Problem installing USB printers on Dell 4500

So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
Stylus
USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks
14 answers Last reply
More about problem installing printers dell 4500

    Paul Filion wrote:
    > So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
    > Stylus
    > USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks

    Is your user account fully administrative?

    > Paul Filion wrote:
    >> So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
    >> Stylus
    >> USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any suggestions.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > Is your user account fully administrative?

    Yes it is.

    Some printer driver installs want you to connect up the printer first, then run
    the install. Others want you to install first, then hook up the printer. Many
    printer software installs for USB printers fail to work properly if their rigid
    pain-in-the-backside rules are not followed exactly.

    Check USB cable connections at both ends.

    Possibly try another USB cable?

    Long USB cables sometimes do not work worth a darn. I had to replace a 50' USB
    cable which my client wanted, connecting the printer instead to another computer
    with a much shorter cable. Then his USB printer began working like a real
    printer.

    That's about all I can suggest without any further symptoms which you need to
    provide, e.g. error messages, etc... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:08:16 -0700, "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net> wrote:

    >So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
    >Stylus
    >USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.
    >
    >Anyone have any suggestions.
    >
    >Thanks

    Hi Ben,

    To verify the printer and USB cable, I successfully installed the printer on
    our Dell Laptop
    but have not been successful on the Dell Dimension 4550.

    I had the same problem a while back trying to install a HP LaserJet and gave
    up and
    installed it on another PC.

    Seems I cannot install a USB printer on this Dimension for some reason. I
    have installed
    a USB scanner, memory card reader, digital camera with no issues.

    Wondering if printers require more power from the USB port than other USB
    devices.

    When I plugin the printer Windows XP recognizes new hardware are USB printer
    but
    not that it is a EPSON Stylus R200 like the laptop did.

    > Some printer driver installs want you to connect up the printer first,
    > then run
    > the install. Others want you to install first, then hook up the printer.
    > Many
    > printer software installs for USB printers fail to work properly if their
    > rigid
    > pain-in-the-backside rules are not followed exactly.
    >
    > Check USB cable connections at both ends.
    >
    > Possibly try another USB cable?
    >
    > Long USB cables sometimes do not work worth a darn. I had to replace a
    > 50' USB
    > cable which my client wanted, connecting the printer instead to another
    > computer
    > with a much shorter cable. Then his USB printer began working like a real
    > printer.
    >
    > That's about all I can suggest without any further symptoms which you need
    > provide, e.g. error messages, etc... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:08:16 -0700, "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
    >>Stylus
    >>USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.
    >>
    >>Anyone have any suggestions.
    >>
    >>Thanks

    Interface and Connectivity

    a.. USB 1.1 for PC and Macintosh connection
    b.. Front and rear USB ports for computer connection only
    (not simultaneous)
    "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
    > Stylus
    > USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks

    More information on the exact symptoms would help. Is it a 4500 or 4550?
    You mention both in your two posts.

    My Dimension 4550 has:

    Epson 1270 inkjet
    Samsung ML1710 Laser
    Epson 7600 inkjet

    All attached via USB. The Epson 7600 is a 24 inch wide rollpaper photo
    printer, so it's a pretty big printer and it works fine. The same machine
    has a Hauppauge WinTV USB PVR2, a USB Wireless keyboard and mouse, a Seiko
    label printer and three USB2 hard drives attached.

    Tom

    "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
    > Stylus
    > USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks

    I made a typo on the original post, it is a Dimension 4550.
    On this system I have a USB HP Scanjet 3500C, USB mouse, usb memory card
    reader, and have connected a digital camera all with no issue.

    The original printer I have was a parallel printer and then wanted to add a
    HP Laserjet but
    had no success and ended up installing on another system and then accessed
    it through
    our home network. At this time I thought it might be a HP driver issue.

    Now I purchased the EPSON Stylus PHOTO R200 mainly for the feature of CD/DVD
    printing capability. Since this printer will not install on this Dimension
    4550 I suspect
    something wrong on this Dell.

    Regarding the HP LaserJet I had successfully installed it on our Dell Laptop
    and another Dimension
    4550. The only real difference I could find between the two Dimension
    systems is the one were
    the USB printer installs successfully has bios version A02 while the other
    Dimension as a newer
    bios, A08. I tried to go back to an older bios but it would not let me.

    I tried installing the EPSON on the laptop and it installed with no problems
    so I know the printer
    is ok and the USB cable is ok.

    It appears that the problem is that the printer is not being identified as
    what it's full description is,
    only as a USB printer and then when it looks for an entry in the inf file it
    can't find it.

