Hey BLUE BALLS Answer this

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2001 9:55:23 AM

Tell me something

What can a Intel processor Do that AMD can't

Answer me that.

I want to know what you beat off to each night that satisfies your mind whats inside your tower

please do share

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

More about : hey blue balls answer

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2001 10:04:31 AM

Ok bitch:
1. They don't fry as easily when you oc them.
2. If you need duallies there no option.
3. If you a pro user the 3D pro graphics cards are way better optimised for the P3 instruction set. Thats why the whores at AMD want to go with SSE2
4. Check out the 3D ring for speed/stability issues
5. Count the number of AMD probs vs Intel probs in this forum alone and you'll find out a few things there to.
6. Your a bitch in denial. Look at the facts. Till then F>CK OFF!!!

"Cock-a-doodle-do" is what I say to my girl when I wake her UP in the morning!!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2001 10:09:19 AM

Oh... Lets overclock shall we..

Gee lets overclock my 800 to say 1200 and oh no..
it blew
hmmm bad AMD bad bad bad...

For one.. Overclocking if u burn out ur chip on AMD or INTEL, no questions asked its ur FAULT
Ur taking something into ur own hands.
Thats why they lock the F**KEN Processors DUMB ASS.

For one thing
i asked u what i cant run on my processor

U are Avoiding the question mr 70-80's verbal skills

I ask again

what cant i run?

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2001 10:11:36 AM

Processors are not made to overclock anyways

If Intel is so great

IF THEY are so great

why cant the p4 beat out the aging Athlon platform?
Why does AMD keep Accelling ?

Why

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2001 10:45:56 AM

Look slut bag you are known as a "pussy user" in the industry. You play games, surf the net write love letters to your sister, bullshit like that. Real people use real computers for real purposes...like engineers, draftsman, animators, compositors etc. AMD cannot go dual. All top end software is multi-threaded...go check out the home sites of Autocad, Catia, Microstation, Maya, Softimage, 3D max or even Adobe. Their software is optimised for duallies. Can your AMD slut machine go dual? No [-peep-] it can't. When you write you [-peep-] you let the whole forum know what a "pussy user" you are. Any computer from 1980's would do what you need. Why would I be looking at the latest chips or SCSI interface, FSB's or whatever if I was a "pussy user" like you? So why don't you bend over, spread your ass cheeks and let that huge Intel cock tear your ass open and makes its way into the cavity your brain would normally be in if you had one. Suck that bitch!!! You see slut not being able to go duals or continuelly frying are two HUGE HUGE issues. Can't deny that can you maggot? Slap, slap, slap, slap, slap....there the sound of my intel balls against your amd ass!!!!

April 16, 2001 11:23:53 AM

Slut bag?

haha

If Intel is so great, can you answer a few questions for me?
first, why does my great intel computer crash if I bump the case?

Or, my fathers computer that is intel everything, incompatible with many games, etc?

Because I thought intel was compatible with everything, and you say AMD in compatible with nothing?

Jump, Jump Now!!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2001 3:59:13 PM

Hi Tonestar,
You know, I just finished reading some of your responses in the "3DS Render Benchmark" thread. You come off there as an informed, rational person with something to contribute. This is pretty hard to believe considering your obnoxious, obscene & generally disruptive behavior in other threads.

We would all benefit greatly if you toned it down and participated in these forums in a civil manner. The forums would become a little more useful and pleasant for the rest of us, and your apparently informed opinion on 3d rendering & Intel SMP might actually be heard.
Thanks

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2001 4:18:59 PM

Slap the monkeys ass slap it good maybe even whip it. Ahahahahahahaha thas the funniest [-peep-] i ever heard since the acynom AMD.Ahahahahahaha.

SPUDMUFFIN

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:
April 16, 2001 4:40:56 PM

ok, first off it really doesn't matter to me which camp you're in, but you're not going to get anyone to listen to you seriously while using language like yours.

Secondly, the initial question was what can Intel do that AMD cannot?

SMP - correct. However, Lack of chipset support != Not SMP capable chip. Wait until the 760MP comes out and someone tries plugging a Tbird into it to see if it works ok?

Fried CPUs - not solely AMD's fault. They should have put a thermal diode in there yes, but if you can't install an HSF properly maybe you deserve to get your CPU fried.

P3 instruction set - Excluding SSE/SSE2/3DNow!, the P3 and the Athlon both fully support the x86 instruction set.

