GREEKIE and how should we continue

Hello All!

I see that the interest on GREEKIE has gone down lately... and I think
it is because just writing a design doc without actually implementing
anything may seem empty for most of you.

So I think we must begin implementing it already, and I am asking what
people is really up to the project so that we can start talking about
implementation.

According to the poll made on the beginning of the project, the
following would be the development parameters:

LANGUAGE: Java
SOURCE: Start from scratch (+ tools/libraries)
LICENSE: Open Source
DISPLAY: ASCII
PERMADEATH: Yes

Please, if you are interested on getting to develop the project, mail
me to java.koder@gmail.com, the idea is to setup a development scheme
to start on October.

Thanks,

--
Slash
[peltkore.net/~szdev]

ABCGi wrote:
> SZDev - Slash wrote:
> > Hello All!
> >
> > I see that the interest on GREEKIE has gone down lately... and I think
> > it is because just writing a design doc without actually implementing
> > anything may seem empty for most of you.
> >
> > So I think we must begin implementing it already, and I am asking what
> > people is really up to the project so that we can start talking about
> > implementation.
> >
> > According to the poll made on the beginning of the project, the
> > following would be the development parameters:
> >
> > LANGUAGE: Java
> > SOURCE: Start from scratch (+ tools/libraries)
> > LICENSE: Open Source
> > DISPLAY: ASCII
> > PERMADEATH: Yes
> >
> > Please, if you are interested on getting to develop the project, mail
> > me to java.koder@gmail.com, the idea is to setup a development scheme
> > to start on October.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> > Slash
> > [peltkore.net/~szdev]
>
> I've been real busy with work.

Me too

> I would start by implementing combat in
> a simple "arena" environment where the object is to get through a set
> number of opponents to win.

Nice idea, I agree here

> I like the idea of something web enabled
> that people can just try by going to a URL - which would lower the
> barrier to entry.

Nice idea, we have to design a SystemInterface layer that uses applets
I guess.

By the way, did you have a chance to try the new version of
CastlevaniaRL? lots of things have changed, and you have an special
mention on the credits ;)

--
Slash
[peltkore.net/~szdev]

SZDev - Slash wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I see that the interest on GREEKIE has gone down lately... and I think
> it is because just writing a design doc without actually implementing
> anything may seem empty for most of you.
>
> So I think we must begin implementing it already, and I am asking what
> people is really up to the project so that we can start talking about
> implementation.
>
> According to the poll made on the beginning of the project, the
> following would be the development parameters:
>
> LANGUAGE: Java
> SOURCE: Start from scratch (+ tools/libraries)
> LICENSE: Open Source
> DISPLAY: ASCII
> PERMADEATH: Yes
>
> Please, if you are interested on getting to develop the project, mail
> me to java.koder@gmail.com, the idea is to setup a development scheme
> to start on October.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Slash
> [peltkore.net/~szdev]

I've been real busy with work. I would start by implementing combat in
a simple "arena" environment where the object is to get through a set
number of opponents to win. I like the idea of something web enabled

"SZDev - Slash" <java.koder@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > LANGUAGE: Java
>> > SOURCE: Start from scratch (+ tools/libraries)
>> > LICENSE: Open Source
>> > DISPLAY: ASCII
>> > PERMADEATH: Yes

Would you consider Unicode? This opens up the door to lots of nice fonts and
glyphs.

>> I like the idea of something web enabled
>> that people can just try by going to a URL - which would lower the
>> barrier to entry.

Maybe Java Web Start (JWS) (the technology that Legerdemain employs) would
suit your needs here? Not as low a barrier to entry as an applet, but it is
very simple to implement.

Cheers,
Nathan

At Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:28:01 -0400,
Nathan Jerpe wrote:

> "SZDev - Slash" <java.koder@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Would you consider Unicode? This opens up the door to lots of nice fonts and
> glyphs.
>

>>> I like the idea of something web enabled
>>> that people can just try by going to a URL - which would lower the
>>> barrier to entry.
>>

> Maybe Java Web Start (JWS) (the technology that Legerdemain employs) would
> suit your needs here? Not as low a barrier to entry as an applet, but it is
> very simple to implement.

Doesn't it ban all Linux users from the start?

--
Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski @**@_
(@a) 3 Be?

"Radomir 'The Sheep' Dopieralski" <thesheep@ sheep.prv.pl> wrote in message
> At Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:28:01 -0400,

>> Maybe Java Web Start (JWS) (the technology that Legerdemain employs)
>> would
>> suit your needs here? Not as low a barrier to entry as an applet, but it
>> is
>> very simple to implement.
>
> Doesn't it ban all Linux users from the start?

You mean JWS? Not as far as I know. I've used it on Mozilla with
Mandrake....no problems. Reports of success from Mac users as well.

Or maybe I misunderstood your question?

Cheers,
Nathan

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:28:01 -0400, "Nathan Jerpe"
<nathanunderscorejerpe@msn.com> wrote:

>"SZDev - Slash" <java.koder@gmail.com> wrote in message

>Would you consider Unicode? This opens up the door to lots of nice fonts and
>glyphs.

Greek letters, even.

