Problem installing USB printers on Dell 4500

Tags:
  • Dell
  • Printers
  • USB
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
August 20, 2004 11:08:16 PM

So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
Stylus
USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

More about : problem installing usb printers dell 4500

Anonymous
August 21, 2004 2:02:51 AM

Paul Filion wrote:
> So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
> Stylus
> USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions.
>
> Thanks

Is your user account fully administrative?

August 21, 2004 3:03:51 AM

> Paul Filion wrote:
>> So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
>> Stylus
>> USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Is your user account fully administrative?

Yes it is.
August 21, 2004 6:52:50 AM

Some printer driver installs want you to connect up the printer first, then run
the install. Others want you to install first, then hook up the printer. Many
printer software installs for USB printers fail to work properly if their rigid
pain-in-the-backside rules are not followed exactly.

Check USB cable connections at both ends.

Possibly try another USB cable?

Long USB cables sometimes do not work worth a darn. I had to replace a 50' USB
cable which my client wanted, connecting the printer instead to another computer
with a much shorter cable. Then his USB printer began working like a real
printer.

That's about all I can suggest without any further symptoms which you need to
provide, e.g. error messages, etc... Ben Myers

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:08:16 -0700, "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net> wrote:

>So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
>Stylus
>USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.
>
>Anyone have any suggestions.
>
>Thanks

Anonymous
August 21, 2004 6:52:51 AM

Hi Ben,

To verify the printer and USB cable, I successfully installed the printer on
our Dell Laptop
but have not been successful on the Dell Dimension 4550.

I had the same problem a while back trying to install a HP LaserJet and gave
up and
installed it on another PC.

Seems I cannot install a USB printer on this Dimension for some reason. I
have installed
a USB scanner, memory card reader, digital camera with no issues.

Wondering if printers require more power from the USB port than other USB
devices.

When I plugin the printer Windows XP recognizes new hardware are USB printer
but
not that it is a EPSON Stylus R200 like the laptop did.

> Some printer driver installs want you to connect up the printer first,
> then run
> the install. Others want you to install first, then hook up the printer.
> Many
> printer software installs for USB printers fail to work properly if their
> rigid
> pain-in-the-backside rules are not followed exactly.
>
> Check USB cable connections at both ends.
>
> Possibly try another USB cable?
>
> Long USB cables sometimes do not work worth a darn. I had to replace a
> 50' USB
> cable which my client wanted, connecting the printer instead to another
> computer
> with a much shorter cable. Then his USB printer began working like a real
> printer.
>
> That's about all I can suggest without any further symptoms which you need
> provide, e.g. error messages, etc... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:08:16 -0700, "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net>
> wrote:
>
>>So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
>>Stylus
>>USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.
>>
>>Anyone have any suggestions.
>>
>>Thanks

August 21, 2004 10:28:00 AM

Interface and Connectivity

a.. USB 1.1 for PC and Macintosh connection
b.. Front and rear USB ports for computer connection only
(not simultaneous)
"Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net> wrote in message
news:D 8yVc.81412$Oi.53383@fed1read04...
> So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
> Stylus
> USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
August 21, 2004 1:37:32 PM

More information on the exact symptoms would help. Is it a 4500 or 4550?
You mention both in your two posts.

My Dimension 4550 has:

Epson 1270 inkjet
Samsung ML1710 Laser
Epson 7600 inkjet

All attached via USB. The Epson 7600 is a 24 inch wide rollpaper photo
printer, so it's a pretty big printer and it works fine. The same machine
has a Hauppauge WinTV USB PVR2, a USB Wireless keyboard and mouse, a Seiko
label printer and three USB2 hard drives attached.

Tom

"Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net> wrote in message
news:D 8yVc.81412$Oi.53383@fed1read04...
> So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
> Stylus
> USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
August 21, 2004 3:22:31 PM

I made a typo on the original post, it is a Dimension 4550.
On this system I have a USB HP Scanjet 3500C, USB mouse, usb memory card
reader, and have connected a digital camera all with no issue.

The original printer I have was a parallel printer and then wanted to add a
HP Laserjet but
had no success and ended up installing on another system and then accessed
it through
our home network. At this time I thought it might be a HP driver issue.

Now I purchased the EPSON Stylus PHOTO R200 mainly for the feature of CD/DVD
printing capability. Since this printer will not install on this Dimension
4550 I suspect
something wrong on this Dell.

Regarding the HP LaserJet I had successfully installed it on our Dell Laptop
and another Dimension
4550. The only real difference I could find between the two Dimension
systems is the one were
the USB printer installs successfully has bios version A02 while the other
Dimension as a newer
bios, A08. I tried to go back to an older bios but it would not let me.

I tried installing the EPSON on the laptop and it installed with no problems
so I know the printer
is ok and the USB cable is ok.

