Desktop will not start after moving

edjsauce

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Hi Tom's Hardware! First poster here. This forum has solved every single one of my computer issues in the past, and after getting no help from yahoo answers whatsoever on this issue, I figured it was about time to make my own account. I have no idea if I'm posting this in the right place, so if it's not, feel free to move it please.

So here's my issue. I have a desktop computer. It has a phenom x6 1045t, 4 gigs of ram, an hd 6870, and a 530 watt psu, running windows 7. A month ago, it was running perfectly here in my dorm room. I went on winter break and drove it home with me. It was running perfectly there, too. I have just come back to school from winter break and I cannot get it to start properly. Literally NOTHING has changed with the hardware since about 4 months ago, when I first upgraded my video card to the 6870. It is plugged into the same surge protector in the same outlet it was a month ago, when it was last here. Here's what happens when I try to start it: It goes through the initial ASUS booting screen, then onto the starting windows screen. Then, out of nowhere, my monitor says it's "going to sleep," the lights on my keyboard flash, and it restarts the booting cycle. However, if I tell it to boot into safe mode, it starts without any issues. I need some help identifying the problem here. My first thought was a power issue, but again, it worked fine a few days ago, and it was working fine in these outlets before. I was very gentle in the move, so i doubt the PSU was damaged. The fans are all spinning and the LEDs still come on. Hard drive must be fine, otherwise it wouldn't work in safe mode. Ran a memory test, RAM is fine too. Maybe something with the video card? But I don't know what. I need some help identifying what the issue could possibly be.

Additional info: Actually, it successfully started yesterday too, in my dorm room. I used it for about half an hour then let it hibernate, and only now am I having issues. Also, the fan on my video card was going crazy, but after I re-seated it, it calmed down. I rechecked all the wiring as well and everything seems fine.

Thanks!

Solution
I think you're on the right track at finding the issue.

It's time you take a look at everything running and starting up when your computer does.

I would recommend using Autoruns.

Not sure what all those things are? Go to HERE for help with identifying those pesky startup items.

You got a good headway by trying to run a diagnostic startup but you will have to give it some time and patience and go through the items and see what is there. It starting in Safe Mode just fine tells me something is wonky with the way Windows is behaving. It could be an underlying hardware issue from the move but not likely.

Just so you don't think we are all senile, even though you moved it as carefully as you...
something pop lose in the move. i would power off the pc then open the case and reset the ram and any other card.also check that the cpu and heat sink are fine. also push down on the power cables and chech the cables going to the drives. if it not a hardware issue then boot into safe mode and use ms config turn everything off in start up. then see if windows loads.if it does it a damaged program.

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Hibernation is not great for desktops. Have you tried repairing the Windows 7 installation? You could also try Hiren's or another boot CD to see if it is an issue with the hardware or Windows 7. I suspect the problems is with Win 7.

edjsauce

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Jim: I don't understand how there could be a problem with the OS. The problem occurred between sessions somehow, and nothing changed in terms of software. I also tried reverting back to a previous image, to be sure, and that did not work either. I'm rechecking the cables now and everything seems to be in order..

Also is hibernation really bad for my computer? I have hibernated every one of my desktops since forever, since I could never be bothered to wait for them to boot all the way.

Thanks.

edjsauce

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Ah, ok, thank you! I'll have to look into that later, once I get this stupid machine running again :/

So I tried going into the msconfig from safemode and told it to perform a diagnostic startup. However, I still had the same issues, computer will not get past the starting windows splashscreen without dying.

I think you're on the right track at finding the issue.

It's time you take a look at everything running and starting up when your computer does.

I would recommend using Autoruns.

Not sure what all those things are? Go to HERE for help with identifying those pesky startup items.

You got a good headway by trying to run a diagnostic startup but you will have to give it some time and patience and go through the items and see what is there. It starting in Safe Mode just fine tells me something is wonky with the way Windows is behaving. It could be an underlying hardware issue from the move but not likely.

Just so you don't think we are all senile, even though you moved it as carefully as you could, something could have still gotten the computer. Static electricity is a computers #1 enemy when moving and it usually happens when you least expect it. I've seen it take out a whole computer just from moving from one room to another.

Solution

edjsauce

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Hi, thanks! So update on the issue: I uninstalled my 6870 from the device manager while in safemode and rebooted, and I managed to get windows to boot all the way using the integrated graphics. Once I had rebooted, windows automatically reinstalled the 6870 drivers (using some old drivers from 2011 it seems), so I rebooted again to see what happened. Lo and behold, windows got stuck in the booting cycled yet again and I had to go back to safe mode. So it seems I am zeroing in on my problem. Now...can it be fixed? Is it something with the drivers? Or is my card fried? Hmm.

edjsauce

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
OK, Looks like problem solved! Uninstalled, removed, and replaced, and reinstalled the 6870 and it booted all the way! Looks like it was the problem after all, but seems to have fixed itself. Thanks everyone for all the help!