Speed vs Stability - Lets forget about speed, cause benchmarks pretty much have been run by everybody and
the Tbird usually comes out on top clock for clock. Stability, you're blaming the wrong company. Looking at most of the problems involving AMD cpus on this forum (and others), you'll see that most of them are due to the motherboard. In which case the proper thing to point the finger at is Via.

Lastly, while I can't agree with tbirdinside's posts most of the time, I think he has a valid question here.
Insults benefit no one.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2001 4:41:47 PM

give me a freakin' break! All these people acting like a bunch of kids! Are we rational adults or a bunch of 15 year olds who haven't figured out how to work out our differences rationally? I CAN.

Heres why I like AMD:
Cheaper
I believe it has better performance, but at least the price/performance ratio is better.
I like to root for the under dog.
I like cheap.
I don't like RDRAM.

Reasons Intel is good:
Faster Megahertz.
Theoretically better performance.
Newer Tech.
Brandname assurance, trusted company.
SMP.

There, I argued sensibly and without flaming. If all your CPU buying decisions are based on emotion, none of you flaming idiots can make a sensible decision by yourself anyways. From what I see on all these posts, there is nothing that would make me want to buy either processor.

Aklein

Life is hard...Live with it.
April 16, 2001 5:54:20 PM

"Faster Megahertz"

Oooh. MHz means nothing.

"Newer Tech."

The only new tech Intel has is the P4, which sucks. P3 is definately not new technology, hehe.........

From now on when someone asks you how fast your computer is, tell them your benchmark scores.
April 16, 2001 6:38:11 PM

tonestar=moron. For such an obnoxious loser like you who goes off pissing on everybody you sure don't know that much. <b>FOR THE AVERAGE USER DUAL PROCESSORS MEAN [-peep-].</b> I don't know anyone who uses those programs. So maybe an Athlon isn't for everyone, NASA can go use P4's for all I care.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2001 7:03:19 PM

I know Griz, MHZ means nothing, but hey, I was trying to give Intel a fighting chance! :) 

Aklein

Life is hard...Live with it.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2001 7:18:51 PM

>FOR THE AVERAGE USER DUAL PROCESSORS MEAN [-peep-].

Well, if that's the argument, then for the average user anything beyond a Celeron 333 means nothing. But this this forum & tomshardware is not likely read much by the average user.

In practice, there is.
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2001 7:37:00 PM

If your computer crashes when you bump the case it is caused by a DEFECTIVE ASSEMBLER, since you can't figure that out I'll assume it's you. It's called a grounded circuit.
If your dad's computer won't play games it's either too old or needs a better video card.
If your going to make an argument at least put some thought into it!

Suicide is painless...........
April 16, 2001 7:39:49 PM

Hehe... I thought so, but wasn't sure.... :wink:

From now on when someone asks you how fast your computer is, tell them your benchmark scores.
April 16, 2001 8:35:03 PM

Yes well, it did work fine for about 2 years, before this happened, and now it does all sort of wierd things, like restarting all by itself, etc, STOP errors, etc. and my father's computer is just a year old...

Jump, Jump Now!!
April 16, 2001 8:42:40 PM

I rather have blue balls than have green ones, you know green means mold, blue means excitement!

>What can a Intel processor Do that AMD can't

save your investment.

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2001 9:52:39 PM

Apps Meltdown

You say amd is not Pentium Compatable

just what does that mean

Please share with us.

I wanna know what my AMD can't do

And ur changing the subject again =Þ

April 16, 2001 10:00:31 PM

You guy's want to know what is really bad about most of the posts i have been reading the last few days. the people that come hear that actually want to learn something or ask genuine questions about problems they are having with thier various machine, whether they be AMD or Intel based, don't get what it is that they came for which is to further their knowledge of computers or to get help on fixing various issues with their machines.
April 16, 2001 10:48:58 PM

Damn Somebody call 911 we've just been violated!!!!!!!
Why don't you tell us how you really feel!!!!!
I have had both systems and both worked just fine.
didn't have to take out a loan on the AMD system so that makes it a more viable choice.

Rock out with your AMD out
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2001 11:17:17 PM

Fromat the hard drive, do a thourough scandisk, and reload the OS. Clean the heatsink. And if you still have problems, it could be electrical damage.
As for your father's computer, it probably has one of those cheap motherboards with integrated video. Maybe even a crappy Celeron processor.

