Closed Solved

Laptop for animation editing but not rendering, under $1500

Hi all. I'm getting into animation on the prosumer level and already have a desktop system that I'm comfortable with (which I built based on advice gotten here). I'm looking for a laptop to do work on when not at home, or even when at home but not locked away in my little room. It should be capable of real-time content creation and editing, but the rendering part can be done on my desktop. I have a Quadro FX1800 card on my desktop and I'm assuming that would render faster than the notebooks I can afford? Am I correct that for animation I would do better with a quad core i7-740QM @ 1.73GHz which can boost up to 2.93GHz than a dual core i5-460M @ 2.53GHz? Should I have more than 4GB ram? Thinking of either an ASUS G53JW with a Nvidia 460M or MSI GX660R with an ATI HD5870, but would certainly consider other suggestions. Sorry for so many questions but I thought I'd take advantage of some expert advice. Thanks, Don

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2/15/2011

BUDGET RANGE: $1200-$1500 / After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Animation content creation using Blender and Daz Studio, video/audio editing with Vegas Pro

WT: under 8 lbs

SCREEN SIZE: 15.6"

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: 4 USB

OVERCLOCKING: ONLY IF SELECTABLE WITH FRONT PANEL BUTTON

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1366 x 768 or 1920 x 1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Thanks for taking the time to reply to this post!
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about laptop animation editing rendering 1500
  1. Hello elseven;

What do you have in the way of a CPU/RAM to go with that Quadro FX1800?

Besides the i7-740QM @ 2.93GHz turbo for a single core the i5-460M will run @ 2.8GHz on a single core.
    i5 480M 2 @ 2.66Ghz and 1 @ 2.9GHz.

In your budget range there is no reason to settle for less than 1600x900 or even 1920x1080 resolution.
    ASUS G53JW 15.6" 1920x1080 w/ Nvidia 460M $1200 is the ticket I think.
  2. Asus G53JW reviews Really excellent review scores. Asus has a well deserved excellent reputation for its notebooks.
  3. I suppose a 3D screen version is a bit over the top? Review Asus G53JW 3D Gaming Notebook
  4. WR2 said:
    I suppose a 3D screen version is a bit over the top? Review Asus G53JW 3D Gaming Notebook

Thanks for the fast reply! For my desktop I have an i7-930 and 6GB ram. I agree with you, ASUS seems the better choice, just need to decide on which model. I've lusted after the G53JW 3D but it's more than I want to spend for just the novelty of the 3d since I don't want this solely for gaming - HOWEVER - since you brought it up - I also have a Benq 3D capable projector that I would probably want to experiment with. To add to the mix, Newegg also has the G73JW-A1 with 8GB ram, larger screen, same weight, 1TB disk space, and bluray drive for $1599 after rebate, which might be the better way to go, though just a bit over my budget. What do you think?
  5. Best answer
    Larger screen but same resolution. Do you need more than 500GB HDD?
    Im thinking ASUS G53JW-XN1 and upgrade the RAM yourself. G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 204-Pin SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 Dual Channel Kit Laptop RAM $43
    Im also thinking it would be cheaper to buy your own Blu-Ray drive if you need one.
  6. WR2 said:
    Larger screen but same resolution. Do you need more than 500GB HDD?
    Im thinking ASUS G53JW-XN1 and upgrade the RAM yourself. G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 204-Pin SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 Dual Channel Kit Laptop RAM $43
    Im also thinking it would be cheaper to buy your own Blu-Ray drive if you need one.

Thanks for the reality check. You're right, I don't need the blu-ray drive and I don't need the larger hard drive. The G53JW-XN1 was my original thought - that's the one I'm going with. Thanks for your help! Don
  7. You're welcome.
    Let us know how things turn out.
  8. Best answer selected by elseven.
  9. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

Desktops Laptops Product