BSOD Experts? C000021a

Xerical

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Hi Guys,

I am looking for some assistance from anyone who knows how to troubleshoot BSOD's a bit deeper. I have already read through the small dumps with BlueScreenView and fixed any driver issues I found. I also ran Windows 7 Verifier to stress test drivers and uninstalled anything I found to be an issue.

I recently ran into an issue with my system receiving the Stop: C000021a Fatal System Error BSOD. It only occurs at nighttime after I am done gaming. From the system logs it seems to crash right after I get off the system (like within 15 minutes). I do have a screen timeout setting of 15 minutes. However, I play the same games throughout the day on and off with my screen timing out and it doesn't BSOD then. ONLY at nighttime. I can't think of anything else I am doing that is different. Below is a list of changes I recall since the issue started up.

1. Connected my older 24" BenQ FP204W monitor to my GTX 480 as a secondary monitor to my Samsung 27" 120HZ monitor.
2. Updated video drivers
3. Installed Visual Studio 2012
4. Installed and run quad-boxing software (ISBoxer) with Diablo 3

The first couple times I noticed the crash I saw there were nvXXX... driver file issues. I rolled back my NVidia drivers a bit and haven't had those since. I then ran verifier and found a Cisco Client VPN driver and some audio driver issues. I removed the VPN client and removed onboard drivers for my mobo sound, disabled in BIOS as well. I only use a Creative Soundblaster XtremeGamer X-FI card at this time. Since then I only get the C000021a BSOD with a c0000005 code below it. I found this article:
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/105995.aspx

There is no registry key for GinaDLL. The system does not produce dump files from this BSOD. I don't know if there is a way to force it. I just wake up in the morning and the BSOD is on my SECONDARY screen (not primary). I have to manually reset the system.

Not sure where to go from here. I built this machine myself and haven't had any issues with it until now. I am fairly good at troubleshooting system issues but I don't see any more traces to run with. My system specs are:

i7 3770k
Asus Xtremem6 mobo
16GB memory
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128SSD
Win7 64-bit Pro

Thanks

You could have a form of malware that is trying to make you think you're getting a blue screen because a true BSOD will generate a dump file unless you stop it and don't allow it to.

Time to start basic troubleshooting. Run some passes of memory diagnostics on the computer using memtest86+. I would recommend creating a Hirens Boot CD and utilize some of the options available to attempt to resolve your issue. You can find memory and other kinds of diagnostics on this site. The best way to do the memory tests is start it with only one memory module in the unit, test it, if it passes, move on to the next stick.

I would also recommend running either MalwareBytes Anti-Malwarehttp://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_pro/http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_pro/ or Super Anti-Spywarehttp://www.superantispyware.com/http://www.superantispyware.com/ or even both.

The STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED bug check has a value of 0xC000021A. This means that an error has occurred in a crucial user-mode subsystem.

This error occurs when a user-mode subsystem, such as WinLogon or the Client Server Run-Time Subsystem (CSRSS), has been fatally compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. In response, the operating system switches to kernel mode. Microsoft Windows cannot run without WinLogon or CSRSS. Therefore, this is one of the few cases where the failure of a user-mode service can shut down the system.
Mismatched system files can also cause this error. This can occur if you have restored your hard disk from a backup. Some backup programs might skip restoring system files that they determine are in use.

Could be bad RAM, but this isn't the type of BSOD I'd expect. More likely a driver issue. Could be a pain to track down which one if it is a driver problem though...

In the short term, run memtest86+, just to be sure it isn't RAM related. [I doubt it, but easy to check, so why not?]

Xerical

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Update: After removing MS Visual Studio 2012 and SQL server software and then applying windows updates I rebooted the machine. I then remoted into it from work and about 2 hours later it bluescreened. I am not sure if the screens went into sleep because I was idle on the remote when it bluescreened. This time it was a different BSOD. Critical_Object_Termination with ntoskrnl.exe. Bugcheck code was 0x000000F4.

As a next step I unplugged my side monitor (BenQ 24") from my video card. I suspect this is causing the issue and/or the video card driver. I have an NVidia GTX 480.

you have already been pointed to the correct solution. problem is you didnt get the whole infection, your system has been compromised at the most basic level. the user logon. so as soon as your system starts the malware becomes active and likely starts hiding.
you will need to either run something like emisoft rescue tools from a usb (created on a clean computer) or a modified version of hirens boot cd that has updated malware definition tables for its antimalware apps.
you could try using avira and spybot search and destroy then running sfc/scannow to repair any damaged windows files but this may just delay the inevitable if windows was to badly damaged to rescue properly...

or

install a fresh windows version and i mean fresh. save all your user data onto a different drive then....

boot the machine and go into bios to set the dvd as the primary boot drive. save and quit. wait for the dmi to update and the windows logo to appear and turn off the pc.
turn off the pc completley for about a minute including at the wall. wait till all the led's on the motherboard go out and wait 30 seconds.
boot the machine with a windows disk in the dvd. press any key when prompted to boot the disk...
1s the install starts delete the primary partition and the 100mb reserved partition...
now create a new primary boot partition and allow windows to create a new reserve area. quick format the primary and fresh install windows to it. follow the onscreen instructions till its finished. on the first finished boot install your antivirus, gfx drivers, motherboard drivers including ethernet and audio then mosue if you need to.
use a good antivirus like avira backed up with a good antimalware app like malware bytes, emsisofts antimalware or if you cant afford them super antispyware. but make sure what ever you install it has real time protection enabled...
then update windows with all the microsoft updates... in total it will likely take you 4 hours...

good luck...

Xerical

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Although I appreciate the help I disagree that I was given a correct solution. Just because the BSOD does not create a minidump does not mean that it is spyware/malware. There are many instances where a dump is not able to be created or does not initiate. In this case, it did not initiate a dump like my second BSOD did. It just stated the system was shutdown at the bottom. I provided an update to the case because of a different, and new/newer, BSOD message.

I did run Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy... both came back clean. I am not familiar with Emisoft Rescue Tools but I do know Hiren's, just don't have one with the latest malware protection.

Xerical

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
For an update... since I removed the DVI connected secondary monitor I have not had a single BSOD...so that's 3 days so far. Does anyone know why this would cause a BSOD? It really sucks to only be able to use 1 monitor at this time. Is there problems with using 1x 120HZ monitor with 1x 60HZ? Is it recommended to try running 1 off my GTX and 1 off my onboard video? Would that even work?
Thanks