Suicide is painless...........
April 16, 2001 11:25:49 PM

LOL just got one of those in the shop today. Some guy was gone on vacation for 2 months, he came home, turned on his computer and.... well anyways, a year ago he paid a lot of money for his computer and it is crap with integrated video and auto and a cheap celeron processor. oh well.

April 17, 2001 12:47:57 AM

Unless that Tyan board doesn't really exist- AMD can not go dual is not a valid statement, because they have.

My Jesus is whiter than your Jesus.
April 17, 2001 1:10:45 AM

AMD is also a trusted co. I got a bad 1.1 athlon from this [-peep-] little store were I live. Tried to take it back to them. They wouldnt do [-peep-] for me. Then I sent it to AMD spoke to them over the phone(very good Customer service). They tested it, came up defective, and sent me a new one promtly. So I guess they're pretty trustworthy.

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2001 1:19:38 AM

Thanks for your input ergeorge. Since you are speaking about the topics at hand I will respond to you. It just infuriates me when people spend forever running around the web quoting links etc for tiny differences in whatever component. It annoys me when some little home user pretends that a simple render test is the ultimate way to decide a systems configuration. Also so much is spoken about speed. Whatever happened to reliablilty? My greatest annoyance is when people try to attempt to discredit another debate by focusing on issues that are totally not related to the debate their trying to discredit!!!! Like tbirdinside. I think we ought to have a power users forum where you are required to state your occupation, your experience level with various kinds of software etc. The biggest crime in this forum is aimed at new younger users, that might go out there and order their system based on what they have read in these forums. If you don't understand something, don't pretend you do. Not for my sake but for that 13 year old kid out there or for that 22 year old who is gonna spend all his money on a flashy computer. You don't need to tell pro animators, draftsman or engineers much because most already know the real facts. Have a look at the "3D Render Benchmark" again. Whatever is said in there isn't really that relevant to most animators or draftsman because they just don't spend most of thier days rendering. Even then they do it on an alternate computer to minimise downtime. If you actually make money from rendering all day you would buy a render box. See my point? I just just wish we had a few more real people quoting real times for some of the issues raised in these forums.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2001 1:53:24 AM

You talk about most of the problems on this forum involving AMD cpu's being the fault of Via or other chipset manufacturers. You are right about one thing. Most of the problems on this forum are about AMD cpu's. People who buy a new computer want a reliable unit. Pointing the figure at anyone once you've brought your computer home won't fix the problem will it? With regard to the 760MP units. Let's wait until its released. If you know anything about SMP you'll know that getting it to run stable is a huge issue. I doubt they will get this right the first time and I think our forum will be full of new duallie owners tearing their hair out. But lets wait and see. I want a cpu that doesn't fry, that I can run as a dual or quad unit, one that is supported well by chipset manufacturers (my Via 694xdp chipset is doing a brilliant job with my dual 733's...not 1 single prob.), one that has an instruction set supported by the major software vendors, a cpu thats adopted by pro graphics card manufacturers and one thats stable. If some little kid asks me what he needs to have to surf the net, send emails to his/her friends I'II tell him it doesn't matter much. When someone asks me what they need to design a robot or multi-storey building or a feature film, I can only recommend Intel, because they have a reliable multi cpu solution....so does Alpha...but definetly not AMD. Those are the facts at this present moment my friends!!

April 17, 2001 1:54:56 AM

tbirdinside, I really am starting to get sick of you spewing off stuff like this. If you want to support AMD then do so with dignity. Don't try to be another amdmeltdown or spudmuffin as these 2 have proved themselves to be underage and uneducated. At least Fugger is intelligent when he argues on the side of Intel. I don't always agree with what he says but at least I respect him enough to listen to what he has to say.
April 17, 2001 2:10:32 AM

tonestar, good points indeed. I hope AMD gets MP right the first time but I also won't deny that this being they're first shot things could get hairy. I also agree that the lack of thermal protection in Athlon's IS a serious issue. If you take the proper precautions when installing an Athlon everything will go fine, but let's not kid ourselves people, not everyone is perfect. And who hasn't wanted to "just test it for a few seconds"? On the other hand I also believe that both the pure price AND the price/performace (yes these are different) are enough to overcome this risk. It is also my opinion that references to stability (or lack of) about Amds are completely false. My Amd machine at work running Windows2000 runs for months without missing a beat (unless I need to restart it for a system change). But I have also seen the same from Intel machines.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2001 2:26:54 AM

Firstly let me thank you for your civilised and accurate response. When I refer to stability I am talking about cpu usage at flatlining at 100% for hours. There are many reports around the 3D ring about people who are having diffucilty rendering with AMD for projects that extend into thousands of frames. Just remember this is a big issue because 1800 frames is only 60 seconds of footage or 72 seconds depending on where you live (ntsc or pal/secam), Don't forget this is about the smallest kind of job. Thats why many AMD owners have to render about 100 frames at a time and then recompile in some kind of editor. (What a pain in the but that can be). I am not talking about stability while playing solitaire or using Microsoft paint. Ok?

