Why is my CPU 75% when nothing is running?

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I use system monitor (in Windows) to check my cpu load from time to time. Right now, it's at 75% when nothing is running. Actually, I just have these apps running:

1) System Monitor
2) Explorer
3) SysTray
4) Rnaapp (I use RASPPPoE for my ADSL connection with Pacbell)
5) Point32 (for Microsoft Intellimouse Optical)
6) Atipaxx (ATI Radeon Graphics card)

I've went online, checked my email and stuff, the shut down most all my apps. But, the load is still high. Can I get some help?

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
And what's the actual spec of your CPU?

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmmm.
not to scare you or anything but i was once
using a 500mhz cellery, and i got a trojan
horse virus that made my processor usage go
up to 100% as soon as i logged onto my
DSL subscriber.
if you have Norton Utilites,
then you can use "system info" to check exactly
what programs are running. other applications
may let you do the same thing
NOT everything shows up in the "applications
running" task bar or when u press "ctrl+alt+delete"

hope this helps

ThePoo!

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
My computer isn't running slow at all. Now, after running programs, such as AOL Instant Messenger and MSN Messenger then shutting them down after awhile, my usage is steady at 50%. But, I can't see anything running that'll require activity. Why would it hold at 50% anyways???

<b>Specs:</b>
Athlon T-Bird 850 overclocked to 1000MHz (133x7.5)
256MB SDRAM CAS2 - Micron

G

I had that problem once...

with my old k6-2 350..
in windows 2000 it was lusing using 80% cpu for nothing

it turne dout to be some background application always running

it was some weird app
uninstall everything u know u dont use or dont want

.. maybe format..

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

G

P.S

using Contol Alt Delete i still had nothing showing..
but there was some app running
it was something i isntalled online
like a cursor or something..
but it didnt show up running in contro alt delte

Oh ALSO>!!!!!!!!

GO START in windows

RUN
and type

MSCONFIG and enter.
then..
Go to Selective startup
and uncheck everything u dont need
maybe one of those is causing it
=)

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I might've tracked the general problem. It's in the Win.ini file. I cleared the box for it using System Configuration Utility, and I started up RASPPPoE (which I thought was the one with the problem). It hasn't gone over 40%. Now, I don't know what to do from here. I really don't want to have to format...that'd be so brutal...

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Okay, I bumped up my voltage back to 1.85v since weird stuff has been happening...weird errors when I restored backups using Drive Image 4.0, trying to find the culprit on why my computer has been using 75-80% of my processor when barely anything was running.

I just installed MBM5 to track my temps. After being online for awhile (RASPPPoE), my broswer is open, and Atipaxx is in the processes list (ctrl+alt+del), system monitor is reporting a little over 80% processer usage.

I just want to know something: How you you check to see that your cpu is at idle, or running 100%? Is everyone just assuming that when they are running an intense program, that it's at full load? Or when they shut all the programs off, it'll be idle?

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Also, I don't have a virus on my computer. I just updated Norton Antivirus with the latest, and nothing was detected.

If anyone has used Drive Image, or Norton Ghost, or subscribes to <A HREF="http://www.langa.com" target="_new">Fred Langa's Newsletter</A>, then you'll know what I'm talking about.

1) I created an image of right after I did a fresh Windows 98SE install.

2) I installed all drivers for my hardware (graphics, audio, motherboard), which I downloaded the most recent version. I went to WindowsUpdate and installed all critical fixes. Using System File Checker, I made sure all file were the correct versions and that there were no conflicts. Finally, created an image of this on my other partition.

3) After this, I installed Internet Explorer 5.01 SP2 and Office 2000 with any updates and fixes that they needed. Then, I made yet another image.

4) Finally, I installed all the apps that I can trust are the ones that I most "need". I say it like that because I might not use some a lot, like RealPlayer, but it should still be installed cuz you never know when you might need it sometime. After installing all the important apps, I backed this up.

5) I restored the image after the I installed Windows 98SE and all the drivers and fixes. The system monitor was fine when I was online and running programs.

6) So, I restored the image after I installed IE5 + Office. System monitor seemed to be okay. So, I installed MBM5 because I wanted to monitor my temps. Yesterday, the cpu load didn't go high. Now, it's over 80%, and I'm just running ADSL software to get online (RASPPPoE), system monitor, MBM5, the drivers for the graphics card, and of course Internet Explorer.

Now what's goin on?

BTW, I'm sorry this was so long, but I'm just really thorough with my computer and its performance.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
There is a reported bug in System Monitor for Windows 98/98SE. I don't know if other versions of Windows are affected.

"System Monitor reports 25% CPU activity with no processes running!
There appears to be a bug in the Windows 98 and Windows 98SE System Monitor application which incorrectly reports CPU activity. This is probably due to it reporting the CPU cooling functionality of ACPI as CPU activity. If you use a more sophisticated tool such as the excellent <A HREF="http://www.iarsn.com/" target="_new">TaskInfo2000</A> (shareware but not crippled) you will see that whilst System Monitor reports 30% CPU activity, TaskInfo2000 reports 99.1% idle!!"

- from <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/kt7faq.htm" target="_new">Paul's Unofficial Abit KT7 FAQ</A>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Man, I wish I would've actually done this first; I just looked system monitor up in the <A HREF="http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?ln=en-us&sd=gn" target="_new">Microsoft Support Knowledge Base</A>. And I found it: it says that you can just ignore this because it has nothing to do with the system functionality. <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q227/1/31.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=1&qry=system monitor kernel processor usage&rnk=2&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98SE" target="_new">Click here</A>

So, I guess I'll try that shareware program you offered. But, I'd like one that is freeware. Oh well. Can someone still answer my question on how they tell the difference if their cpu load is idle or at 100%???