Not open for further replies.

edmond419

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Hi All

I want to know, how many days straight can a laptop run with
- C2D P8400 2.26GHz CPU
- 4GB RAM

The laptop CPU is at constant 50 degrees on power saver, 61 while on high performance (the fan runs at level 45% speed, I did not set it myself)
While the hard drives, it has two. One is not being used at all, but for some reason stays at some 56 degrees, the other one, which is the slave drive that runs the Win7 OS, stays at 40 degrees.

It has once ran for 12 days straight. So how many days can it survive?

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I've been leaving my other laptop running for like five months straight now for server stuff, and no problems yet. Just check every month or so if the fans aren't dust-clogged or that sort of stuff, basic maintenance and it'll last for years. Even though a laptop isn't really designed to run for extended periods of time, it's a goddamn machine and should be able to.

It's a fairly well know fact that leaving electronics on 24/7 is easier on them than the usual repeated startup/shutdown cycles. And it's not too hard on the mechanical stuff (HDDs) to be worrisome as well.

The major problem would be power fluctuations or disturbances. This is true for any system, not just those running 24/7.
A good UPS can help extend the life of your systems by helping to minimize the danger there.

edmond419

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

I'd be safe here. I get an average of 0.5 lightning storms every year (meaning, once every two years )

But thank you

Well I have two hard drives, one with vista, other with 7. The computer is running Windows 7, and the drive with Vista on it gets some >45-55 degrees celcius high, even though Windows 7 doesn't have anything to load from there, but strangely, the drive with Windows 7 on it stays cool at 35

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS