I just blew my Athlon 1.2GHz

G

My fan ceased working, and I think I cooked the chip. My fan is a Global Win FOP32.

What can I do?
Would AMD take the chip, and would they realise that it was cooked due to a fan problem?

Are the fan manufacturers at all liable for chip damage?

f@#$%%$#ckkkkkkkk!!

PS: how hot does a chip get before it blows?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by normy on 04/22/01 03:04 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Well next time get an Intel chip and you won't have this problem. hehehehe

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
according to ASSUS the AMD "set it and forget it" athlons slow roast for an hour before being completely cooked.

anything under 1 hour is rare.

"AMD...you are the weakest link, good bye!"

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
is it still under warranty?

As long as you can show that you haven't tried to modify the chip in anyway (i.e. overclock it) and that the HSF failed because it was a defective part then wherever you bought it from should replace it. But that's just my guess.

Your chip would get up to 95C before it died.

can you indeed confirm that your chip is fried?

G

Bad luck dude. Your another victim of a marketing concept called "brand loyalty". You got to check out forums BEFORE you buy something. Check out the posts over the last few days and you'll realise that just about every second post is a fryed AMD unit. If its not that it's a compatability or chipset issue. Did you put some UV resitant cream on it when you took it out of the shop? Apparently even exposing them to the sun now can fry them. At least you get to keep the free frypan.

"Cock-a-doodle-do" is what I say to my girl when I wake her UP in the morning!!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You're the unlucky 1/500 people who have a fan problem. IT should be covered by the warranty.

From now on when someone asks you how fast your computer is, tell them your benchmark scores.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You might also check with GlobalWin and see if they will cover your loss, since their part failed. (They probably will only replace the fan but it's worth a try).

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
bloody hell!!! don't any of you read the actual posts? he said his fan stoped working. was that amd's problem? did their secret "fan shut off" coding initiate itself? you all make me sick. either try and help the man or shut up.

At the core of every system: "I'm sorry dave, i'm afraid i can't do that."

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think the fan manufacture will only replace the fan. Can anyone give suggestion on which fan is better. I am going to build my system soon.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>My fan ceased working, and I think I cooked the chip. My fan is a Global Win FOP32.</b>
What motherboard are using? Shouldn't it have an <b>utility</b> such as <b>ASUS probe</b> or <b>VIA monitor</b> to set off alarm when CPU reachs dangerous temperaure?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Even if it doesn't, then something like <A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/" target="_new">Motherboard Monitor</A> handles the fan/temp/voltage monitors just fine. Used in combination with <A HREF="http://www.dworld.de/shdnintern.htm" target="_new">Shutdown NOW!</A>, it can automatically shut down the system if it sees something start to go out of range. If you're running NT 4, you can get NT PowerDown from the same place as Shutdown NOW! to enable a soft power-off in NT.

I've tried the system, it works, it takes all of five minutes to power down the system. People have just got to be responsible enough to <i>use</i> the thing.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

G

No its not AMD's fault that the fan went, but it is AMD's fault that the chip cooked itself, no protection. And Grizely1 if 1/500 have a fan problem then say a million people have AMD processors, you're gonna have about 2000 pissed of people with silicon key chains. Not a good ratio for a CPU if you ask me.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Hack_Benjamin on 04/22/01 03:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I made it 1/500 so the Intel freaks wouldn't get pissed saying "Thats too low!". It's actually about 1/10,000

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
And I suppose that like FUGGER, you buy fans that only last a year. Hey, that's your problem. The only time I've ever seen a system fan come close to failing was when a customer was stupid enough to stick a pencil in the fan blades. And I've worked with a <i>lot</i> of system fans, some of which were several years old.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Actually, if you look around, most of the AMD users here used to be Intel users. The shift to the current state of things happened a little while after the Athlon came out.

So the term "brand loyalty" doesn't really fit...

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

G

No, I just buy Intel chips and don't worry about anything.
And who the hell said anything about brand loyalty?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Hack_Benjamin on 04/22/01 04:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
tonestar mentioned brand loyalty. Notice the "re: tonestar" in the header bar of my post on brand loyalty.

As for me, I don't worry either. I just get health monitor software, set it up properly, and end up getting better performance and equal stability for a lower price. But hey, that's just me. :wink:

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

G

hmmm well if the processor was under warranty it should be fine, good luck i hope u get a replacement!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
it's a shame that when you install an OEM processor there is no warranty isn't it?

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

Update: The fan is OK. It's the fan power supply from the motherboard that is foogled.

The motherboard I am using is an MSI K7T Turbo. There doesn't seem to be any setting in the BIOS for a temperature threshold.

Thanx for the advice... especially the shutdown software:)

TRENDING THREADS