Installing nethack on a Jornada 540 running WinCE 3.0

scythe

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

I downloaded the nethack-343-ce-ppc.exe file from
http://www.nethack.org/v343/ports/download-wince.html. I'm running
windows XP SP2 and I have my device in it's docking cradle, attached to
my PC via USB. ActiveSync (ugh) 3.5 works fine with it, I can copy files
to and fro and un/install other programs just fine. However when i run
the aforementioned nethack installer I get the welcome screen, with the
readme, then I get the EULA screen, then nothing. The installer just
shuts down, there's no traffic to my device, nothing is installed,
ActiveSync doesn't blink an eye.

Could someone explain where I'm going wrong? I'll try a newer version of
activesync and see if it improves.

Thanks in advance.

--Scythe--

ak

Scythe wrote:
> I downloaded the nethack-343-ce-ppc.exe file from
> http://www.nethack.org/v343/ports/download-wince.html. I'm running
> windows XP SP2 and I have my device in it's docking cradle, attached
> my PC via USB. ActiveSync (ugh) 3.5 works fine with it, I can copy
files
> to and fro and un/install other programs just fine. However when i
run
> the aforementioned nethack installer I get the welcome screen, with
the
> readme, then I get the EULA screen, then nothing. The installer just
> shuts down, there's no traffic to my device, nothing is installed,
> ActiveSync doesn't blink an eye.
>
> Could someone explain where I'm going wrong? I'll try a newer version
of
> activesync and see if it improves.

The setup stores CAB files under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
ActiveSync\NetHack" (or whatever location activesync is installed). You
can try copying CAB directly to the device and installing it from
there.

scythe

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

Scythe wrote:
> I downloaded the nethack-343-ce-ppc.exe file from
> http://www.nethack.org/v343/ports/download-wince.html. I'm running
> windows XP SP2 and I have my device in it's docking cradle, attached to
> my PC via USB. ActiveSync (ugh) 3.5 works fine with it, I can copy files
> to and fro and un/install other programs just fine. However when i run
> the aforementioned nethack installer I get the welcome screen, with the
> readme, then I get the EULA screen, then nothing. The installer just
> shuts down, there's no traffic to my device, nothing is installed,
> ActiveSync doesn't blink an eye.
>
> Could someone explain where I'm going wrong? I'll try a newer version of
> activesync and see if it improves.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --Scythe--

I've installed Activesync 3.7.1 to no avail.

Could anyone email me the games/nethack/ dir from thier own SH3 WinCE3.0
install? tjhowse at gmail.com

I'd be eternally grateful

--Scythe--