Minimum cpu/gpu to handle wow @ medium settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaOmegaX

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
I don't know much about laptops and I figure this will get answered faster than my help me buy a laptop thread.

I found a laptop with the new e-240/6310 combo but don't know if it will actually work out too well. I'm not against integrated at all even though I know dedicated cards work better but this will only be for late night wow on the couch and standard laptop use. Internet/Office.

So what is the minimum cpu & gpu really? I figure it's more gpu dependant anyways so let me know warriors!

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010

Actually WoW is much more CPU than GPU dependant, although that doesn't mean you don't need a graphics card. Here are a few bits of information :

- With a dedicated GPU, you will need at least roughly a 2.0GHz dual core CPU. Use this list to find out what graphics card can play WoW at medium-high (WoW is located at the far right of the games list). Be conservative and ensure the GPU you go for will deliver satisfactory performance (so don't pick one that is borderline medium). Remember - you want lime for very fluid gameplay, green for good, yellow for occasional stutter, red is just bad and not enjoyable, so aim for green on high settings.

- With an integrated CPU, you really don't want anything below the Intel GMA4500MHD, and since it is integrated, it does not have its own fast memory or processor, so you will need a very powerful CPU to even compete with the performance of a dedicated GPU. If you go with the GMA4500MHD, you will need at least 2GB of RAM (about 500MB will be used by the graphics chipset as dynamic "dedicated" memory), and you will need at least a 2.6-2.8GHz dual core processor, because that processor will need to supply enough power for the GPU in addition to what it already has to do. However be warned that even the most powerful CPU in existence cannot perform graphical operations as well as a true GPU that is designed for that type of task, and so in some instances you *will* lag (especially with shadows and many particles on the screen).

And for standard laptop use, an integrated graphics card will perform just as well as a dedicated one - be sure to take a "HD"-dubbed one if you go for an integrated one since those get hardware acceleration for 1080p & blu-ray decoding (like if you want to watch a movie on an HD monitor in your couch or something). Would be lame not to take that which is only a handful of $$ more.

Overall I would recommend you get this kind of laptop which is only about USD $1500 and will actually play WoW in all medium settings without a hitch and should handle High decently :
Link
Opt for the first CPU upgrade to guarantee fluid experience, or just leave it out and save a couple hundred bucks.

If your budget is tighter, here is an option for USD $900, which decently plays WoW in medium settings :
Link

These two laptops also come with a nice 1920x1080 LED screen which is pretty nice tbh. That's about all I can suggest with the information you provided.

so let me know warriors
priests ftw

UniqueName

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
ATI's lowest mobile gaming GPU is a 5650 so that's typically the bar to shoot for. You may find some 550v laptops which are rebranded 4650's and are ok. Any Core i3 cpu should be ok.

You definitely don't want an E240. Single core + integrated graphics = slow

Status
Not open for further replies.