Could someone delete the news section of roguebasin please?

Please check my comment on the roguebasin news section posted some time ago:

http://roguebasin.t-o-m-e.net/index.php/Talk:News

So far no one has disagreed and I think it's time to remove it. I would have
removed it long ago but I realized that the main page is locked and I don't
have adim rights so could someone else please do it?

copx

copx wrote:
> Please check my comment on the roguebasin news section posted some time ago:
>
> http://roguebasin.t-o-m-e.net/index.php/Talk:News
>
> So far no one has disagreed and I think it's time to remove it. I would have
> removed it long ago but I realized that the main page is locked and I don't
> have adim rights so could someone else please do it?

I agree it should be removed.

If it is kept, it should just have instructions on how to get to
rec.games.roguelike.announce with the idea that developers that want to
announce new versions should do it there.

You hit the nail on the head with the problem of requiring developers
to "push" new release information out. It is an unfair workload to
give to the developers who have enough work just updating their website
without trying to track every secondary site out there.

This is why I didn't think a purely user-submitted
http://thelist.roguelikedevelopment.org/ would have been very good. It
is W-O-R-K to maintain these things.
--
Jeff Lait

copx wrote:
> Please check my comment on the roguebasin news section posted some time ago:
>
> http://roguebasin.t-o-m-e.net/index.php/Talk:News
>
> So far no one has disagreed and I think it's time to remove it. I would have
> removed it long ago but I realized that the main page is locked and I don't
> have adim rights so could someone else please do it?

Request acknowledged. If no objections arise within the next 24 hours
I'll remove it.
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

Shedletsky wrote:
> > So far no one has disagreed and I think it's time to remove it. I would
> have
> > removed it long ago but I realized that the main page is locked and I
> don't
> > have adim rights so could someone else please do it?
>
> I disagree. In my opinion, more information is almost always better than
> less. The news section is fulfilling its mission: to raise awareness of new
> RLs.

It's mission shouldn't be to raise awareness of new RLs. It should be
to provide news to the Roguelike community. The RogueBasin isn't, I
believe, supposed to be a Roguelike Development site. It's supposed to
be a roguelike site.

The RogueBasin::News section is failing its purpose. Reading it one
would think nothing much has happened in the last two months in the
roguelike world. Of course Witherwyn will get hits when it is listed
as the only change in the roguelike community for two months! There
have been at least 12 other releases in that time frame - including
high profile roguelikes like T.o.M.E.

As copx says, if no one is taking responsibility of *trying* to get a
good coverage of the roguelike scene, the site is doing a disservice to
the scene.

The right way for Wytherwin to be advertised in RogueBasin is to be
added to the appropraite Categories so it shows up on the proper lists.
I get a lot of hits coming in from the POWDER and You Only Live Once
RogueBasin entries long since they fell of the Recent Changes list, so
I know people are traversing the depths of the RogueBasin site and not
just checking the What's New. Those who really want to know what's new
probably check the Recent Changes anyways.

> In my specific case, putting a link there to Witherwyn brought me a good
> number of hits for a project that's not mature enough to warrent a post on
> roguelikes.announce.

If it is not worth a post on roguelike.announce, why is it worth a post
on the roguebasin?

I'm not saying it isn't worthy of being on RogueBasin's news section.
I'm saying if you think it should be there, it should also be valid for
rec.games.roguelike.announce.

> Plus, who uses newsgroups anymore? (ok, in the RL dev community probably
> most people) Roguebasin is more friendly for someone who is casually
> interested in RLs, but who might not go through the trouble of using usenet.

Well, I do peek in roguelike.announce when I do updates to
http://thelist.roguelikedevelopment.org/. Unlike the news section of
the Roguebasin, someone has the misfortune of having ownership for
updating that list.

In any case, we could easily just have the ::News section have a link
rec.games.roguelike.announce and thus save the duplication of effort.
This has the advantage of only asking roguelike authors to concentrate
their announcements into *one* forum.
--
Jeff Lait

> So far no one has disagreed and I think it's time to remove it. I would
have
> removed it long ago but I realized that the main page is locked and I
don't
> have adim rights so could someone else please do it?

I disagree. In my opinion, more information is almost always better than
less. The news section is fulfilling its mission: to raise awareness of new
RLs.