April 17, 2001 2:43:31 AM

The reason most issues on this forum are AMD related is because most people who read this site have AMD processors!
in reply to: "I am not talking about stability while playing solitaire or using Microsoft paint. Ok?" I have this to say: AMD's Athlon and Duron were designed for the consumer range of average joe to hardcore gamer. Perhaps Intel is more suited to handle professional animation, but I don't think that is a very wide population to shoot for when designing a mass produced processor. I agree with you on several points though, but I think that you under-rate
AMD.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2001 3:12:03 AM

No tempus I don't think the reason most issues on this forum are about AMD problems is because most people have AMD's. If you look around the AMD vs Intel debate is fairly intense and rather even. It just means that there are more problems with AMD's posted because there are more AMD problems. Lot's more AMD problems. Duallies are not only for animators either. Yes, I do think your right about AMD's being targeted towards "average joe's". So what's it like being average?

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2001 3:15:23 AM

duallies?

Another lame ass word in your lispy vocabulary

April 17, 2001 3:16:08 AM

I disagree. The Intel-AMD debate is entirely uneven. There are 15 AMD supporters for every Intel supporter on this forum. In fact that is probably an understatement. The only Intel supporters other than you that come to mind are AMDMeltdown, Fugger, RDRAM (moron), and to some degree Crashman. Everyone else seems to be pro AMD.

April 17, 2001 3:22:39 AM

This is true. There are not very many Intel people here at all. Even less intelligent pro-Intel, but they are there.

"I have fried an Athlon myself, but I'll never admit to it."
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2001 3:39:45 AM

A few points...

I can't comment on AMD stability with 3D rendering. But I can talk about stability under heavy loads. My 1.2 GHz TBird-C has been running a Genetic Algorithm (a type of AI search/optimization technique) for 3 straight days now. This is very FP intensive code, the CPU is pegged.

I've also done various linux kernel compiles simultaneously with the GA code. Kernel compiles are a pretty good stability test for a system. Very disk & bus intensive. If you have a stability problem with your box, this is as likely as anything to turn it up. No problems.

I also ripped & burned a few CDs while the GA run was going. No coasters & no stability problems at all.

I will say though, I'm running a 3ware raid card in my home system, so I don't have any HD on the IDE controllers. A bug in the via 686B southbridge southbridge has been causing trouble with large file transfers (> 100 MB) between IDE devices. There should be a bios update to address this soon (if it isn't out already.

Again, I can't comment on 3D rendering stability. But that's not the only way to load a CPU.

As for dual CPUs. They may be great for rendering. But I've seen bus-limited apps that are better off on a single cpu box. It all comes down to what you're running.

Just my experience.

In practice, there is.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ergeorge on 04/17/01 11:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2001 6:24:16 AM

You forgot about me ??? How rude this is unexceptable jeffery go get a stick and beat this poor man for his ... how you say in french ... arogance.

SPUDMUFFIN

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2001 8:08:32 AM

a few fact for you,

you cannot burn up a P4 or P3,
they have special circutry to protect when a certain load is reached..
in fact the P4 is so advanced that is will slow down continually in mhz until the safe temp of 70C is reached..

the P4 runs much cooler than athlon, my P4 running at 1.6
operates at 32C

athlon only go poof not P4's

also, the P4 wails on teh Athlon in almost every heavy loaded application where the memory and CPU bus start to get saturated.. the P3 and athlon bus are limited at best at 1 GPS throughput, due to chipset and ram and CPU memory
bus design..
the P4 has a 3.2 GPS dual channel path memory design
who FP unit operates a 3ghz and then interfaces at 400
mhz to dual channel 3.2 GPS RAMBUS for a perfect match where there is NO BOTTLENECK.