    Thanks,

    Paul

    Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
    Computer Name DELL266 (Dell In
    Den)
    User Name Paul
    Logon Domain DELL266

    Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A,
    2657 MHz (5 x 531)
    Motherboard Name Dell Computer
    Corporation Dimension 4550
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale
    i845PE
    System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR
    SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Phoenix (09/23/03)
    Communication Port Communications Port
    (COM1)
    Communication Port ECP Printer Port
    (LPT1)

    Display:
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 MX
    420 (64 MB)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce4 MX
    420
    Monitor ViewSonic A90
    (NP93101116)

    Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter IC Ensemble M Audio
    Audiophile

    Storage:
    Disk Drive WDC WD16 00JB-00DUA3
    SCSI Disk Device
    Disk Drive WDC WD300BB-75DEA0
    Disk Drive WDC WD800BB-53BSA0
    Optical Drive _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A
    (DVD:4x/2.4x/12x, CD:16x/10x/40x DVD+RW)
    Optical Drive AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI
    CdRom Device (Virtual DVD-ROM)
    Optical Drive AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI
    CdRom Device (Virtual DVD-ROM)
    Optical Drive NERO IMAGEDRIVE2
    SCSI CdRom Device (Virtual CD-ROM)

    Partitions:
    C: (NTFS) 28568 MB
    E: (NTFS) 76316 MB
    G: (NTFS) 152625 MB

    Input:
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key
    or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse Logitech-compatible
    Mouse PS/2

    Network:
    Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100 VE
    Network Connection

    Peripherals:
    Printer \\Linda\hp LaserJet
    1012
    Printer Auto Broderbund PDF
    Creator on KAYLA-COMPUTER
    Printer Auto HP DeskJet 880C
    Series Printer on KAYLA-COMPUTER
    Printer Auto HP DeskJet 882C
    on DELLDT
    Printer Auto hp LaserJet
    1012 on DELLDT
    Printer Broderbund PDF
    Creator
    Printer DocuCom PDF Driver
    Printer FinePrint 2000
    Printer hp deskjet 930c
    series
    USB Device HP Scanjet 3500c Series

    > More information on the exact symptoms would help. Is it a 4500 or 4550?
    > You mention both in your two posts.
    >
    > My Dimension 4550 has:
    >
    > Epson 1270 inkjet
    > Samsung ML1710 Laser
    > Epson 7600 inkjet
    >
    > All attached via USB. The Epson 7600 is a 24 inch wide rollpaper photo
    > printer, so it's a pretty big printer and it works fine. The same machine
    > has a Hauppauge WinTV USB PVR2, a USB Wireless keyboard and mouse, a Seiko
    > label printer and three USB2 hard drives attached.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net> wrote in message
    >> So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
    >> Stylus
    >> USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any suggestions.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    "It appears that the problem is that the printer is not being identified as
    what it's full description is, only as a USB printer and then when it looks for
    an entry in the inf file it can't find it."

    This is usually symptomatic of a faulty installation CD, i.e. one which does not
    properly take into account the software or maybe hardware conditions found on
    your computer.

    Faulty printer and scanner software installs are an absolute plague in this
    industry... Ben Myers

    <SNIP>

    Hi Ben.

    That is exactly what I believe is happening also but I'm not sure about the
    faulty installation CD as I can install the printer on another system.

    I think it has something to do with the USB drivers. I tried removing the
    USB drivers and then rebooted but windows would then not find drivers
    for the USB host hubs.

    > "It appears that the problem is that the printer is not being identified
    > as
    > what it's full description is, only as a USB printer and then when it
    > looks for
    > an entry in the inf file it can't find it."
    >
    > This is usually symptomatic of a faulty installation CD, i.e. one which
    > does not
    > properly take into account the software or maybe hardware conditions found
    > on
    > your computer.
    >
    > Faulty printer and scanner software installs are an absolute plague in
    > this
    > industry... Ben Myers
    >
    > <SNIP>

    Paul,

    Faulty only in the sense that the software installer encountered some condition
    on your Dell 4500 and was unable to handle the condition successfully.

    I had a similar situation installing iTunes on a notebook recently. Had to edit
    the registry in a special way to get the install to work... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:57:55 -0700, "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net> wrote:

    >Hi Ben.
    >
    >That is exactly what I believe is happening also but I'm not sure about the
    >faulty installation CD as I can install the printer on another system.
    >
    >I think it has something to do with the USB drivers. I tried removing the
    >USB drivers and then rebooted but windows would then not find drivers
    >for the USB host hubs.

    >> "It appears that the problem is that the printer is not being identified
    >> as
    >> what it's full description is, only as a USB printer and then when it
    >> looks for
    >> an entry in the inf file it can't find it."
    >>
    >> This is usually symptomatic of a faulty installation CD, i.e. one which
    >> does not
    >> properly take into account the software or maybe hardware conditions found
    >> on
    >> your computer.
    >>
    >> Faulty printer and scanner software installs are an absolute plague in
    >> this
    >> industry... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> <SNIP>

    Hi Ben,

    Dell has suggested that I perform a windows XP repair which I' about to try.

    I don't have a clue as to what to look for in the registry.