In my specific case, putting a link there to Witherwyn brought me a good
number of hits for a project that's not mature enough to warrent a post on
roguelikes.announce.

Plus, who uses newsgroups anymore? (ok, in the RL dev community probably
most people) Roguebasin is more friendly for someone who is casually
interested in RLs, but who might not go through the trouble of using usenet.

Just my 2c.

--
Blog:
Shedletsky's Bits: A Random Walk Through Manifold Space

Shedletsky wrote:
> > The RogueBasin isn't, I
> > believe, supposed to be a Roguelike Development site. It's supposed to
> > be a roguelike site.
>
> I don't believe you can separate the two.

I meant *only* a roguelike development site. Of course I want it used
as a roguelike development site as well.

> For me, RogueBasin's most valuable
> content is the development articles posted there.

That's great. However, as you said, you can't separate the two. The
news page, if it exists, should not be just to promote new roguelikes.
It should be to provide news on the RL scene. The News page is not
reporting news on the Roguelike Scene. It should thus be removed.
--
Jeff Lait

> The RogueBasin isn't, I
> believe, supposed to be a Roguelike Development site. It's supposed to
> be a roguelike site.

I don't believe you can separate the two. For me, RogueBasin's most valuable
content is the development articles posted there. Though I obviously have no
numbers to back this up, I would wagner that the majority of RogueBasin's
traffic is from developers. If RogueBasin is not for RL dev info, we need a
wiki that is - because that's really what I'm most interested in. The rest
of RogueBasin just ego stuff - lists of half-finished RLs with dev bios
don't offer all that much value (besides fueling my dev ego).

RogueBasin should be like WikiPedia - the one comprehensive source for all
RL info on the net.

My 2c.

--

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> copx wrote:
> > Please check my comment on the roguebasin news section posted some time ago:
> >
> > http://roguebasin.t-o-m-e.net/index.php/Talk:News
> >
> > So far no one has disagreed and I think it's time to remove it. I would have
> > removed it long ago but I realized that the main page is locked and I don't
> > have adim rights so could someone else please do it?
>
> Request acknowledged. If no objections arise within the next 24 hours
> I'll remove it.

Shouldn't that be if "no solutions are found"?
--
Jeff Lait

> That's great. However, as you said, you can't separate the two. The
> news page, if it exists, should not be just to promote new roguelikes.
> It should be to provide news on the RL scene. The News page is not
> reporting news on the Roguelike Scene. It should thus be removed.

The RL Scene? You mean, like RL players going to raves and doing lines of
coke? I don't believe such a thing exists. Besides the publishing of new
RLs, the only other possible RL-related new item I can think of are
announcements of new RL-dev contests - and those are not frequent. So what's
the big deal?

Really, if you don't like the News section, just don't use it. Other people
will use it as long as it is there.

--
Blog:
Shedletsky's Bits: A Random Walk Through Manifold Space
http://www.stanford.edu/~jjshed/blog

Edward

Shedletsky <mylastname@stanford.edu> wrote:
> Really, if you don't like the News section, just don't use it. Other people
> will use it as long as it is there.

This might be a good point to ask...
is there currently a unified roguelike news site? After the original
Roguelike New went down, it sort of fragmented and I lost track of them
all.
It would be a really good resource to have. What are the current rl news
posting places, apart from r.g.r.announce?

A google search turned up a large number of "starting points" for
finding roguelike news.

If I (or someone) were to compile a list of recent roguelike news items,
and post it at roguebasin, and then announce the roguebasin news page to
all the pages from which news items were compiled...

do you think this might prompt people to use it as the central posting
forum?

I do agree that adding another fragment to the roguelike news posting
system does not help, so RogueBasin News would be better off as either
*the* central resource for roguelike news (the ideal situation) or not
existing at all.

If there is to be a central news resource, RogueBasin would be a good
place for it. I suppose I can't really take on the full time job of
maintaining such a thing, though.

--
jude hungerford.

Shedletsky wrote:
> The rest
> of RogueBasin just ego stuff - lists of half-finished RLs with dev bios
> don't offer all that much value (besides fueling my dev ego).

That reminds me.. Can anyone write articles? I'd like to put some
more information about my project and myself..:)

> That reminds me.. Can anyone write articles? I'd like to put some
> more information about my project and myself..:)

YES! Anyone can write articles! And it's easy! Wikis Rock!