RogeBasin Articles

I've been browsing through RogueBasin lately, fixing minor problems here
and there, and adding a few small entries (my entry, Mersenne Twister,
and a couple others). I'm going to start doing what a few people have
talked about, but nobody has done yet: start moving useful rgrd threads
to RogueBasin.

Anyone have any recommendations of threads they would like to see
cleaned up and moved?
10 answers Last reply
More about rogebasin articles
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Architecture OOD
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Timothy Pruett wrote:
    > I've been browsing through RogueBasin lately, fixing minor problems here
    > and there, and adding a few small entries (my entry, Mersenne Twister,
    > and a couple others). I'm going to start doing what a few people have
    > talked about, but nobody has done yet: start moving useful rgrd threads
    > to RogueBasin.
    >
    > Anyone have any recommendations of threads they would like to see
    > cleaned up and moved?

    Let me rephrase myself quickly before anyone gets offended: "I'm going
    to start doing what a few people have talked about, but nobody has
    done yet on a larger scale."

    I think RogueBasin really needs more content, and I'm in a position
    where I'll have a pretty large number of hours to kill over the next
    couple of weeks, so I'll be able to help expand RogueBasin a bit.

    A few ideas of threads that would make good articles:

    "An idea for a dungeon object" by Radomir would make a nice entry,
    preferably in a new category, containing small, individual content
    ideas like the one described in the thread.

    An article derived from "Delayed actions in turn-based systems" seems
    to be a good idea as well.

    "Handling interactions" is another one that I'm assuming would fare
    well as an article. Enough people seemed to have found it a rather
    discussion-worthy topic.

    Radomir started a thread("Losing without dying"), in which he states
    that he wants to eventually move it to wiki, but I haven't seen it
    there yet. If it's okay with you, Radomir, I can go ahead and move it
    there for you.

    I'd also like to see a copy of "Modern dungeon exploration", "Item
    events ?", "Roleplaying once again", "Material categories ?",
    "Horizontal continuity between dungeons", "Fighting styles", "Spring
    and rubber room positioning", "Weighted random object selection",
    "Power inflation of characters", "intelligent vs stupid slots",
    "Distinction between PC and Monster", and "Sandbox RLs". The vast
    majority of these threads were started by Radomir.

    Any other ideas would be much appreciated. Let's see RogueBasin get a
    little bit bigger!

    --
    My projects are currently on hold, but I do have
    some junk at the site below.

    http://www.freewebs.com/timsrl/index.htm

    --
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Radomir 'The Sheep' Dopieralski wrote:
    > At Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:38:31 -0500,
    > Timothy Pruett wrote:
    >
    > > Timothy Pruett wrote:
    > > The vast
    > > majority of these threads were started by Radomir.
    >
    > I'm a threadstarter, twisted threadstarter.
    > You're the threadstarter, twisted threadstarter.
    > I'm a threadstarter, twisted threadstarter.

    LOL!

    yesh, that's true...

    .... and I think I must get back to posting... may be I must get out of
    job and become a dedicated RL Developer! :D

    --
    Slash
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    At 27 Sep 2005 08:31:46 -0700,
    konijn_ wrote:

    > Architecture OOD

    ^o^
    (
    uu_n )
    ....{ @xx)......rip

    At least give us some time to polish it ;)

    --
    Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski @**@_
    (`') 3 Grrr!

    Radomir 'The Sheep' Dopieralski wrote:
    > At 27 Sep 2005 08:31:46 -0700,
    > konijn_ wrote:
    >

    >>Architecture OOD
    >

    > ^o^
    > (
    > uu_n )
    > ...{ @xx)......rip
    >

    > At least give us some time to polish it ;)

    Yeah, once you guys are done, I think it'd make an excellent addition.
    I've been following that thread for a while now.

    --
    My projects are currently on hold, but I do have
    some junk at the site below.

    http://www.freewebs.com/timsrl/index.htm

    --
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Timothy Pruett wrote:

    > Timothy Pruett wrote:
    > The vast
    > majority of these threads were started by Radomir.

    I'm a threadstarter, twisted threadstarter.
    You're the threadstarter, twisted threadstarter.
    I'm a threadstarter, twisted threadstarter.

    d~
    --
    Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski @**@_
    (Uu) 3 Sigh!
    . . . ..v.vVvVVvVvv.v.. .
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    At Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:39:55 -0500,
    Timothy Pruett wrote:

    > Radomir 'The Sheep' Dopieralski wrote:
    >> At 27 Sep 2005 08:31:46 -0700,
    >> konijn_ wrote:
    >>

    >>>Architecture OOD
    >>

    >> ^o^
    >> (
    >> uu_n )
    >> ...{ @xx)......rip
    >>

    >> At least give us some time to polish it ;)
    >
    > Yeah, once you guys are done, I think it'd make an excellent addition.
    > I've been following that thread for a while now.

    I felt it that there was someone sitting back and looking, just to see
    what happends...

    --
    Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski @**@_
    (><) 3 Ouch!

    On 27 Sep 2005 15:44:26 GMT, Radomir 'The Sheep' Dopieralski <thesheep@
    sheep.prv.pl> tried to confuse everyone with this message:

    >At 27 Sep 2005 08:31:46 -0700,
    > konijn_ wrote:
    >
    >> Architecture OOD
    >
    > ^o^
    > (
    > uu_n )
    >...{ @xx)......rip
    >

    >At least give us some time to polish it ;)

    But if it would be in Polish, most of us won't be able to understand it!

    :)

    --
    |a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
    | m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru http://grue3.tripod.com |
    | k || PWNZ J00 || Kingdom of Loathing: Grue3 lvl 18 Seal Clubber |
    `-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    At Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:26:34 GMT,
    Timofei Shatrov wrote:

    > On 27 Sep 2005 15:44:26 GMT, Radomir 'The Sheep' Dopieralski <thesheep@
    > sheep.prv.pl> tried to confuse everyone with this message:
    >>At least give us some time to polish it ;)
    > But if it would be in Polish, most of us won't be able to understand it!
    Doesn't matter. At least you would be able to compile it into binaries,
    as recently revealed on rec.games.roguelike.misc ;)

    --
    Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski @**@_
    (Uu) 3 Sigh!
    . . . ..v.vVvVVvVvv.v.. .
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Timothy Pruett wrote in

    > Any other ideas would be much appreciated. Let's see RogueBasin get a
    > little bit bigger!

    I will be writing at least one article for RogueBasin based on the
    Architecture OOD thread once I've got a really good handle on how
    roguelikes should be writen, excluding all little details like
    algorithms, game rules, and UI design that have been covered in so many
    ways already. I intend to make writing a roguelike easy by covering that
    which really makes them hard: wrapping your head around all the little
    bits of a roguelike and putting them together smoothly, flexibly, and
    avoiding rewrites.

    Of course, I'm sure it would be better for someone who has actually built
    a playable roguelike with the techniques he is describing to write such a
    thing, but since there is nothing like that on RogueBasin already, it's a
    hole that needs at least some filling. I'll give it another attempt when
    my roguelike is finished, which shouldn't be too long because I know that
    the key to finishing a roguelike is to aim for simplicity.

Development Games Video Games