--
R. Dan Henry = danhenry@inreach.com

At Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:58:50 -0400,
Nathan Jerpe wrote:

> "Radomir 'The Sheep' Dopieralski" <thesheep@ sheep.prv.pl> wrote in message
>> At Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:28:01 -0400,
>
>>> Maybe Java Web Start (JWS) (the technology that Legerdemain employs)
>>> would
>>> suit your needs here? Not as low a barrier to entry as an applet, but it
>>> is
>>> very simple to implement.
>>
>> Doesn't it ban all Linux users from the start?
>
> You mean JWS? Not as far as I know. I've used it on Mozilla with
> Mandrake....no problems. Reports of success from Mac users as well.
>
> Or maybe I misunderstood your question?

Probably I misunderstood. You say it's not an applet?

--
Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski @**@_
(==) 3 Yawn?

> Probably I misunderstood. You say it's not an applet?

Nope. It's a deployment technology that allows you to launch a stand-alone
Java application from a web-page. The download, etc. is all automated. In
order for it to work though, your app generally needs to be signed, which is
probably the most painful step.

Seems to work on all the major browsers, though your web-server needs to
have the right MIME types set up.

There's some more info here:
http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/docs/developersguide.html

Nathan

"R. Dan Henry" <danhenry@inreach.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:28:01 -0400, "Nathan Jerpe"
> <nathanunderscorejerpe@msn.com> wrote:
>
>>Would you consider Unicode? This opens up the door to lots of nice fonts
>>and
>>glyphs.
>
> Greek letters, even.

Hmmm...

Perhaps there is someone out there, someone who may, in fact, be reading
this group right now, who could provide us with a list of such letters?

Nathan

SZDev - Slash wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
*SNIP*
>>I've been real busy with work.
>
> Me too
>
>>I would start by implementing combat in
>>a simple "arena" environment where the object is to get through a set
>>number of opponents to win.
>
> Nice idea, I agree here
>
>>I like the idea of something web enabled
>>that people can just try by going to a URL - which would lower the
>>barrier to entry.
>
> Nice idea, we have to design a SystemInterface layer that uses applets
> I guess.

I guess a java app is pretty easy to download and run too these
days with a minimum of fuss. And performance is better too.

> By the way, did you have a chance to try the new version of
> CastlevaniaRL? lots of things have changed, and you have an special
> mention on the credits ;)

Downloaded - didn't get to play yet - story of my life ATM.

--

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=greek+letters&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

http://www.mathacademy.com/pr/prime/articles/greek/index.asp

http://www.mathacademy.com/pr/prime/articles/greek/gr4.gif

--

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> SZDev - Slash wrote:
> > Hello All!
> >
> > I see that the interest on GREEKIE has gone down lately... and I think
> > it is because just writing a design doc without actually implementing
> > anything may seem empty for most of you.
> >
> > So I think we must begin implementing it already, and I am asking what
> > people is really up to the project so that we can start talking about
> > implementation.
> >
> > According to the poll made on the beginning of the project, the
> > following would be the development parameters:
>
> I don't have much hope on a positive reply, and this is a shameless ad,
> but did you consider using Carceri to create GREEKIE? Carceri is now in
> a enough high level of developemnt to grant that the project will
> continue, and that things can be implemented and played with already,
> yet in a early enough phase to ensure that if GREEKIE would be developed
> in it, GREEKIE-related features would be top priority...

Well, that's not my choice but the Devteam one; however one of the
point on the poll was whether we were or not going to use existing libs
and most people agreed to start from scratch; I think we must put that
on votation again between those of the devteam still interested on the
project.

--
SLash

SZDev - Slash wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>>I don't have much hope on a positive reply, and this is a shameless ad,
>>but did you consider using Carceri to create GREEKIE? Carceri is now in
>>a enough high level of developemnt to grant that the project will
>>continue, and that things can be implemented and played with already,
>>yet in a early enough phase to ensure that if GREEKIE would be developed
>>in it, GREEKIE-related features would be top priority...
>
> Well, that's not my choice but the Devteam one; however one of the
> point on the poll was whether we were or not going to use existing libs
> and most people agreed to start from scratch; I think we must put that
> on votation again between those of the devteam still interested on the
> project.

Agreed. Note the fact that when the poll was made, no one yet heard of
Carceri ;-). I like ABCGi's idea -- let someone do a "pilot" RL with
Carceri, then we'll see how it goes...

During the next weeks a first development version of Carceri may be
available for testing, along with a Rogue-complexity demonstrtation module.
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"11 years and no binary. And it's not vapourware" -- Igor Savin

SZDev - Slash wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>
>>SZDev - Slash wrote:
>>
>>>Hello All!
>>>
>>>I see that the interest on GREEKIE has gone down lately... and I think
>>>it is because just writing a design doc without actually implementing
>>>anything may seem empty for most of you.
>>>
>>>So I think we must begin implementing it already, and I am asking what
>>>people is really up to the project so that we can start talking about
>>>implementation.
>>>
>>>According to the poll made on the beginning of the project, the
>>>following would be the development parameters:
>>
>>I don't have much hope on a positive reply, and this is a shameless ad,
>>but did you consider using Carceri to create GREEKIE? Carceri is now in
>>a enough high level of developemnt to grant that the project will
>>continue, and that things can be implemented and played with already,
>>yet in a early enough phase to ensure that if GREEKIE would be developed
>>in it, GREEKIE-related features would be top priority...
>
> Well, that's not my choice but the Devteam one; however one of the
> point on the poll was whether we were or not going to use existing libs
> and most people agreed to start from scratch; I think we must put that
> on votation again between those of the devteam still interested on the
> project.

Should/Could certainly do a short pilot with it to see how it would go.