Comments on the latest Castlevania release (1.1d)

I just decided to try out Castlevania and here are my first impressions
and comments:

+ I like the setting, vampires, rumours about people disappearing etc. nice

- I didn't much like the inconsistency when it comes to dismissing
dialogs. I'd prefer ESC to close all dialogs, sometimes it was Space,
other times 'c'

- I could only get the full screen swing version running. When trying
crl.bat I got:

at jcurses.system.CharColor.initChtype(CharColor.java:190)
at jcurses.system.CharColor.<init>(CharColor.java:65)
at jcurses.system.CharColor.<init>(CharColor.java:77)
at jcurses.system.CharColor.<init>(CharColor.java:88)
at crl.j.a.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
at crl.game.Game.a(Unknown Source)
at crl.game.Game.main(Unknown Source)

It is much more obvious that your playing games at work if you do it
full screen window ;-)

- Ingame help mapped to F1. Thats a typical Windows convention. After
pressing '+' I had to resort to the manual to get help (I hate that :-)

Anyways, nice game. I will try it some more later today.

BR,
Björn
8 answers Last reply
More about comments latest castlevania release
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Hello Björn,

    Björn Bergström wrote:
    > I just decided to try out Castlevania and here are my first impressions
    > and comments:
    >
    > + I like the setting, vampires, rumours about people disappearing etc. nice
    >
    > - I didn't much like the inconsistency when it comes to dismissing
    > dialogs. I'd prefer ESC to close all dialogs, sometimes it was Space,
    > other times 'c'

    Ok, I will fix that

    > - I could only get the full screen swing version running. When trying
    > crl.bat I got:
    >
    > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    > at jcurses.system.CharColor.initChtype(CharColor.java:190)
    > at jcurses.system.CharColor.<init>(CharColor.java:65)
    > at jcurses.system.CharColor.<init>(CharColor.java:77)
    > at jcurses.system.CharColor.<init>(CharColor.java:88)
    > at crl.j.a.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
    > at crl.game.Game.a(Unknown Source)
    > at crl.game.Game.main(Unknown Source)

    It happens when you try to run the game from a directory with spaces on
    its filepath, for example: "C:\the games\the rogue likes\castle vania
    rl\", try changing it to "C:\thegames\the_roguelikes\castlevaniarl\"...
    it is caused by the JCurses library...

    Perhaps I must make an installer that puts the library on the java
    classpath thus dismissing this issue, but that would go against the
    nature of RL distributions ;)

    > It is much more obvious that your playing games at work if you do it
    > full screen window ;-)

    Hehehe true...

    I think I will make a windowed swing version for the next release

    > - Ingame help mapped to F1. Thats a typical Windows convention. After
    > pressing '+' I had to resort to the manual to get help (I hate that :-)

    mmm... ok

    > Anyways, nice game. I will try it some more later today.

    Thanks, I await your comments ;)

    --
    Slash
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Brendan Guild wrote:
    > "SZDev - Slash" <java.koder@gmail.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Björn Bergström wrote:
    > >> - I could only get the full screen swing version running. When
    > >> trying crl.bat I got:
    > >>
    > >> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    > >> at jcurses.system.CharColor.initChtype
    > (CharColor.java:190)
    > >> at jcurses.system.CharColor.<init>(CharColor.java:65)
    > >> at jcurses.system.CharColor.<init>(CharColor.java:77)
    > >> at jcurses.system.CharColor.<init>(CharColor.java:88)
    > >> at crl.j.a.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
    > >> at crl.game.Game.a(Unknown Source)
    > >> at crl.game.Game.main(Unknown Source)
    > >
    > > It happens when you try to run the game from a directory with
    > > spaces on its filepath, for example:
    > > "C:\the games\the rogue likes\castle vania rl\", try changing it to
    > > "C:\thegames\the_roguelikes\castlevaniarl\"... it is caused by the
    > > JCurses library...
    >
    > Couldn't you catch that exception and display an informative message?
    > That would save you from explaining it again and again.

    Yes, I have done so now. Thanks

    > Maybe I am misreading that stack trace, but the exception seems to go
    > through several layers of the game code after coming out of jcurses,
    > so it's surprising that you would let it slip through the cracks!

    Not really very surprising; as you can see this is not an Exception but
    an Error, so you dont get to know where it can possibly be thrown at
    compile time

    > would try to catch every possible exception and either somehow
    > continue the game or give an apology and stop with a good reason why.

    Off course, me too. (for 'Exception's ;) )

    --
    Slash
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    SZDev - Slash wrote:
    > Hello Björn,
    >
    > Björn Bergström wrote:
    > > I just decided to try out Castlevania and here are my first impressions

    SNIP

    > > - Ingame help mapped to F1. Thats a typical Windows convention. After
    > > pressing '+' I had to resort to the manual to get help (I hate that :-)
    >
    > mmm... ok

    So, binding it to '+' will be more proper? or is '?' better ?

