Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Error 1503 Print Spooler

Last response: in Windows 7
January 16, 2013 2:34:25 AM

I just tried to print, only to find out the printing menu from MS word wasn't opening. I checked the print spooler service, and it's stopped. When I try to start it, I get the error 1503 message.

I've tried the following:
- Manually start it. Made sure the RPC service is running (yes it is)
- System restore to a date I believe it worked
- sfc /scannow (doesn't find anything)
- some other cmd command which had "= rpcss" in it
- Some said .NET update may do something, didn't

I saw something else about renaming .mui to .exe and the original spooler .exe to .bak. Tried that and the service just reported it couldn't find the files, so I reverted that.

I can't recall off the top of my head what the files names specifically are, but the two files that are the spooler (spoolersv.exe and spoolersv.exe.mui?) are within the correct directory in Windows. I really am at a lost, and classes started this week for me so I'm drained right now...so I'd really really appreciate some help :??: 

Don't know if its worth mentioning, but earlier this week after not using Hamachi for ...maybe a week (I'll explain below), its tunneling engine service would do the same thing (error 1503 out of nowhere), so I had to reinstall that and add something in its registry directory. Easier using that for Sven Coop and Synergy Coop :) 

I know for sure the printer worked last week. I haven't used it much since, but really need it now.
January 16, 2013 2:07:34 PM

10hellfire01 said:
I've tried the following:
- Manually start it. Made sure the RPC service is running (yes it is)
- System restore to a date I believe it worked
- sfc /scannow (doesn't find anything)
- some other cmd command which had "= rpcss" in it
- Some said .NET update may do something, didn't

phil22 said:
Run the System File Checker as the required files may be corrupt:

See this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

I already did that. It finds nothing to fix unfortunately.

Score
Related resources
January 16, 2013 2:31:39 PM

Running sfc in safe mode didn't yield anything either, figured that.

What's weird is, I ran chkdsk (Auto fix file system errors), it found nothing, but the spooler works fine now. I was weary about doing Chkdsk at all with an SSD, but reading on it for that portion eased me.

Thanks for the help though :) 
Score
January 18, 2013 8:02:27 PM

Fixed it. Chkdsk actually did nothing. Before I ran it I disabled the Kaspersky service, which caused them to come back into "started" order.

I had formatted, saw it fixed the issue. Well it didn't. When I either installed Kaspersky AV 2013 or Hamachi, the issue would resume until I uninstalled the one that caused it at the time of install. It could be any program for anyone virtually.

Then I found:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

Quote:
Gwen_2012:

Fixing this issue is very simple. Here was what I've done to start the Print Spooler:

1. Click Start, type “services.msc” and hit Enter.
2. Scroll down to Print spooler.
3. Right-click Print spooler, then select Properties.
4. Select the Log On tab, and uncheck the Allow service to interact with desktop setting.
(Microsoft recommends that you do not change the Allow service to interact with desktop setting. If you allow the service to interact with the desktop, any information that the service displays on the desktop will also be displayed on an interactive user's desktop. A malicious user could then take control of the service or attack it from the interactive desktop).

5. Once you have uncheck this setting, select the General tab and click "Start" (the Print Spooler should be able to start without popping up the Error 1053 again).

Hope this helps!

What actually causes this? Not sure. Many claim it was a .NET 4 update in November (2012?).
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2013 1:08:49 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
Score
!