using SSE 2 the P4 can issue both 32 and 64 bit FP and integer operations which the Athlon cannot

you must use an application that is both P4 compiles to take advantage of its 20 stage ground up new design,
and
most important hits the system hard enough to cause and show the 1 GPS bottleneck of the design of P3 and Athlon
memory bus and pipelines.

when that happens , like under 3d multi renders, Mpeg 4 encoding, MP3 encoding, HDTV DVD playing , etc, code compiling, etc, the P4 clearly pulls out in the lead...

my test invilving comparing rambus to DDR or SDRAM using
SANDRA, MEMTACH and STREAM show the P4 to be the fastest CPU platform the world, as does SPEC..

the memory throughput using the P4 400 mhz bus and RAMBUS
in MEMTACH is 4 times faster than Athlon,
in Sandra, it is 5-6 times faster,
in Stream it is faster than anythign SGI, SUN, or AMD has
by far..
it even outperformed a Cray supercomputer with a single CPU

but running games and office apps or demo benchmarks does not show this... you have to hammer the system,
adn granted not much software does this yet, but it will..

I have seen some future apps at MS and INTEL etc,
that allow you to sit down at your computer it turns on
and scans you face using face recognition, then logs you on,
and talks to you and you talk to it using voice \face recognition....

there is also Language translation in real time so you can
talk to a Chinese person across the world with HDTV video
full screen, with perfect sound, that translates what you say in English in to CHinese and vs versa

This takes HUGE amounts of CPU power and it works on P4
at 1.7 GHZ

this is the kinds of things that Athlon will NEVER do
in the short term.. and DDR cannot either..

CAMERON

CAMERON

CYBERIMAGE
<A HREF="http://www.4CyberImage.com " target="_new">http://www.4CyberImage.com </A>
Ultra High Performance Computers-
April 17, 2001 9:44:19 AM

Hmm, wait a minute.. code compiling and mp3 encoding are running better on athlon, cause P4's huge branch misprediction penalties and lack of FPU power (SSE can't fully make up that)

Why do you only use synthetic memory benchmarks to declare that P4 is so good ? Is that what "ultra high performance computers" are suppose to run all the time ? BTW, IMHO there's no such thing as "ultra high performance" possible with x86 platform anyway...
April 17, 2001 9:52:36 AM

"code compiling and mp3 encoding are running better on athlon"

Only on code that was not compiled with a P4-aware compiler. (And no, this has nothign to sdo wiht SSE/SSE2, but with optimizing for the P4 pipeline so as to reduce these mispredictions.

-Raystonn

-- The center of your digital world --
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2001 9:56:54 AM

NO totally wrong do not know where you read that P4 has bad brance prediction
it is better than athlon or P3 at 95%
this is due to advanced cache, and pipeline design
and the fact it can order and reorder 32 bit, and 64 bit
INT and FP instructions
and or substiture 32 bit and 64 bit SSE2 instructions as well in any order...

this is INTEL's Execution Trace Cache and the Dynamic Execution Engine.

the 20 stage pipeline can retrieve instructions in any order directly from the trace cache without decoding
so no latency

also there are 126 instructions in the ALU compared to only 42 for the P3..and they operate at 3 GHZ or 2x the CPU clock
whereas athlon or P3 do NOT

most importantly the branch lookup table for P4 is 4KB bytes or 8 times larger than athlon or p3 so pipeline mispredicts are much rarer as it can look them up properly in the prediction table

I do not use synthetic benchmarks only,
mp3 encoding, mpeg 4 encoding, kernal compiling,
and 3d apps like max and lightwave and quake
and not synthetic but real world apps last I checked

hope that helps
CAMERON

CYBERIMAGE
<A HREF="http://www.4CyberImage.com " target="_new">http://www.4CyberImage.com </A>
April 17, 2001 10:02:48 AM

You may be right, but how would athlon-optimized compiler do against it, whitch would make use of athlon's triple-pipelined integer and FP-units ?
April 17, 2001 10:22:01 AM

P4's branch predictor is better than P3's (~90% hit rate) and maybe little better than the one found form athlons (~92%), but it really isn't as good as Intel claims (95%, nothing beats the K6-x :) ).And due to longer pipelines, branch misprediction penaly is way bigger than on athlons/P3's. AFAIK athlon's have 2KB branch lookup table, just P3 has 512 bytes (K6-x had 4 or 8KB table too if I remember right :) . And there's nothing inside P4 operating at 3Ghz, I belive. There may be more pipelined ALU's operating theoretically effectively running as 3Ghz, just Intel likes to spread FUD about big numbers (same with that "400Mhz bus" and "nutbrust").

