[Crawl] YACD Deep Elf Conjurer

So, I'm playing a deep elf conjurer. I worship Vehumet, so no guaranteed
Selective Amnesia. Vehumet just gave me the Book of Annihilations. So
I'm wondering which way to go. Deep elves have an aptitude of 100 in
Earth Magic, and I don't have very many XP invested in Earth Magic yet,
but still Lehudib's Crystal Spear sounds yummy. Much more yummy than,
for instance, Orb of Electrocution. On the other hand, Fire Storm also
sounds sufficiently havoc-inducing, and as you can see below, I have
plenty of skill in Fire. Which way should I go?

More commentary on my spells just below the "spells" section.

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

Milky the Conjurer
// I've started naming my characters after whatever song is on in Winamp
when I create the character. This song had a title with "Milk" somewhere
in it, so I named this guy Milky.

Race : Deep Elf Res.Fire : + . . See Invis. : .
Class : Conjurer Res.Cold : . . . Warding : +
// Warding is nice to have. This is another god who gives you an extra
neck to stick an amulet on.
Worship : Vehumet Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : .
Level : 12 Res.Poison: + Res.Corr. : .
Exp : 21737 Res.Elec. : . Gourmand : +
// With this and the ring of sustenance, I have never had any problems
with food, the way I've had with my other fledgling spellcasters.

Next Level : 40599
Exp Needed : 18862 Sust.Abil.: . Rnd.Telep. : .
Spls.Left : 9 Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: .
Gold : 1081 Res.Slow : . Levitation : .
Clarity : . Ctrl.Flight: .
HP : 54
MP : 33
Str : 9 Weapon : orc blowgun
// I suppose this is beginning to get outmoded, but the only staff I've
found is a staff of Death, and the only Necromancy spell I have access
to is Animate Skeleton, so...

Int : 24 Armour : +2 orc leather armour (R-fire)
Dex : 16 (17) Shield :
// recently ill from eating a "clean" (rotted goblin) chunk that turned
out to make me ill anyway.

AC : 8 Helmet :
Evasion : 12 Cloak : +0 elf cloak
Shield : 0 Gloves : +2 pair of gloves (dex)
Boots :
Play time : 03:10:17 Amulet : amulet of the gourmand
Turns : 24059 Ring : cursed ring of Preservation
Ring : ring of sustenance

You are in the Mines.
You worship Vehumet.
Vehumet is exalted by your worship.
You are full.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - an uncursed orcish dagger
b - an uncursed orcish blowgun (weapon)
h - an uncursed runed dagger of venom
Missiles
d - 25 poisoned needles
Armour
p - an orcish leather armour
r - an orcish leather armour
t - an orcish leather armour
u - a robe
x - a robe
z - an orcish leather armour
B - a +2 orcish leather armour of fire resistance (worn)
F - an orcish leather armour
K - a +0 elven cloak (worn)
L - a glowing robe
S - a +2 pair of gloves of dexterity (worn)
Magical devices
g - a wand of digging (4)
m - a wand of fire
J - a wand of teleportation (4)
M - a wand of slowing
Comestibles
C - 2 meat rations
Scrolls
n - 2 scrolls of teleportation
q - a scroll of remove curse
s - 2 scrolls of identify
v - 2 scrolls of enchant weapon II
w - a scroll of enchant weapon I
H - 3 scrolls of blinking
// haven't been to the stash in quite some time.

Jewellery
f - the cursed ring of Preservation (right hand)
This ring provides protection from the effects of poisons and venom.
It affects your strength (+3).
It lets you levitate.
It lets you blink.
It lets you sense your surroundings.
It has a curse placed upon it.
// Mummy death curse. Also, this ring would have been KING for any of my
MDFi axe-swinging evokers.

k - a ring of sustenance (left hand)
G - an amulet of the gourmand (around neck)
P - a ring of sustain abilities
T - a ring of teleportation
Potions
e - 3 potions of speed
// Priceless for running away.

i - 2 potions of heal wounds
j - 3 potions of might
o - 2 potions of healing
Books
c - a book of Conjurations
l - a book of Minor Magic
y - a book of Power
D - a book of Wizardry
I - a book of Annihilations
Magical staves
A - a staff of death
Miscellaneous
E - a crystal ball of seeing
// just makes me stupid. I suppose I don't have enough Evocations. Ring
is safer anyway, I think.

You have 2 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 1 Short Blades
+ Level 2 Staves
+ Level 1 Darts
+ Level 4 Dodging
+ Level 5 Stealth

+ Level 12 Spellcasting
+ Level 14 Conjurations
+ Level 1 Enchantments
// just practiced this slightly.

