Sign in with
Your question

New rig, randomly unable to boot WIN 7

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 15, 2013 5:20:34 PM

I've recent built myself a new computer. Everything goes well, the OS installs and I get the drivers installed as well. I have put games on it, browsed on it, watch movies etc. but then, after a few shut downs, my computer inevitably goes to the start up repair and fails everytime I run it. If I try to system restore, it fails as well. The only thing I have been able to do is reinstall Windows 7 and try again from scratch. I've done this three times now and while I know how to make it work again, I don't know how to prevent it from occurring every time I shut down.

I am running:

intel 3570k i5
ASUS P8z77 mobo
8 gb gskillz ripjaws raw
1 terabyte SEAGATE internal harddrive
ASUS nvidia 560ti
750 w PCPC SILENCER PSU
ASUS 24 x DVD-RW drive
apevia xtelstar case

Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

More about : rig randomly unable boot win

January 15, 2013 5:25:49 PM

does windows automated repair say what its not liking. like does it give an error code or message of any sort?
m
l
January 15, 2013 5:39:13 PM

0x0 and the system restore just says it is unable to complete
m
l
January 15, 2013 5:40:08 PM

and it says it may be due to a new device being plugged in, then reboots, but when they are all removed, the problem persists.
m
l
January 15, 2013 5:49:15 PM

i had a microphone, a webcam, wireless mouse and keyboard and an external hdd plugged in
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2013 5:55:32 PM

Could be windows update doing a driver update over top of other drivers? Does it only do it after windows does it updates?
m
l
January 15, 2013 6:00:45 PM

I am not 100 percent sure but that does sound pretty familiar. It would install the updates on its way shutting down and then when i restarted it, I would have the issues. How would I go abnout resolving this?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2013 7:55:25 PM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
January 15, 2013 7:57:22 PM

I ran chkdsk and it came back with no errors, does that root out a failing hard drive?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2013 8:10:57 PM

wmclaug2 said:
I ran chkdsk and it came back with no errors, does that root out a failing hard drive?

Hi :) 

No, lol... chkdsk is chocolate teapot time as far as testing hard drives is concerned...

Run Hirens FULL TEST...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
January 15, 2013 8:13:45 PM

with my limited knowledge I assumed so, I will do so as soon as I get home. Thank you for the advice
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2013 8:17:47 PM

make sure your HSF is attached correctly for one (pull on it)

you need to test your hdd not the file system stored on it, also test ram and everything else as it could cause these issues
m
l
!