Cpu/motherboard help`

G

Help. I am attempting to build an amd system with a duron processor. I would like to upgrade to an athlon or thunderbird processor. Is there a motherboard that supports the duron and athlon/tbird processors? If so, which ones the best? bus speed and overclocking issues can be pluses. case suggestions are welcome.

Thanx
Mike

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
Duron/Tbird use socket a, any motherboard that a duron runs on will run a tbird.

You still have a choice to make, what kind of memory do you want to use SDRAM or DDR?

Then choose your chipset, not motherboard yet!

After you choose your chipset then you can choose your motherboard.

Now you can choose the rest of your system...what is your budget?

Are you sure that you are ready to go to AMD? They can be not builder friendly! They are wonderful chips but you do have to be carefull when you build them...a mistake cost you your cpu so now there is not a price/performace issue any more...If you are sure that you can put some paste on the chip, place the heatsink on with out crushing the cpu and remember to plug in the fan...and you are willing to download new drivers...then go amd you will love it...

if you are not ready to do these things go intel

I personally love my amd system

Just words to chew on

!!Warning!! Some benchmarks are not VALID, depends on what side you are on!

lisabob2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Duron 800 on a microstar k7tpro2-a motherboard and it is great.
Easy to overclock, just color the L-1 bridges with a pencil, and overclock in bios.
I got up to 1100, but it is stable at 1000.
Very high quality mb.
I built a Duron system with a Asus board, another great mb.
Abit's are suppose to be good too.
You can checkout socketa.com and look at their reviews.
I got a Fong-Kai fk-603 case and put in a 431 watt enermax power supply, it is nice.
directron.com is a good place to buy cases & power supplies.
Hope this helps,
Bob