It appears that the problem is that the printer is not being identified as
what it's full description is,
only as a USB printer and then when it looks for an entry in the inf file it
can't find it.

Thanks,

Paul

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
Computer Name DELL266 (Dell In
Den)
User Name Paul
Logon Domain DELL266

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A,
2657 MHz (5 x 531)
Motherboard Name Dell Computer
Corporation Dimension 4550
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale
i845PE
System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR
SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (09/23/03)
Communication Port Communications Port
(COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port
(LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 MX
420 (64 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce4 MX
420
Monitor ViewSonic A90
(NP93101116)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter IC Ensemble M Audio
Audiophile

Storage:
Disk Drive WDC WD16 00JB-00DUA3
SCSI Disk Device
Disk Drive WDC WD300BB-75DEA0
Disk Drive WDC WD800BB-53BSA0
Optical Drive _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A
(DVD:4x/2.4x/12x, CD:16x/10x/40x DVD+RW)
Optical Drive AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI
CdRom Device (Virtual DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI
CdRom Device (Virtual DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive NERO IMAGEDRIVE2
SCSI CdRom Device (Virtual CD-ROM)

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 28568 MB
E: (NTFS) 76316 MB
G: (NTFS) 152625 MB

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key
or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Logitech-compatible
Mouse PS/2

Network:
Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100 VE
Network Connection

Peripherals:
Printer \\Linda\hp LaserJet
1012
Printer Auto Broderbund PDF
Creator on KAYLA-COMPUTER
Printer Auto HP DeskJet 880C
Series Printer on KAYLA-COMPUTER
Printer Auto HP DeskJet 882C
on DELLDT
Printer Auto hp LaserJet
1012 on DELLDT
Printer Broderbund PDF
Creator
Printer DocuCom PDF Driver
Printer FinePrint 2000
Printer hp deskjet 930c
series
USB Device HP Scanjet 3500c Series

> More information on the exact symptoms would help. Is it a 4500 or 4550?
> You mention both in your two posts.
>
> My Dimension 4550 has:
>
> Epson 1270 inkjet
> Samsung ML1710 Laser
> Epson 7600 inkjet
>
> All attached via USB. The Epson 7600 is a 24 inch wide rollpaper photo
> printer, so it's a pretty big printer and it works fine. The same machine
> has a Hauppauge WinTV USB PVR2, a USB Wireless keyboard and mouse, a Seiko
> label printer and three USB2 hard drives attached.
>
> Tom
>
> "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net> wrote in message
> news:D 8yVc.81412$Oi.53383@fed1read04...
>> So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
>> Stylus
>> USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks

Anonymous
August 21, 2004 11:30:10 PM

"It appears that the problem is that the printer is not being identified as
what it's full description is, only as a USB printer and then when it looks for
an entry in the inf file it can't find it."

This is usually symptomatic of a faulty installation CD, i.e. one which does not
properly take into account the software or maybe hardware conditions found on
your computer.

Faulty printer and scanner software installs are an absolute plague in this
industry... Ben Myers

<SNIP>
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 11:30:11 PM

Hi Ben.

That is exactly what I believe is happening also but I'm not sure about the
faulty installation CD as I can install the printer on another system.

I think it has something to do with the USB drivers. I tried removing the
USB drivers and then rebooted but windows would then not find drivers
for the USB host hubs.

> "It appears that the problem is that the printer is not being identified
> as
> what it's full description is, only as a USB printer and then when it
> looks for
> an entry in the inf file it can't find it."
>
> This is usually symptomatic of a faulty installation CD, i.e. one which
> does not
> properly take into account the software or maybe hardware conditions found
> on
> your computer.
>
> Faulty printer and scanner software installs are an absolute plague in
> this
> industry... Ben Myers
>
> <SNIP>
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 1:19:35 AM

Paul,

Faulty only in the sense that the software installer encountered some condition
on your Dell 4500 and was unable to handle the condition successfully.

I had a similar situation installing iTunes on a notebook recently. Had to edit
the registry in a special way to get the install to work... Ben Myers

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:57:55 -0700, "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net> wrote:

>Hi Ben.
>
>That is exactly what I believe is happening also but I'm not sure about the
>faulty installation CD as I can install the printer on another system.
>
>I think it has something to do with the USB drivers. I tried removing the
>USB drivers and then rebooted but windows would then not find drivers
>for the USB host hubs.

>> "It appears that the problem is that the printer is not being identified
>> as
>> what it's full description is, only as a USB printer and then when it
>> looks for
>> an entry in the inf file it can't find it."
>>
>> This is usually symptomatic of a faulty installation CD, i.e. one which
>> does not
>> properly take into account the software or maybe hardware conditions found
>> on
>> your computer.
>>
>> Faulty printer and scanner software installs are an absolute plague in
>> this
>> industry... Ben Myers
>>
>> <SNIP>

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 1:19:36 AM

Hi Ben,

Dell has suggested that I perform a windows XP repair which I' about to try.

