Sign in with
Your question

Could someone help me?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 20, 2001 8:32:41 PM

Hi all, i've just started a computer course [i have built systems in the past, but i need a piece of paper that say's i can] but i'm a little stuck. The question is,
Detail the voltages present on a large disk connector?
Thanx in advance
o yeah i really think i may need some more help with this course, so i might be posting quite a lot.
Any help is appreciated.

More about : question

April 20, 2001 8:39:57 PM

Yellow = +12v
Red = +5v
2x Black = Ground

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>
a b à CPUs
April 20, 2001 8:44:08 PM

I assume you mean a molex connector? The type used to connect hard drives, cd-rom,floppy, etc.That one is simple.
red=+5
black=-5
black=-12
yellow=+12
I'm not sure about the voltages present in the 40 or 80 connector ribon cables.never checked.

I aint signing nothing!!!
Related resources
April 20, 2001 8:48:04 PM

R U sure the 2 blacks are -12 and -5?

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>
April 20, 2001 11:30:34 PM

The 2 blacks are definitely supposed to be ground.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
"Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?"
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2001 1:54:00 AM

yes. we are talking about DC current on this side of the power supply.AC in and DC out. Yes it is a ground of sort, BUT the two should not be swapped. That is why it is allways written as -5 or -12, not ground.Your power supply has different regulator circuits for each voltage. Crossing the two can cause all sorts of problems.

I aint signing nothing!!!
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2001 6:22:11 AM

I understand your point about not switching them, as each cicuite has it's own protection on some suplies, but they are still zero-volt. They could be deditcated to that line, but since the positive side is the only one that is diferentiated from the case, the black wires should have a common ground.

Suicide is painless...........
!