    > Paul,
    >
    > Faulty only in the sense that the software installer encountered some
    > condition
    > on your Dell 4500 and was unable to handle the condition successfully.
    >
    > I had a similar situation installing iTunes on a notebook recently. Had
    > to edit
    > the registry in a special way to get the install to work... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:57:55 -0700, "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Ben.
    >>
    >>That is exactly what I believe is happening also but I'm not sure about
    >>the
    >>faulty installation CD as I can install the printer on another system.
    >>
    >>I think it has something to do with the USB drivers. I tried removing the
    >>USB drivers and then rebooted but windows would then not find drivers
    >>for the USB host hubs.
    >>

    >><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >>> "It appears that the problem is that the printer is not being identified
    >>> as
    >>> what it's full description is, only as a USB printer and then when it
    >>> looks for
    >>> an entry in the inf file it can't find it."
    >>>
    >>> This is usually symptomatic of a faulty installation CD, i.e. one which
    >>> does not
    >>> properly take into account the software or maybe hardware conditions
    >>> found
    >>> on
    >>> your computer.
    >>>
    >>> Faulty printer and scanner software installs are an absolute plague in
    >>> this
    >>> industry... Ben Myers
    >>>
    >>> <SNIP>

    Paul,

    If you're used to doing only garden variety tasks with a computer, editing the
    registry is not for you. I had to edit the registry to install iTunes, but
    found a "how to" which was very intricate and proved successful.

    If the XP repair does not work, try the printer vendor's tech support and
    customer forums, which are newsgroups more or less like this one.

    I've encountered enough messes with the Windows registry while servicing
    computers, that I realize more than ever how damned fragile the registry is.
    And I'd give long odds on a bet that something in the registry is what the USB
    printer does not like. But finding the offending registry entry is worse than
    finding a needle in a haystack or one grain of sand on the beach... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:49:41 -0700, "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net> wrote:

    >Hi Ben,
    >
    >Dell has suggested that I perform a windows XP repair which I' about to try.
    >
    >I don't have a clue as to what to look for in the registry.

    >> Paul,
    >>
    >> Faulty only in the sense that the software installer encountered some
    >> condition
    >> on your Dell 4500 and was unable to handle the condition successfully.
    >>
    >> I had a similar situation installing iTunes on a notebook recently. Had
    >> to edit
    >> the registry in a special way to get the install to work... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:57:55 -0700, "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi Ben.
    >>>
    >>>That is exactly what I believe is happening also but I'm not sure about
    >>>the
    >>>faulty installation CD as I can install the printer on another system.
    >>>
    >>>I think it has something to do with the USB drivers. I tried removing the
    >>>USB drivers and then rebooted but windows would then not find drivers
    >>>for the USB host hubs.
    >>>

    >>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message

    Hi Ben,

    Unfortunately the XP repair was not successful and it put my system in a
    infinite
    loop between the bios screen and the windows startup screen which gives you
    the option of Safe Mode, etc.

    After another call to Dell they said they suspect XP was corrupted and that
    had to perform a complete install of XP.

    I completed the full install of XP and now the printer installs with no
    issues but of
    course now I have to re-install everything and lost all my settings.

    It will keep me busy for a little while.

    Thanks again,
    Paul

    > Paul,
    >
    > If you're used to doing only garden variety tasks with a computer, editing
    > the
    > registry is not for you. I had to edit the registry to install iTunes,
    > but
    > found a "how to" which was very intricate and proved successful.
    >
    > If the XP repair does not work, try the printer vendor's tech support and
    > customer forums, which are newsgroups more or less like this one.
    >
    > I've encountered enough messes with the Windows registry while servicing
    > computers, that I realize more than ever how damned fragile the registry
    > is.
    > And I'd give long odds on a bet that something in the registry is what the
    > USB
    > printer does not like. But finding the offending registry entry is worse
    > than
    > finding a needle in a haystack or one grain of sand on the beach... Ben
    > Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:49:41 -0700, "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Ben,
    >>
    >>Dell has suggested that I perform a windows XP repair which I' about to
    >>try.
    >>
    >>I don't have a clue as to what to look for in the registry.
    >>
    >><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >>> Paul,
    >>>
    >>> Faulty only in the sense that the software installer encountered some
    >>> condition
    >>> on your Dell 4500 and was unable to handle the condition successfully.
    >>>
    >>> I had a similar situation installing iTunes on a notebook recently. Had
    >>> to edit
    >>> the registry in a special way to get the install to work... Ben Myers

    Sorry about what you had to do, but glad it worked. I suspected XP all along
    since my similar machine works fine.

    Tom
    "Paul Filion" <paul.filion@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Ben,
    >
    > Unfortunately the XP repair was not successful and it put my system in a
    > infinite
    > loop between the bios screen and the windows startup screen which gives
    > you
    > the option of Safe Mode, etc.
    >
    > After another call to Dell they said they suspect XP was corrupted and
    > that I
    > had to perform a complete install of XP.
    >
    > I completed the full install of XP and now the printer installs with no
    > issues but of
    > course now I have to re-install everything and lost all my settings.
    >
    > It will keep me busy for a little while.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Paul

Dell Printers USB Computers