I cant print emails from outlook

rgilinsky

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
I try to print an email from outlook, and it just goes into a wait loop. The circle spins, and the title bar says outlook is "not responding" - I'll say! I've tried copying the e-mail and pasting it into Word. That works, but when I try to print, I get the same "not responding" situation. I've tried this with a couple of different e-mails, but the problem is the same. This is a new failure in Outllok (and Word). The only thing I've tried is rebooting my PC which didn't help. I would use the Office self-fix, but I can't find it in the 2010 edition. Baffling and annoying. I'll be grateful for your help. Thanks in advance.

Gamoholic

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
It sounds like it's your printer, not Office. Try unplugging the printer from your computer and plugging it back in. If that doesn't work, try unplugging the printer's power and letting it sit for a minute. Might also try reinstalling the printer drivers.

Has the printer worked in the past? What has changed if you been able to print before. If not you need to verify you have your correct printer set as the default printer on your system. Click on the "start" button and select "Printers and Faxes". Is the printer your using a personal or network attached printer listed as the default printer?. If not select it as the default printer. Be sure you system has the proper drivers for the printer installed. Print some test pages from the printer configuration area to be sure your properly connected. When you go to print a document be sure you have that printer selected as the printer your going to print from on the print screen.

rgilinsky

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

It's not the printer for two reasons as I have worked out: (1) Printing works flawlessly on any document but the ones I reported: e-mails from Outlook or an e-mail cut-and-pasted from Outlook into Word. The problem started yesterday. I've rebooted. That didn't help. (2) The failure occurs as soon as I click 'print.' The print dialog doesn't even appear for me to select my printer - although it is the default setting. I'm trying to print to a PDF driver, something I do regularly without incident and still do, again, except in the cases cited, but in these cases I don't even get to choose that option. (I haven't tried to set my PDF writer as the default. That might prove a helpful diagnostic step.)

So the replies about the printer I'm afraid are off the mark. Absent someone's insight into this (about which I'm not hopeful since it seems to be a bizarre situation) I plan to (a) try to repair my Offfice 2010 installation, and (b) that failing, to reinstall Office.

However, I'm still hopeful someone will have another suggestion. Thanks.

rgilinsky

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

It's not the printer for two reasons as I have worked out: (1) Printing works flawlessly on any document but the ones I reported: e-mails from Outlook or an e-mail cut-and-pasted from Outlook into Word. The problem started yesterday. I've rebooted. That didn't help. (2) The failure occurs as soon as I click 'print.' The print dialog doesn't even appear for me to select my printer - although it is the default setting. I'm trying to print to a PDF driver, something I do regularly without incident and still do, again, except in the cases cited, but in these cases I don't even get to choose that option. (I haven't tried to set my PDF writer as the default. That might prove a helpful diagnostic step.)

So the replies about the printer I'm afraid are off the mark. Absent someone's insight into this (about which I'm not hopeful since it seems to be a bizarre situation) I plan to (a) try to repair my Offfice 2010 installation, and (b) that failing, to reinstall Office.

However, I'm still hopeful someone will have another suggestion. Thanks.

rgilinsky

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Update: I ran the 'repair' option (control panel|programs|office 2010| right-click/repair) on my Office installation, and the problem has gone away, I'm very happy to report. I believe this supports my theory that the problem was in Outlook/Word. In any event, things are working happily now. Thanks for your input.