    > > Anyways, nice game. I will try it some more later today.
    >
    > Thanks, I await your comments ;)
    >

    > > BR,
    > > Björn
    >
    > --
    > Slash
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Brendan Guild wrote:
    > SZDev - Slash wrote in news:1127250712.830945.153950
    > @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    > > Brendan Guild wrote:
    > >> Maybe I am misreading that stack trace, but the exception seems to
    > >> go through several layers of the game code after coming out of
    > >> jcurses, so it's surprising that you would let it slip through the
    > >> cracks!
    > >
    > > Not really very surprising; as you can see this is not an Exception
    > > but an Error, so you dont get to know where it can possibly be
    > > thrown at compile time
    >
    > That's a very good point, but a lot of Errors are documented.

    Well, I must admit I didnt read the documentation of JCurses.. (does it
    exist?)

    > And
    > even if you can't predict an error in any way, you can still catch it
    > as a generic error.

    Yes

    > Depending on where you catch it, you might even
    > be able to continue executing or even guess what the error is caused
    > by! You've probably already done this, but you could at least show a
    > message indicating that there is a bug and suggesting a bug report,
    > then giving the stack trace.

    Yes I have done this already; well, in this specific case it is clearly
    not a recoverable error... it is also not a bug to be reported as there
    is not much I can do to fix it, so I just tell the user to relocate the
    game, put the libraries on the standard classpath or just run the swing
    version hehehe

    > Most importantly, it would be nice to catch a fatal exception or
    > error and report it as a death, to give the player the standard
    > messages about their status upon death, killed by
    > IndexOutOfBoundsException.

    ROTFL! That would be the most funny thing to see on a roguelike!! :D :D

    "The tales of Jeronimo, a level 45 black wizard...

    He was a master in the arts arcane
    He destroyed the Lord of Hell
    He became the master of heavens

    He was killed by a NullPointerException while eating a ration in some
    dark caverns.
    "
    --
    Slash
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    "SZDev - Slash" <java.koder@gmail.com> wrote in

    > Björn Bergström wrote:
    >> - I could only get the full screen swing version running. When
    >> trying crl.bat I got:
    >>
    >> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    >> at jcurses.system.CharColor.initChtype
    (CharColor.java:190)
    >> at jcurses.system.CharColor.<init>(CharColor.java:65)
    >> at jcurses.system.CharColor.<init>(CharColor.java:77)
    >> at jcurses.system.CharColor.<init>(CharColor.java:88)
    >> at crl.j.a.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
    >> at crl.game.Game.a(Unknown Source)
    >> at crl.game.Game.main(Unknown Source)
    >
    > It happens when you try to run the game from a directory with
    > spaces on its filepath, for example:
    > "C:\the games\the rogue likes\castle vania rl\", try changing it to
    > "C:\thegames\the_roguelikes\castlevaniarl\"... it is caused by the
    > JCurses library...

    Couldn't you catch that exception and display an informative message?
    That would save you from explaining it again and again.

    Maybe I am misreading that stack trace, but the exception seems to go
    through several layers of the game code after coming out of jcurses,
    so it's surprising that you would let it slip through the cracks! I
    would try to catch every possible exception and either somehow
    continue the game or give an apology and stop with a good reason why.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    SZDev - Slash wrote in news:1127250712.830945.153950
    @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    > Brendan Guild wrote:
    >> Maybe I am misreading that stack trace, but the exception seems to
    >> go through several layers of the game code after coming out of
    >> jcurses, so it's surprising that you would let it slip through the
    >> cracks!
    >
    > Not really very surprising; as you can see this is not an Exception
    > but an Error, so you dont get to know where it can possibly be
    > thrown at compile time

    That's a very good point, but a lot of Errors are documented. And
    even if you can't predict an error in any way, you can still catch it
    as a generic error. Depending on where you catch it, you might even
    be able to continue executing or even guess what the error is caused
    by! You've probably already done this, but you could at least show a
    message indicating that there is a bug and suggesting a bug report,
    then giving the stack trace.

    Most importantly, it would be nice to catch a fatal exception or
    error and report it as a death, to give the player the standard
    messages about their status upon death, killed by
    IndexOutOfBoundsException.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    SZDev - Slash wrote in news:1127255735.191728.68500
    @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    > Well, I must admit I didnt read the documentation of JCurses..
    > (does it exist?)

    I can't find it on the website at:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/javacurses/

    I'm sure you've searched there more carefully than I have. The source
    code is all setup for use with Javadoc, so you could always compile
    some documentation yourself.

    But as far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any documentation
    of Errors or exceptions of any kind in JCurses. At least not for that
    particular error.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    SZDev - Slash wrote:
    > SZDev - Slash wrote:
    >
    >>Hello Björn,
    >>
    >>Björn Bergström wrote:
    >>
    >>>I just decided to try out Castlevania and here are my first impressions
    >

    > SNIP
    >

    >>>- Ingame help mapped to F1. Thats a typical Windows convention. After
    >>>pressing '+' I had to resort to the manual to get help (I hate that :-)
    >>
    >>mmm... ok
    >

    > So, binding it to '+' will be more proper? or is '?' better ?

    Ooops, sorry! On my Swedish keyboard '+' and '?' are on the same key.
    Forgot to use shift :-) Sorry for the confusion. '?' is ofcourse
    prefereable.

    >>>Anyways, nice game. I will try it some more later today.
    >>
    >>Thanks, I await your comments ;)

    They're coming :-)

    >>>BR,
    >>>Björn