Sign in with
Your question

Durable 21.5"-23" monitor?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 23, 2012 6:19:47 PM

Hi!i need a new monitor that can survive hits and not crack.i have anger management problems :fou:  .im looking for a 23" or 21.5" monitor that is both durable and decent for gaming(5ms response time is fine).the money that i want to spend on this monitor is around 120-190$.any brands that have strong monitors?maybe HP or Dell monitors are strong enough to survive my anger.help?

More about : durable monitor

a b α HP
a c 196 C Monitor
October 26, 2012 7:18:53 AM

Inexpensive monitors are generally made of cheap material. Whether it can survive a "hit" depends on how your hit it. Are you smacking it on the side of the monitor or are you punching it directly in the center of the screen?

Monitors are generally not designed to take much abuse unless someone makes a "ruggerized" monitor for outdoor usage in harsh environments but something like that would be a niche market and be extremely expensive.

Monitors are not tested to see how much force it takes to completely disable it so if you can't get your anger under control then you will likely be dishing out a lot of money on monitors in the long run.
October 26, 2012 5:29:30 PM

jaguarskx said:
Inexpensive monitors are generally made of cheap material. Whether it can survive a "hit" depends on how your hit it. Are you smacking it on the side of the monitor or are you punching it directly in the center of the screen?

Monitors are generally not designed to take much abuse unless someone makes a "ruggerized" monitor for outdoor usage in harsh environments but something like that would be a niche market and be extremely expensive.

Monitors are not tested to see how much force it takes to completely disable it so if you can't get your anger under control then you will likely be dishing out a lot of money on monitors in the long run.

i hit my Samsung SyncMaster S23B350 in front and boom!!!broken!!it was a very weak punch more like a push.i think theses new generation of slim monitors are really not for me.

once i had an LG L1919S 5:4.that monitor survived extreme punishments for 2-3 years.maybe it was durable because it was 5:4 and that is good at absorbing hits.it costed me 175$ in 2008 so it wasn't a costly top tier monitor.

im thinking that insead of a 23" i go with a 19" 5:4 "business" monitor.i hope those monitors are strong and reliable.im thinking of buying either the LG E1910S(170$) or the Dell E1913S(142$) though both seems a little bit too pricey compared to monitors with 1080p.im fine with the advertised 5 ms response time(i hope they dont lie) but im worry about their Input Lag.
Related resources
October 30, 2012 12:55:56 AM

Find somewhere else to hit. The desk, perhaps. Desks are sturdy, and they feel good to hit. :>
a b α HP
a c 196 C Monitor
October 30, 2012 1:34:01 AM

Yeah well, the SyncMaster S23B350 has a pretty skinny little neck so I'm not surprised. Perhaps you should simply look at "stockier" built monitors.

I don't wanna get into your personal life, but have you considered anger management classes? It might be cheaper in the long run than buying new monitors every so often.
October 30, 2012 5:57:27 AM

I don't want to sound like a troll, but hang a punching bag near your PC. Most monitors are quite susceptible to localised impact (punch/headbutt). Even the industrial ones would lose lines of pixels easily. Another option is to put a thick piece of Perspex in front of the screen which should absorb impacts and be pretty cheap. Of course the best solution is to calm down and have time to think before reacting.
!