to get it up and running. I know it is probably something so simple for you guys. Thanks alot
April 16, 2001 6:10:44 AM

I think you should have left it where you found it.. :) 

Well if you want to format that thing simply got to drive H:
it should have one (it is the TRUE drive c: now is compressed) and delete everything (there should be 4-5 files one huge ) and reboot from a floppy disk use fdisk to delete the partition/s and then format. and all done.

<b>-----------------------</b>
-<font color=red><b>R.K.</b></font color=red>
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2001 7:48:09 AM

If it is compressed in Windows or DOS, just boot to a Win98 boot floppy and then run Fdisk, then Format. If you come up with bad sectors, throw away the hard drive and get a different used one.

Suicide is painless...........
Related resources
!