Wandering Peaceful Aligned Priest?

While wandering around DL14 I came across a peaceful, aligned priest who
was wandering around as well! I thought it might've been a polytrap since
there was a peaceful dwarf lord in another room but that dwarf lord is
still in his original form.

Does something like this ever happen in Nethack?

Haakon Studebaker <heptapod@gmail.com> wrote in

> While wandering around DL14 I came across a peaceful, aligned priest
> who was wandering around as well! I thought it might've been a
> polytrap since there was a peaceful dwarf lord in another room but
> that dwarf lord is still in his original form.
>
> Does something like this ever happen in Nethack?

Don't talk to him! If you do in my experience they always become mad and
beat you up.

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc (More info?)

Jakob Creutzig wrote:

> YANI: Wandering preacher. Does zero damage plus
> sleep attack. Listening raises alginment,
> however.

> "The preacher sermonises endlessly about the glory
> of the right path. You fall asleep." (with sleep
> resistance, "You barely stay awake.", as a priest
> "You listen with great interest and nod
> knowingly."). "You awake/feel inspired".

> Level-ports away after one sermon.

I like it.

The level ported priest waits at the stairs on the
next level down, with a stack of pamphlets a.k.a.
"scrolls of revealed truth", and offers you one if
you dare to #chat, always revealing his/her
affiliation in the response.

Reading one of these from a cross-aligned priest
should anger your god, regardless of BUC status.

Dropping one _un_read should be a luck hit.

>From a co-aligned priest, reading a cursed one of
these could decrease your intelligence. Reading an
uncursed one should have no effect except the
passing of time. Reading a blessed one from a
co-aligned wandering priest might get you some minor
meaningless favor from your deity, like "golden
pedicure".

Cursed ones should outnumber blessed ones two to one.

I especially like this YANI if the game detects you
quaffing unknown potions in a locked closet for
safety, but you find the door opened with a spell of
knock, and this cross-aligned insistent yahoo priest
standing there asking you if you want to accept
foo-god as your personal savior, who won't get
(his/her foot) out of the door until you accept
listening to a scripture lesson.

Mixed with a just quaffed potion of hallucination,
this could lead to endless YAFMC hilarity.

HTH

xanthian, there should be a grotesque alignment
penalty for killing a co-aligned one of these, but
you should hear "the whole dungeon breathes a sigh
of relief" if you kill a cross aligned one, and
get a nice alignment boost.

YANI-helper: Sleep affect is much longer and more
potentially lethal if you encounter these guys in
pairs.

[Being technically still married to a Mormon
wife, I'm not even going to _mention_ bicycles.]

Oops!

YANI: change the current "no gift" prayer responses
to be ones giving one of a selection of meaningless
gifts of the "golden pedicure" variety, having no
game effect, purely for dungeon dressing and to
confuse new players that little extra bit that
somethnig meaningful must have happened.

Anhur seems satisfied. You notice that your hair
is now neatly trimmed.

Tyr seems satisfied. Your shoes now feel more
comfortable.

Odin seems satisfied. Your gout hurts less.

The Lady seems satisfied. Your knapsack straps
don't cut into your shoulders so much.

Crom seems satisfied. Your breath is now minty
fresh.

usw

Haakon Studebaker <heptapod@gmail.com> writes:

> While wandering around DL14 I came across a peaceful, aligned priest who
> was wandering around as well! I thought it might've been a polytrap since
> there was a peaceful dwarf lord in another room but that dwarf lord is
> still in his original form.

Potion or wand of polymorph is also a possibility.

> Does something like this ever happen in Nethack?

Never saw it. In theory, it could maybe happen in a bones
file if you somehow could manage to get the priest out of
his/her sanctum, then die. But I don't know if the first task
is even possible, since priests in sanctums seem to have some
resitance against being moved out, like teleport resistance
and hole-avoidance in moving (well, maybe you could confuse
him with a potion hit or stun with MB, and hope he will fall
into some pre-dug holes).

Best,
Jakob

In article <apy8dn7cbv.fsf@fb04349.mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de>,
Jakob Creutzig <creutzig@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

> Haakon Studebaker <heptapod@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > While wandering around DL14 I came across a peaceful, aligned priest who
> > was wandering around as well! I thought it might've been a polytrap since
> > there was a peaceful dwarf lord in another room but that dwarf lord is
> > still in his original form.
>
> Potion or wand of polymorph is also a possibility.
>
> > Does something like this ever happen in Nethack?
>
> Never saw it. In theory, it could maybe happen in a bones
> file if you somehow could manage to get the priest out of
> his/her sanctum, then die. But I don't know if the first task
> is even possible, since priests in sanctums seem to have some
> resitance against being moved out, like teleport resistance
> and hole-avoidance in moving (well, maybe you could confuse
> him with a potion hit or stun with MB, and hope he will fall
> into some pre-dug holes).
>
> Best,
> Jakob

I encountered a somewhat similar situation. I detected a priest via
telepathy and headed for the temple. As I was approaching the
temple, the peaceful priest of Mars (id'ed via telepathy earlier)
passed by me. When I entered the temple, I found an altar to Venus
and the remains of the player who had converted to altar and then
succumbed to the Priest's fury.

Another possiblity is a doppleganger. Don't they sometimes
masquerade as priests?

Cheers,
Art

--
Art Willis
nhplayer@trantor.nospam.com Despam to reply

Jakob Creutzig <creutzig@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:
> Haakon Studebaker <heptapod@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > While wandering around DL14 I came across a peaceful, aligned priest who
> > was wandering around as well! I thought it might've been a polytrap since
> > there was a peaceful dwarf lord in another room but that dwarf lord is
> > still in his original form.
>
> Potion or wand of polymorph is also a possibility.

It isn't; aligned priests aren't polymorphable into.

> > Does something like this ever happen in Nethack?
>
> Never saw it. In theory, it could maybe happen in a bones
> file if you somehow could manage to get the priest out of
> his/her sanctum, then die. But I don't know if the first task
> is even possible, since priests in sanctums seem to have some
> resitance against being moved out, like teleport resistance
> and hole-avoidance in moving (well, maybe you could confuse
> him with a potion hit or stun with MB, and hope he will fall
> into some pre-dug holes).

Or just angering them and letting them chase you out. The priest will
be set peaceful when any bonesfile that's left is loaded.

: >LOOK UP CURRY IN GUIDEBOOK :
: 'CURRY: to consume silently and with regret.' :
: -- Dan Schmidt, "For a Change" :

Kent Paul Dolan wrote:

> The level ported priest waits at the stairs on the
> next level down, with a stack of pamphlets a.k.a.
> "scrolls of revealed truth", and offers you one if
> you dare to #chat, always revealing his/her
> affiliation in the response.
>
> Reading one of these from a cross-aligned priest
> should anger your god, regardless of BUC status.
>
> Dropping one _un_read should be a luck hit.

And dropping a cross-aligned one on an altar should be a lightning hit.

Art Willis <nhplayer@trantor.nospam.com> writes:
> > Haakon Studebaker <heptapod@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > While wandering around DL14 I came across a peaceful, aligned priest who
> > > was wandering around as well! [...]

> Another possiblity is a doppleganger. Don't they sometimes
> masquerade as priests?

Player-monster priests, not aligned priests; different type of
monster. (They'll be described as a "curate", "canon", etc, rather
than a "priest of Foo".)