Anyone else tried Fate yet?

Last response: in Video Games
September 5, 2005 7:29:59 PM

I hadn't heard of it until I saw it mentioned in Knights of the Dinner
Table's computer game review column the other day. Anyway it's fun for
a casual gamer like me. If you haven't seen it, it's a very
streamlined Diablo clone, with some Nethack elements thrown in (you
have a dog or cat sidekick and you can polymorph them with fish you
catch in lakes). It's all about randomized dungeons,
randomized fetch quests, and randomized equipment to upgrade with. Fun
stuff. www.playfate.com

Alan

More about : fate

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 12:11:37 PM

R. Alan Monroe wrote:
> I hadn't heard of it until I saw it mentioned in Knights of the Dinner
> Table's computer game review column the other day. Anyway it's fun for
> a casual gamer like me. If you haven't seen it, it's a very
> streamlined Diablo clone, with some Nethack elements thrown in (you
> have a dog or cat sidekick and you can polymorph them with fish you
> catch in lakes). It's all about randomized dungeons,
> randomized fetch quests, and randomized equipment to upgrade with. Fun
> stuff. www.playfate.com

It looks like World of Warcraft in many ways. WoW does however not have
random dungeons (although this is not necessary due to the HUGE game
world).

> Alan

/Björn
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 1:21:18 PM

Björn Bergström wrote:
> R. Alan Monroe wrote:
>
>> I hadn't heard of it until I saw it mentioned in Knights of the Dinner
>> Table's computer game review column the other day. Anyway it's fun for
>> a casual gamer like me. If you haven't seen it, it's a very
>> streamlined Diablo clone, with some Nethack elements thrown in (you
>> have a dog or cat sidekick and you can polymorph them with fish you
>> catch in lakes). It's all about randomized dungeons, randomized fetch
>> quests, and randomized equipment to upgrade with. Fun stuff.
>> www.playfate.com
>>

> It looks like World of Warcraft in many ways. WoW does however not have
> random dungeons (although this is not necessary due to the HUGE game
> world).

Not neccessary? Tell me that after you have run Upper Blackrock Spire
for the 43rd time in the hopes of having your Shadowcraft item drop
*and* be the one to win the roll for it.

MMORPGs count on the player doing things over and over again once he's
reached a certain level. Making the locations the player visits again
and again static has several consequences:
- The locations are easier to balance.
- Every high-level player worth his salt knows the route that is
currently considered most efficient by heart.
- Raids to these places become rather boring, because they are repetitive.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 11:49:48 AM

Elethiomel wrote:
> Björn Bergström wrote:
>
>> R. Alan Monroe wrote:
>>
>>> I hadn't heard of it until I saw it mentioned in Knights of the
>>> Dinner Table's computer game review column the other day. Anyway it's
>>> fun for a casual gamer like me. If you haven't seen it, it's a very
>>> streamlined Diablo clone, with some Nethack elements thrown in (you
>>> have a dog or cat sidekick and you can polymorph them with fish you
>>> catch in lakes). It's all about randomized dungeons, randomized fetch
>>> quests, and randomized equipment to upgrade with. Fun stuff.
>>> www.playfate.com
>>>

>> It looks like World of Warcraft in many ways. WoW does however not
>> have random dungeons (although this is not necessary due to the HUGE
>> game world).
>

> Not neccessary? Tell me that after you have run Upper Blackrock Spire
> for the 43rd time in the hopes of having your Shadowcraft item drop
> *and* be the one to win the roll for it.
>
> MMORPGs count on the player doing things over and over again once he's
> reached a certain level. Making the locations the player visits again
> and again static has several consequences:
> - The locations are easier to balance.
> - Every high-level player worth his salt knows the route that is
> currently considered most efficient by heart.
> - Raids to these places become rather boring, because they are repetitive.

Luckily I haven't reached there yet (I'm mainly playing during
lunchbreaks) then. I'm happily exploring the world with my Gnome Mage
(currently deep within the forest of Stranglethorn Vale). It seems like
repetitive play at a location/instance only seems to happen at high levels.

/Björn
!