I don't have a clue as to what to look for in the registry.

> Paul,
>
> Faulty only in the sense that the software installer encountered some
> condition
> on your Dell 4500 and was unable to handle the condition successfully.
>
> I had a similar situation installing iTunes on a notebook recently. Had
> to edit
> the registry in a special way to get the install to work... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:57:55 -0700, "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi Ben.
>>
>>That is exactly what I believe is happening also but I'm not sure about
>>the
>>faulty installation CD as I can install the printer on another system.
>>
>>I think it has something to do with the USB drivers. I tried removing the
>>USB drivers and then rebooted but windows would then not find drivers
>>for the USB host hubs.
>>

>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>>> "It appears that the problem is that the printer is not being identified
>>> as
>>> what it's full description is, only as a USB printer and then when it
>>> looks for
>>> an entry in the inf file it can't find it."
>>>
>>> This is usually symptomatic of a faulty installation CD, i.e. one which
>>> does not
>>> properly take into account the software or maybe hardware conditions
>>> found
>>> on
>>> your computer.
>>>
>>> Faulty printer and scanner software installs are an absolute plague in
>>> this
>>> industry... Ben Myers
>>>
>>> <SNIP>

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 5:41:38 AM

Paul,

If you're used to doing only garden variety tasks with a computer, editing the
registry is not for you. I had to edit the registry to install iTunes, but
found a "how to" which was very intricate and proved successful.

If the XP repair does not work, try the printer vendor's tech support and
customer forums, which are newsgroups more or less like this one.

I've encountered enough messes with the Windows registry while servicing
computers, that I realize more than ever how damned fragile the registry is.
And I'd give long odds on a bet that something in the registry is what the USB
printer does not like. But finding the offending registry entry is worse than
finding a needle in a haystack or one grain of sand on the beach... Ben Myers

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:49:41 -0700, "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net> wrote:

>Hi Ben,
>
>Dell has suggested that I perform a windows XP repair which I' about to try.
>
>I don't have a clue as to what to look for in the registry.

>> Paul,
>>
>> Faulty only in the sense that the software installer encountered some
>> condition
>> on your Dell 4500 and was unable to handle the condition successfully.
>>
>> I had a similar situation installing iTunes on a notebook recently. Had
>> to edit
>> the registry in a special way to get the install to work... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:57:55 -0700, "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Ben.
>>>
>>>That is exactly what I believe is happening also but I'm not sure about
>>>the
>>>faulty installation CD as I can install the printer on another system.
>>>
>>>I think it has something to do with the USB drivers. I tried removing the
>>>USB drivers and then rebooted but windows would then not find drivers
>>>for the USB host hubs.
>>>

>>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 5:41:39 AM

Hi Ben,

Unfortunately the XP repair was not successful and it put my system in a
infinite
loop between the bios screen and the windows startup screen which gives you
the option of Safe Mode, etc.

After another call to Dell they said they suspect XP was corrupted and that
had to perform a complete install of XP.

I completed the full install of XP and now the printer installs with no
issues but of
course now I have to re-install everything and lost all my settings.

It will keep me busy for a little while.

Thanks again,
Paul

> Paul,
>
> If you're used to doing only garden variety tasks with a computer, editing
> the
> registry is not for you. I had to edit the registry to install iTunes,
> but
> found a "how to" which was very intricate and proved successful.
>
> If the XP repair does not work, try the printer vendor's tech support and
> customer forums, which are newsgroups more or less like this one.
>
> I've encountered enough messes with the Windows registry while servicing
> computers, that I realize more than ever how damned fragile the registry
> is.
> And I'd give long odds on a bet that something in the registry is what the
> USB
> printer does not like. But finding the offending registry entry is worse
> than
> finding a needle in a haystack or one grain of sand on the beach... Ben
> Myers
>
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:49:41 -0700, "Paul Filion" <filion@netzero.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi Ben,
>>
>>Dell has suggested that I perform a windows XP repair which I' about to
>>try.
>>
>>I don't have a clue as to what to look for in the registry.
>>
>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>>> Paul,
>>>
>>> Faulty only in the sense that the software installer encountered some
>>> condition
>>> on your Dell 4500 and was unable to handle the condition successfully.
>>>
>>> I had a similar situation installing iTunes on a notebook recently. Had
>>> to edit
>>> the registry in a special way to get the install to work... Ben Myers

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 10:51:23 AM

Sorry about what you had to do, but glad it worked. I suspected XP all along
since my similar machine works fine.

Tom

!