New system problems

G

Hello everyone. I am searching wise advise about a new system I put together just last week. The problem is that my new machine tends to freeze on me (which should not be happening) specially since it is a new machine. Here are the specs:
CPU: AMD ATHLON 1.2 GHZ FSB 266 Retail
M/B: ASUS A6A266
Ram: DDR 256 MB RAM PC 2100
H.D.D:Quantum AS 40 GB. UDMA 100
V.c: ASUS V7700 Deluxe W/32 Mb
I am runing windows ME. Asus also provide a nice program that tells me that the temperature of my CPU is 46 C..I wonder if it is because is too hot? I am usin a TT Voclcano II. Now my system has frozen at least 15 times(more probably) in the past 3 days. Why? and is the temperature too high? ( I am not overclocking)? any ideas will be wellcome.

G

That's not too hot. Can you give the rest of your system's specs? Like power supply, other cards, BIOS revision, what driver versions you have tried? And why did you go with ME?

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Asus A6A? Never heard of that board before..

Anywho.. are there any common applications/games running when it locks up? Is it a hardware lockup? (try turning the numlock on and off)

Latest drivers for everything?

46C isn't too hot for your machine, but are you normally in warm surroundings? If so, you should look into more cooling.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good choice on buying AMD, now your finding out why we bash AMD for being a POS CPU.

GL on getting stable.

Many factors involved. start with breaking your machine down to bare minimum to run. double check your ram specs, make sure they match and maybe try diff ones.

Reload the OS. and put 4 in 1 drivers first.

Drop from 4x agp to 2x, if that helps download AGP fix from AMD. there is a know issue reguarding AGP on AMD (Incompatability or just POS? you figure it out)

If all the doesnt help, throw it in the trash and get a Intel based machine.

GG on buying AMD!

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
my Tbird is fine. I haven't experienced any issues as of yet.

Besides, odds are the problems lies with the chipset, not the CPU itself.

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
:)

Well, at the very least he did offer up a couple of good suggestions, though the snide remarks about buying an AMD cpu could have been avoided.

Also, this guy is using a DDR board.. boy have those things got problems.. I've got a KT133A board, much more mature.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Winme just doesn't like some of the drivers of the motherboards and vid cards. Those 4n1 drivers are probably still (more or less) 'beta' and they'll some along shortly. Your bios revisions will help out a little too, i'll wager. This was the case with my a7v133. Download the auto-update from asus, and start checking the bios mods on a weekly basis. You might sniff around their ftp, and find the beta revisions too (that's what I do).

I'd try out win98 or win2k, and see if it solves some of the problems. Sounds like you've got some decent quality stuff in your system. I don't know how 'generic' DDR ram gets, but you might take a look at that. You might see if you have thermal paste on your northbridge heatsink.

Athlon systems are a bit quirky when they are brand new like yours. Too bad AMD/Asus don't make the 'standards'.......

G

The problem with AGP and Athlons was with a specific chipset, one of the earlier AMD ones (don't know the name, 750 maybe?)...

G

Thanks for your interest
My Systems is made out of:
CPU: AMD TB 1.2 MGZ FSB 266 MHZ Retail version
MB: ASUS A7A266
Ram: 256 MB DDR RAM Micron PC2100
Power Supply: Enermax 350 W. Dual fan
Case: Lian Li PC 60
Video Card: ASUS AGP V7700 32 MB Deluxe Retail Version
H.D.D.: Quantum AS 40 Gb. UDMA 100
H.D.D: Western digital (slave mode) 450 MB Old one
Sound card: Sound Blaster Live Value
NIC: Linksys LNE 100TX Fast Ethernet Card
Floppy: Panasonic
DVD ROM: Pioneer 16 X
CDRW: Yamaha 2100 SX SCSI Internal Drive
SCSI Adapter: Adaptec 2903B
I Think that is about all I have Software I am running Windows Me Why? I don't know I am thinkig refomating the machine and stick with 98 SE..or 2000...
I hope this help you help me
Thanks again to everyone that have shown interest.

G

It's a shame you didn't come here before you bought your machine. Have a look at all the posts concerning AMD problems. Your just another dissapointed AMD customer. Do you know anyone who is retarded that you can sell it to?

"Cock-a-doodle-do" is what I say to my girl when I wake her UP in the morning!!