Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Internet explorer

Last response: in Windows 7
August 3, 2009 6:00:59 PM

I am working with Windows XP. I installed Internet Explorer 8 and I believe I got a 'dirty program'. I'd like to go back to IE 6. Please give me simple instructions since I am not a very knowledgeable computer person. Jane

More about : internet explorer

August 3, 2009 6:35:25 PM

control panel > add or remove programs
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 3, 2009 6:49:02 PM

IE8 is considered an "Update" rather than a 'Program'. So you will not be able to find it in the main Add/Remove menu. What you need to do is (on the left) select "View Installed Updates". In that listing, you should find IE8 and select 'Uninstall'.
Score
Related resources
August 3, 2009 7:29:00 PM

u dont need to go all the way back to ie6, ie7 was just peachy to me
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 3, 2009 7:40:28 PM

Dirty Program? I don't think I've ever heard that one before.

Best advice I can give you: Never, ever open IE again, don't even bother removing it. Install Firefox. ;) 
Score
August 3, 2009 7:45:15 PM

Well, if you got a fake ie8, which would in reality be a malware program, then you should at the very least try to uninstall it and also run a virus scanner and malware scanner to see if it left anything nasty on there. After that if it cleans it up right it's possible that your old version of ie won't function properly. You may want to download firefox or chrome first so you can install them latter.
Score
August 3, 2009 8:30:35 PM

Just download and save an install of IE 6
then control panel then add or remove programs remove IE8
and then restart
then install IE 6 from where you saved (most likely on the desktop)
but you may wanna go with firefox but i would install IE because some things dont work on firefox yet
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 4, 2009 6:50:32 AM

mickeypowelll said:
Just download and save an install of IE 6
then control panel then add or remove programs remove IE8
and then restart
then install IE 6 from where you saved (most likely on the desktop)
but you may wanna go with firefox but i would install IE because some things dont work on firefox yet

I have yet to find something that doesn't work on Firefox.
Score
August 4, 2009 2:17:05 PM

firefox is heavily gaining marketshare dude step out of the darkness and go into the light
Score
August 4, 2009 2:33:39 PM

Herr_Koos said:
I have yet to find something that doesn't work on Firefox.

many streaming programs still require IE to work...which I hate! I went to Firefox and I've only gone back on programs that don't support it yet.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 4, 2009 3:03:51 PM

belial2k said:
many streaming programs still require IE to work...which I hate! I went to Firefox and I've only gone back on programs that don't support it yet.

Hmm, you may be right on that one. I use the IE Tab plug-in for Firefox, so I never need to open IE even for the Windows update page (which doesn't work with Firefox, so there goes my earlier statement... :(  ). IE Tab has a list on IE-only pages, which you can add to as you choose. I hardly notice any more when it switches between the two since all pages open inside Firefox.
Score
!