YANI - Cursed amulet of strangulation

What do you want to wield? [- ab or ?*]f
f - a cursed amulet of strangulation (weapon in hand).
You hit the Wizard of Yendor.--More--
You slip it around the Wizard of Yendor's neck!
It constricts the Wizard of Yendor's throat!
The Wizard of Yendor finds it hard to breathe.
The Wizard of Yendor attempts to remove it, but in vain.--more--
The Wizard of Yendor is gasping for air.
The Wizard of Yendor can no longer breathe.
The Wizard of Yendor is turning blue.
The Wizard of Yendor suffocates!

Andy Johnson wrote:
> David Tillotson wrote:
>> Tom Goodman wrote:

>>> If cursed, how could you relinquish it ?

>> You couldn't. You would have to drag around his
>> corpse like a ball and chain.

> Or just eat it. :)

And of course, if in doing so, you happen
in your haste to swallow the amulet as well,
you would gain the game's _least_ desirable
intrinsic, intrinsic strangulation.

xanthian.

To promote which, if a patch writer wanted to be
really, really evil, the amulet could change to a
meat amulet at the death of the Wizard or other NPC,
and embed itself into the corpse, making eating it
really, really easy to do by mistake.

Tom Goodman wrote:
> BManx2000 wrote:
>
>> What do you want to wield? [- ab or ?*]f
>> f - a cursed amulet of strangulation (weapon in hand).
>> You hit the Wizard of Yendor.--More--
>> You slip it around the Wizard of Yendor's neck!
>> It constricts the Wizard of Yendor's throat!
>> The Wizard of Yendor finds it hard to breathe.
>> The Wizard of Yendor attempts to remove it, but in vain.--more--
>> The Wizard of Yendor is gasping for air.
>> The Wizard of Yendor can no longer breathe.
>> The Wizard of Yendor is turning blue.
>> The Wizard of Yendor suffocates!
>
> If cursed, how could you relinquish it ?

You couldn't. You would have to drag around his corpse like a ball and
chain.

Atillo

David Tillotson wrote:
> Tom Goodman wrote:
>
>> BManx2000 wrote:
>>
>>> What do you want to wield? [- ab or ?*]f
>>> f - a cursed amulet of strangulation (weapon in hand).
>>> You hit the Wizard of Yendor.--More--
>>> You slip it around the Wizard of Yendor's neck!
>>> It constricts the Wizard of Yendor's throat!
>>> The Wizard of Yendor finds it hard to breathe.
>>> The Wizard of Yendor attempts to remove it, but in vain.--more--
>>> The Wizard of Yendor is gasping for air.
>>> The Wizard of Yendor can no longer breathe.
>>> The Wizard of Yendor is turning blue.
>>> The Wizard of Yendor suffocates!
>>

>> If cursed, how could you relinquish it ?
>

> You couldn't. You would have to drag around his corpse like a ball and
> chain.
>

> Atillo

Or just eat it. :)

xanthian@well.com wrote:

> And of course, if in doing so, you happen in your haste to swallow the
> amulet as well, you would gain the game's _least_ desirable intrinsic,
> intrinsic strangulation.

What happens if you also have intrinsic magical breathing?

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
--Matt Groening

BManx2000 wrote:
> What do you want to wield? [- ab or ?*]f
> f - a cursed amulet of strangulation (weapon in hand).
> You hit the Wizard of Yendor.--More--
> You slip it around the Wizard of Yendor's neck!
> It constricts the Wizard of Yendor's throat!
> The Wizard of Yendor finds it hard to breathe.
> The Wizard of Yendor attempts to remove it, but in vain.--more--
> The Wizard of Yendor is gasping for air.
> The Wizard of Yendor can no longer breathe.
> The Wizard of Yendor is turning blue.
> The Wizard of Yendor suffocates!

The hobbit wields an amulet.
The hobbit hits.--More--
It slips the amulet around your neck!
etc.

Is that really what you want? After all, what's good for the goose ...

