Lines across my screen?

I have noticed horizontal lines across my Dell Trinitron screen the past
couple months, they seem to be getting more noticeable.. I loaded newer
drivers today for my Dell NVidia G Force 2 card but it didn't help..
Wondering if anyone else has seen this... The original Dell Video card died
after only a year and this replacement they sent me is around 2 years old,,
can it be this card is on it's way out too?? The horizontal lines are not
level, they are at around a 10 degree pitch upward from left to right and
are white in color so they really show up when looking at pictures...

"Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have noticed horizontal lines across my Dell Trinitron screen the past
> couple months, they seem to be getting more noticeable.. I loaded newer
> drivers today for my Dell NVidia G Force 2 card but it didn't help..
> Wondering if anyone else has seen this... The original Dell Video card
> died
> after only a year and this replacement they sent me is around 2 years
> old,,
> can it be this card is on it's way out too?? The horizontal lines are not
> level, they are at around a 10 degree pitch upward from left to right and
> are white in color so they really show up when looking at pictures...

How many lines? 2? with one of then 1/3 from the top and the other 2/3
from the top?

If so, this is inherent in all Trinitron monitors.

--

Rob

10 lines (19" Monitor)... Ventilation is good, clean case regulary and
install a aux fan 2 years ago..

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I have noticed horizontal lines across my Dell Trinitron screen the past
> > couple months, they seem to be getting more noticeable.. I loaded newer
> > drivers today for my Dell NVidia G Force 2 card but it didn't help..
> > Wondering if anyone else has seen this... The original Dell Video card
> > died
> > after only a year and this replacement they sent me is around 2 years
> > old,,
> > can it be this card is on it's way out too?? The horizontal lines are
not
> > level, they are at around a 10 degree pitch upward from left to right
and
> > are white in color so they really show up when looking at pictures...
> >

> How many lines? 2? with one of then 1/3 from the top and the other 2/3
> from the top?
>
> If so, this is inherent in all Trinitron monitors.
>
> --
>
> Rob

"Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<WvidnRoMGZjPyrrcRVn-gg@adelphia.com>...
> I have noticed horizontal lines across my Dell Trinitron screen the past
> couple months, they seem to be getting more noticeable.. I loaded newer
> drivers today for my Dell NVidia G Force 2 card but it didn't help..
> Wondering if anyone else has seen this... The original Dell Video card died
> after only a year and this replacement they sent me is around 2 years old,,
> can it be this card is on it's way out too?? The horizontal lines are not
> level, they are at around a 10 degree pitch upward from left to right and
> are white in color so they really show up when looking at pictures...

Are there just two lines about 1/3rd and 2/3rds down from the top of
the screen; or are you saying there are a lot of these lines? If the
former, these are the fine wires that hold the Sony equivalent of a
shadowmask in position and are common to all Trinitron monitors.
Usually however they show up as thin black lines....

The best ways to figure out the cause of the problem are to install another
graphics card or to run the monitor on another system. At this point, it is not
clear whether the monitor or the graphics card is failing. Track record of the
nVidia chips is that they have been known to either wear out gradually or just
plain fail due to excessive heat and inadequate ventilation... Ben Myers

| The best ways to figure out the cause of the problem are to install
another
| graphics card or to run the monitor on another system. At this point, it
is not
| clear whether the monitor or the graphics card is failing. Track record
of the
| nVidia chips is that they have been known to either wear out gradually or
just
| plain fail due to excessive heat and inadequate ventilation... Ben Myers

In addition to what Ben correctly stated consider outside interference from
things in proximity to the monitor. Unshielded speakers, things with motors
(fans etc...) fluorescent lights and the like...

I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Pinger wrote:

> 10 lines (19" Monitor)... Ventilation is good, clean case regulary and
> install a aux fan 2 years ago..

I've noticed the same lines on my 19" P991 (new 05/2000) the last few
months, only mine are red. If I go to a command prompt, I see about 12
parallel lines with the same left to right upward slant. They're spaced
about 1" apart. When I'm booting, they're closer to 2" apart. (I'm well
aware of the 2 parallel lines inherent with Trinitron monitors - this
ain't them). I have a GF4 MX420 video card (new 03/2003 - came with my
new 4550 tower).

I have an MSI GF4 Ti4200 video card, which I'll swap in when I feel like
opening the thing up & post back.

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Try another monitor, if the problem persists then its a problem with the
card if the problem follows the monitor then its that thats at fault
"Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have noticed horizontal lines across my Dell Trinitron screen the past
> couple months, they seem to be getting more noticeable.. I loaded newer
> drivers today for my Dell NVidia G Force 2 card but it didn't help..
> Wondering if anyone else has seen this... The original Dell Video card
> died
> after only a year and this replacement they sent me is around 2 years
> old,,
> can it be this card is on it's way out too?? The horizontal lines are not
> level, they are at around a 10 degree pitch upward from left to right and
> are white in color so they really show up when looking at pictures...

If you have the option to reset the "color return" in the menu
settings, it
will get rid of the lines. Worked for me and those lines were
driving
me nuts. I have a P1130 so don't know if will work on yours.

by the way, as an added bonus, my monitor has never looked better
:wink: