Favorite things in RLs

Hello, I wondered what were the favorite and the annoying things you
found in RL games. Preferably I'd like you to tell about the most
famous games, but if you feel that the little-known game you're playing
has something really nice, you could tell it, so I'd have a look at it.
Also this'd work as a guide what to( and not to ) include in your
projects.

PS:
Would anybody happen to have some original Conan stories by Robert E.
Howard in english( I see that the russian-translated stuff in free
e-lilbraries are mostly S. De Camp altered and unprofessionally
translated, also if you got in some nice event and have Conan RPG docs
from Mongoose Publishing, I wouldn't refuse them? If you're feeling
generous e-mail 'em to me.

Grosu Oleg, who wants to have stuff for free from the happy RL coders

Cousinoleg@yahoo.com

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

I doubt you could get people here to agree on one guide for what to and
too not include in a rl. If you are still interested i will list a few
features i think are things to include and avoid:

Must includes:
>permadeath
>some form or learning/skill/exp/or leveling system for advancment
>must be in ASCII.... really people why would you rather see 16x16 tiles that you cant tell of what they are?? Maybe an option but the needs to include ascii as its main option.

Should include:
>Magic
>Classes and races
>dungeon!
>i suppose i preffer older style RLs
>strange unpredictable atmosphere and occurances. EG: rings in sinks ala nethack
>look to nethack for inspiration!
>stories... dont be all hack n' slash

Should avoid:
>graphics... there are some cases when i disagree with this but...
>CRPG style
>multiple character parties except when the PC temporarily possesing a creature that is!

Of course these are just my opinions and some of this wouldn't apply to
say a science fiction RL. I do think classic is best!

Good luck with your project!

-Thomas
RL: CHAZM

cousinoleg@yahoo.com wrote:
> PS:
> Would anybody happen to have some original Conan stories by Robert E.
> Howard in english( I see that the russian-translated stuff in free
> e-lilbraries are mostly S. De Camp altered and unprofessionally
> translated, also if you got in some nice event and have Conan RPG docs
> from Mongoose Publishing, I wouldn't refuse them? If you're feeling
> generous e-mail 'em to me.
>
> Grosu Oleg, who wants to have stuff for free from the happy RL coders

If you are interested I have a couple of GURPS Conan books -- they are
almost 99% background oriented (only a little game-wise info).
Unfortunately AFAIR they are not OCR'd (plain scanned pages).
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

>>multiple character parties except when the PC temporarily possesing a creature that is!
I don't get it why should it be avoided? Gathering your team (with it's
own AI) could be a real fun

Edward

Kolczuga <burakozol@wp.pl> wrote:
>>>multiple character parties except when the PC temporarily possesing a
>>> creature that is!

> I don't get it why should it be avoided? Gathering your team (with it's
> own AI) could be a real fun

I agree that it can be really fun.
It can also be very irritating if badly implemented (and most of the
implementations I have seen are not exactly good, especially on the UI
side).

It is partly this issue which has caused me to split my Grand Vision for
my project into two separate projects.
Tradeoffs, everywhere...

--
--jude hungerford.