Philip Bollom wrote:
> BManx2000 wrote:
> > What do you want to wield? [- ab or ?*]f
> > f - a cursed amulet of strangulation (weapon in hand).
> > You hit the Wizard of Yendor.--More--
> > You slip it around the Wizard of Yendor's neck!
> > It constricts the Wizard of Yendor's throat!
> > The Wizard of Yendor finds it hard to breathe.
> > The Wizard of Yendor attempts to remove it, but in vain.--more--
> > The Wizard of Yendor is gasping for air.
> > The Wizard of Yendor can no longer breathe.
> > The Wizard of Yendor is turning blue.
> > The Wizard of Yendor suffocates!
>
> The hobbit wields an amulet.
> The hobbit hits.--More--
> It slips the amulet around your neck!
> etc.
>
> Is that really what you want? After all, what's good for the goose

The hobbit slips the triangular amulet around your neck.--More--
The hobbit hits! The hobbit hits! You die.--More--
But wait! Your medallion begins to glow. Your life has been
saved.--More--
Your medallion crumbles to dust. The hobbit slaps his forehead and
curses.

Benjamin Schieder wrote:
> Sounds more like something S would have. After all, it WANTS you dead
:)

What, a garter snake?

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc (More info?)

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

> What happens if you also have intrinsic magical
> breathing?

That is where TDTTOE. The game already has all the
software needed to grant the RNG a victory via
"Trickery", "Dungeon Collapse", "Panic" and perhaps
other ways to handle those all too frequent logic
conflicts when a player gets a little too clever
for the code's own good.

HTH

xanthian.

You choke, you gasp, you strangle, you die!
-- more --
Your corpse goes right on breathing, as if by magic!
-- more --
The eerie whistling sound weirds you out!
-- more --
Would you like to buy the sound-track of your
demise, at the DoD souvenier shop, only 20
zorkmids, deducted from your credit? [yn] y
DYWYPI? [yn] y

t - a casette tape labeled "YASD"

xanthian@well.com wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>
>> What happens if you also have intrinsic magical
>> breathing?
>
> That is where TDTTOE. The game already has all the software needed to
> grant the RNG a victory via "Trickery", "Dungeon Collapse", "Panic" and
> perhaps other ways to handle those all too frequent logic conflicts when
> a player gets a little too clever for the code's own good.
>
> You choke, you gasp, you strangle, you die!
> -- more --
> Your corpse goes right on breathing, as if by magic!

How about:
Your throat constricts! -- more --
You find you can still breath! -- more --
Too bad you can no longer eat or drink!

--
Benjamin Lewis

I regret to say that we of the FBI are powerless to act in cases of
oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate
commerce. -- J. Edgar Hoover

BManx2000 wrote:

> Cursed non-weapons don't weld to your wand when
> wielded.

That is probably going to count as "cutest typo of
the day".

xanthian.

You try to zap Phideaux with your wand of polymorph.
-- more --
The cursed ball and chain drag the tip of your wand
downward. Oh, oh!
-- more --
Zap! You polymorph your legs into tentacles.
-- more --
Your boots of speed fall off. You feel yourself
slowing down. Your boots of speed are changed
to bronzed booties of bracelet charm size.
-- more --
Would you like this event recorded in your
eventual YASD posting, Rope-Legs? [yn]

Philip Bollom wrote:
> BManx2000 wrote:
>
>>What do you want to wield? [- ab or ?*]f
>>f - a cursed amulet of strangulation (weapon in hand).
>>You hit the Wizard of Yendor.--More--
>>You slip it around the Wizard of Yendor's neck!
>>It constricts the Wizard of Yendor's throat!
>>The Wizard of Yendor finds it hard to breathe.
>>The Wizard of Yendor attempts to remove it, but in vain.--more--
>>The Wizard of Yendor is gasping for air.
>>The Wizard of Yendor can no longer breathe.
>>The Wizard of Yendor is turning blue.
>>The Wizard of Yendor suffocates!
>

> The hobbit wields an amulet.
> The hobbit hits.--More--
> It slips the amulet around your neck!
> etc.
>
> Is that really what you want? After all, what's good for the goose ...

At least it's not as dangerous as the proverbial death-wand-equipped
gnome. You could uncurse the amulet if you have an emergency holy water,
or you would be unaffected it you're already wearing an amulet (it seems
that only one amulet fits around your neck for whatever reason). Or you
could just run away if you see a monster wielding an amulet...

>>And of course, if in doing so, you happen in your haste to swallow the
>>amulet as well, you would gain the game's _least_ desirable intrinsic,
>>intrinsic strangulation.
>
> What happens if you also have intrinsic magical breathing?

Your lungs would collapse and you die of lung cancer.