Hi,
A Yet Another Idea of Mine (this groups is about sharing ideas,
isn't it? :) is to make a roguelike consist of short unconnected
episodes (say 5 or 10) instead of one big plot. Or maybe one
big plot + those episodes. They could be like some of those early
quests in Adom, maybe one or two hours play.

This wouldn't be very RPG-like, because you would start always
with a new character, but I think it would be more pleasant for
players unfamiliar with roguelikes, because they wouldn't suffer
from the "die once" rule so much. Plus it would be less boring
because once done with one episode, the player would never touch
it again, unlike it is in Adom (and other RLs), where everyone
has done the puppy quest hundreds of times.

I think this is something worth trying in the case of a roguelike
going commercial (which I think I'm going to try sometime), but
that's a different story...

So what do you think about this?

Martin Read wrote:
> "Michal Brzozowski" <rusolis@poczta.fm> wrote:
> [episodic roguelike]
> >So what do you think about this?
>
> I see nothing fundamentally wrong with the idea. You know where the
> text editor and the build tools are; give it a try!

I'm half-way through writing a RL engine. I've just got all these
ideas bouncing around my head while I'm actually fighting with my
not-so-well designed OO code :).

"Michal Brzozowski" <rusolis@poczta.fm> wrote:
[episodic roguelike]
>So what do you think about this?

I see nothing fundamentally wrong with the idea. You know where the
text editor and the build tools are; give it a try!
\_\/_/ in the metal and blood in the scent and mascara on a backcloth of
\ / lashes and scars in a flood of your tears in sackcloth and ashes
\/ -- Sisters of Mercy, "Flood I"

Edward

Michal Brzozowski <rusolis@poczta.fm> wrote:
>> [episodic roguelike]
>> >So what do you think about this?

It's certainly an appealing concept. It might even have commercial
prospects, as you mention, since you could make two or three freeware
episodes and then charge a few dollars for each further episode.

> I'm half-way through writing a RL engine. I've just got all these
> ideas bouncing around my head while I'm actually fighting with my
> not-so-well designed OO code :).

It's a bit like that, isn't it?
I've got a nice plan for a tech demo which, unlike my previous tech demo
plans, would actually be a (short) playable game. Instead of building
that, though, I'm fiddling about with adding get/drop and other inventory
management details, and after that I'm moving on to the thrilling
subject of a proper messaging system.
Still, every boring simple feature added is a step closer to actual
content creation.

--
--jude hungerford.

> So what do you think about this?
Heretic! Burn him!

At 13 Sep 2005 04:05:42 -0700,
Michal Brzozowski wrote:

> Hi,
> A Yet Another Idea of Mine (this groups is about sharing ideas,
> isn't it? :) is to make a roguelike consist of short unconnected
> episodes (say 5 or 10) instead of one big plot. Or maybe one
> big plot + those episodes. They could be like some of those early
> quests in Adom, maybe one or two hours play.
>
> This wouldn't be very RPG-like, because you would start always
> with a new character, but I think it would be more pleasant for
> players unfamiliar with roguelikes, because they wouldn't suffer
> from the "die once" rule so much. Plus it would be less boring
> because once done with one episode, the player would never touch
> it again, unlike it is in Adom (and other RLs), where everyone
> has done the puppy quest hundreds of times.
>
> I think this is something worth trying in the case of a roguelike
> going commercial (which I think I'm going to try sometime), but
> that's a different story...
>
> So what do you think about this?

Well, I play like this in Crawl.
Create new chcaracter, explore 2-3 levels, die, repeat... :)

--
Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski @**@_
(Qq) 3 Sob?