Most of the stuff I have read from ace's hardware...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2001 10:30:16 AM

yes well,
ACE is confused

I have the original INTEL CPU engineering books for P4 ,
and try Sharkey's page..

the ALU's in the P4 do operate at 3 ghz clock, having a 2x multiplier on the rising and falling signal..

you are really incorrect in your branch misprediction assessment on P4..
INTEL took this into account and added the features I told you about including a 4KB branch lookup table 2 times larger
than Athlons,
and as I explained the different units like ALU,
decoders, ans SSE2 units can issue 32 bit and 64 bit
instructions in any order, so if the pipeline has an error,
it can reorder and use another requested unit without dumping the whole pipe in something needs to be fixed or
dumped, it can hold that funtion and comcurrently execture any number of INT,FP or SSE 2 instructions..

CAMERON

CYBERIMAGE
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2001 10:36:56 AM

as far as the 3ghz ALU units,
there are 2 of them and here is a quote from teh engineering manual from INTEL...

The Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor in the 423-pin Package socket with Intel Netburst™ micro-architecture, it still maintains the tradition of compatibility with IA-32 software. The Intel NetBurst micro-architecture features include hyper pipelined technology, a rapid execution engine, a 400 MHz system bus, and an execution trace cache. The hyper pipelined technology doubles the pipeline depth in the Pentium 4 processor, allowing the processor to reach much higher core frequencies. The rapid execution engine allows the two integer ALUs in the processor to run at twice the core frequency, which allows integer instructions to execute in 1/2 clock tick or up to 3 Ghz. The 400 MHz system bus is a quad-pumped bus running off a 100 MHz system clock making 3.2 GB/sec data transfer rates possible. The execution trace cache is a level 1 cache that stores approximately 12k decoded micro-operations, which removes the decoder from the main execution path, thereby increasing performance.
"

CYBERIMAGE
April 17, 2001 10:46:03 AM

Well, I have visited sharky's page sometimes but all I found from there was bold Intel's propaganda. If P4's integer performance is so good, then why slower clockspeed athlon's/P3's still kicking it's ass in integer/branch prediction-dependent apps (oh yes, NOT fully P4 optimised but not optimised for athlon either)?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2001 2:34:05 PM

Go Cyberimage!! Good to see another real player in this forum. I've noticed tbirdinside hasn't said much lately. Or many of the other AMD lovers. What happened boys? Have you all ran away to your AMD cubbyhouse to come up with some other crappy way to defraud the forum? Aaahhh wish spudmuffin was here to see this!!! To borrow a phrase if I may.....Dance monkey boys dance, dance!!!

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2001 2:35:28 PM

Go Cyberimage!! Good to see another real player in this forum. I've noticed tbirdinside hasn't said much lately. Or many of the other AMD lovers. What happened boys? Have you all ran away to your AMD cubbyhouse to come up with some other crappy way to defraud the forum? Aaahhh wish spudmuffin was here to see this!!! To borrow a phrase if I may.....Dance monkey boys dance, dance!!!

April 17, 2001 3:00:34 PM

Very good!
Good copy/paste intel [-peep-] propaganda!
Now he must learn how to make a new site to try to sell all the intel [-peep-].

OOPS, I'm sorry...
Forget all the propaganda and put some prof appz to run and see how slow is the P4 FPU.
Look at Maya Test Center. Look some Lightwave benchmarks and see some athlons beating dualies.
Run MAX 4 and see over 30% faster renderings!
There is no propaganda capable to make a poor FPU work!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2001 3:25:53 PM

>Go Cyberimage!! Good to see another real player in this forum.

Ok, let's be fair here. Cyberimage has succesfully cut-n-pasted some intel specs & reviews. In reading your other posts "real player" status means doing more then running MS office, playing solitare, etc.

I haven't seen any evidence that that is the case. I'm not arguing with his specs, but the truth is in application benchmarks. And so far those don't seem to parallel the enormous bandwidth advantage that the PIV enjoys. I'm referring specifically to the Spec marks. Yes, they are better then AMD marks, but not in proportion to the bandwidth advantage.

Basically, I don't think the PIV CPU can keep up with the bandwidth yet. When it does, it'll smoke. But not yet.

In practice, there is.
!