More Bang for the Buck-Memory or video card?

Dimension 4300
upgraded the processor to 2.6GHz
512MB ram
separate 80GB hard drive just for video
nvidia geForce2 mx/mx400 with latest drivers

I have just started to do quite a bit of video editing, and would like some
more speed in the re-encode if possible. I am editing shows from my
Dishplayer PVR to DVD. This process takes about 7 minutes for each minute
of video.

Which upgrade, memory to 1GB or video card will be worth the money spent, or
is this about the best I am going to get from this PC?

Thanks
Bob
8 answers Last reply
More about more bang buck memory video card

    Video card won't do anything.
    Memory likely won't do much.

    It's just CPU intensive.
    "Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > Dimension 4300
    > upgraded the processor to 2.6GHz
    > 512MB ram
    > separate 80GB hard drive just for video
    > nvidia geForce2 mx/mx400 with latest drivers
    >

    > I have just started to do quite a bit of video editing, and would like
    > some
    > more speed in the re-encode if possible. I am editing shows from my
    > Dishplayer PVR to DVD. This process takes about 7 minutes for each minute
    > of video.
    >
    > Which upgrade, memory to 1GB or video card will be worth the money spent,
    > or
    > is this about the best I am going to get from this PC?
    >

    > Thanks
    > Bob

    is you 80gb drive 'just for video' on the same controller as the primary
    hard drive? if it is perhaps you should consider moving it to the secondary
    controller. though you can have two ide drives on a single controller, only
    one of them can be accessed at a time. if any of your work involves copying
    data between the two drives then moving one to the secondary controller
    could theoretically double your performance... also, if your hard disk
    light it on the entire time of processing (which i suspect it is) then
    perhaps you should look into getting a large scsi drive and add in
    controller as a way to improve performance...

    "Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > Dimension 4300
    > upgraded the processor to 2.6GHz
    > 512MB ram
    > separate 80GB hard drive just for video
    > nvidia geForce2 mx/mx400 with latest drivers
    >

    > I have just started to do quite a bit of video editing, and would like
    some
    > more speed in the re-encode if possible. I am editing shows from my
    > Dishplayer PVR to DVD. This process takes about 7 minutes for each minute
    > of video.
    >
    > Which upgrade, memory to 1GB or video card will be worth the money spent,
    or
    > is this about the best I am going to get from this PC?
    >

    > Thanks
    > Bob

    Thanks, That was sort of what I thought.

    Bob
    > Video card won't do anything.
    > Memory likely won't do much.
    >
    > It's just CPU intensive.

    All of the video files are on one drive, the hard drive light blinks
    randomly while processing, at least I have that going for me : )
    I keep looking at the "workhorses" in my PC mags. Maybe next year.

    Bob

    > is you 80gb drive 'just for video' on the same controller as the primary
    > hard drive? if it is perhaps you should consider moving it to the
    secondary
    > controller. though you can have two ide drives on a single controller,
    only
    > one of them can be accessed at a time. if any of your work involves
    copying
    > data between the two drives then moving one to the secondary controller
    > could theoretically double your performance... also, if your hard disk
    > light it on the entire time of processing (which i suspect it is) then
    > perhaps you should look into getting a large scsi drive and add in
    > controller as a way to improve performance...

    to be clear... if your application is on the boot drive with the operating
    system, then it is probably using the primary drive for temporary files and
    then writing the final product to the store location (your just for video
    drive)... so if the boot drive and the video drive are on the same ide
    controller then this is a bottleneck in your system. hope that this
    description reads more clearly than my first.... the cost of moving the
    drives to alternate controllers is only time... and it may pay you back
    handsomely.

    > All of the video files are on one drive, the hard drive light blinks
    > randomly while processing, at least I have that going for me : )
    > I keep looking at the "workhorses" in my PC mags. Maybe next year.
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > is you 80gb drive 'just for video' on the same controller as the primary
    > > hard drive? if it is perhaps you should consider moving it to the
    > secondary
    > > controller. though you can have two ide drives on a single controller,
    > only
    > > one of them can be accessed at a time. if any of your work involves
    > copying
    > > data between the two drives then moving one to the secondary controller
    > > could theoretically double your performance... also, if your hard disk
    > > light it on the entire time of processing (which i suspect it is) then
    > > perhaps you should look into getting a large scsi drive and add in
    > > controller as a way to improve performance...

    Thanks for the follow up.

    I have set my applications to use the same drive for the temporary files as
    I am for the video. At this time I have two 80GB drives on my primary ide
    controller , and my Iomega SuperDVD writer as primary and a CDRW as
    secondary on the second ide controller. The Iomega must be in the primary
    position on the second controller. I am not sure if this leaves me much
    wiggle room to be switching drives around.

    Would putting my CDRW on the primary controller in the slave position and
    the second hard drive on the secondary ide controller as slave make any
    difference or create problems? I know one benefit of this would be copying
    a CD disc to disc and not have to use the hard drive to store the files, but
    I seldom do this.

    I finally got all my internal drives, external Maxtor USB 2.0 and dual
    firewire enclosure setup and working, I am hesitant to mess with anything.

    This thing looks almost as bad as the back of my entertainment center. LOL
    Game controllers;USB hub;two battery power supplies(lots of poweroutages
    here); cables hanging out for the camera and the Pronto Remote control;
    hookups for the vcr and sat TV, I think that covers all of it. I have
    considered getting a converter for my JEEP so that I can hook up the PC to
    the Jeep during poweroutages. : )

    Bob

    > to be clear... if your application is on the boot drive with the operating
    > system, then it is probably using the primary drive for temporary files
    and
    > then writing the final product to the store location (your just for video
    > drive)... so if the boot drive and the video drive are on the same ide
    > controller then this is a bottleneck in your system. hope that this
    > description reads more clearly than my first.... the cost of moving the
    > drives to alternate controllers is only time... and it may pay you back
    > handsomely.

    i think it will only make a performance difference to you if you also
    configure the application to use one drive for temporary work and the other
    for destination. if you don't want to change that (or can't because of
    space limitations) then changing the drive location will not make any
    difference. switching the physical locations of drives will change their
    drive letter, but this can be overridden within windows.

    >i think it will only make a performance difference to you if you also
    > configure the application to use one drive for temporary work and the
    > other
    > for destination.

    I will give this a try. I guess I misunderstood at first. I had configured
    the application to use my "Video only drive" for the temporary work files
    and the destination, I thought this would save the app from accessing two
    drives. I have all of my .mpg files etc on the same drive.

    Bob

Dell Graphics Cards Computers