+ Level 4 Translocations
+ Level 11 Fire Magic

// So no Earth magic skill yet, despite heavy use recently of Bolt of
Magma. I suppose the 100 aptitude is making itself known here.

+ Level 3 Evocations

You have 9 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success Level
a - Magic Dart Conjuration Perfect 1
b - Throw Flame Fire/Conjuration Excellent 2
// So up to now this has been my mainstay "kill stuff" spell, though
what with Orc Knights and an Orc Sorcerer with fire resistance, I have
been leaning more and more on Bolt of Magma - and at any rate, Bolt of
Magma doesn't do enough damage to resistant creatures, and Throw Flame
doesn't do enough damage to any creatures except baseline orcs to be
very *good* at the moment.

c - Conjure Flame Fire/Conjuration Excellent 3
// This is most excellent for keeping some enemies at bay while I use
the less-than-super-efficient Throw Flame to take them down.

d - Blink Translocation Great 2
// trained this a bit, and was really glad of that when I was cornered
by a small pack of Yaks. This was before I had Fireball or Bolt of Magma
at any significant chance of success, so Yaks was a major problem. Hard
times.

e - Mephitic Cloud Poison/Air/Conjuration Excellent 3
// I am so glad I found this.

f - Fireball Fire/Conjuration Great 6
// Have been using this lately as "high damage against high evasion",
but it's so expensive for the damage it does...

g - Bolt of Magma Fire/Earth/Conjuration Great 5
// Very nice against easy-to-hit non-resistant critters. If they're
resistant and easy to hit, I make do with this, but would like something
that did a bit more damage for the mana...

h - Detect Creatures Divination Very Good 2
// Using this intermittently, if I find a book of Surveyances, I'll be
using it to actively train Divinations.

i - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Very Good 2

// Handy against centaurs, less useful against cyclops... cyclops crush
deep elves with their thrown rocks. Ouch.

// So, should I learn:
- Stone Arrow, to have a semi-low-level damage spell and train Earth
(for Lehudib's Crystal Spear later)?
- Iron Bolt, to have a mid-level damage spell and train Earth (for
Lehudib's Crystal Spear later)?
- Iskenderun's Mystic Blast, to have a mid-level damage spell and
avoid putting XP into Earth so I can get better at Fire Storm when I
again have levels to learn it?
- Two of the above, because one of them isn't very good damage and the
other has a hard time hitting stuff (Not that I'd know which was which)?

Mutations & Other Weirdness
You are surrounded by a mild repulsion field (ev + 1).
You are weak (Str -1).
You are clumsy (Dex -1).

// Quaff-IDing a potion of Mutation. Not the worst set I've seen, but I
have no potions of Cure Mutation, though I have seen one in a shop. No
use going and buying it yet, though.

Elethiomel wrote:
> So, I'm playing a deep elf conjurer. I worship Vehumet, so no guaranteed
> Selective Amnesia.

I'm sorry, but you've probably misunderstood the purpose of
the newsgroup. rec.games.roguelike.development is about the
development of roguelike games, not about character development
*in* roguelike games.

If you'd like to playtest something new, I'm sure that half-a-
dozen folks here have games they'd like somebody to try out;
Dungeon Bash, DoomRL, and several others can always use more
players/testers, especially if you are willing to write reviews
about what worked and what didn't.

Bear

Ray Dillinger wrote:
> Elethiomel wrote:
>
>> So, I'm playing a deep elf conjurer. I worship Vehumet, so no
>> guaranteed Selective Amnesia.
>

> I'm sorry, but you've probably misunderstood the purpose of
> the newsgroup. rec.games.roguelike.development is about the
> development of roguelike games, not about character development
> *in* roguelike games.

I'm completely aware of this. I accidentally posted it to the wrong
newsgroup, but as soon as I realised my mistake, I cancelled the post.
It was not more than 10 seconds or so, but it seems the post had already
migrated beyond my local news server. I was hoping this hadn't happened,
so I didn't have to waste anyone's time. I'm very sorry.

> If you'd like to playtest something new, I'm sure that half-a-
> dozen folks here have games they'd like somebody to try out;
> Dungeon Bash, DoomRL, and several others can always use more
> players/testers, especially if you are willing to write reviews
> about what worked and what didn't.

I play a large number of roguelikes, and am one of the beta testers of
Legerdemain, for instance. I provide feedback to authors where I feel it
is appropriate.

TRENDING THREADS