Palm Zire 72 Serious problems

February 14, 2005 5:38:17 PM

Hello, I've read that several people have had problems with this thing
not charging, crashing, etc. Well, my new (less than 3 mon) Zire 72
will not charge. When I called the center (not an 800 number) you get
the run-around. You get to wait a long time and the service they offer
is minimal. Corporate Service will not connect you with anyone above
the answering person. There seems to be a serious lack of
accountability. My advice-- Avoid Palm Products like the plague. They
are not worth the hassle, very expensive and unreliable.

More about : palm zire problems

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 2:38:20 AM

In article <1108420697.816779.76180@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"Freddie Flea" <gomesanne@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I've read that several people have had problems with this thing
> not charging, crashing, etc. Well, my new (less than 3 mon) Zire 72
> will not charge. When I called the center (not an 800 number) you get
> the run-around. You get to wait a long time and the service they offer
> is minimal. Corporate Service will not connect you with anyone above
> the answering person. There seems to be a serious lack of
> accountability. My advice-- Avoid Palm Products like the plague. They
> are not worth the hassle, very expensive and unreliable.

How many Zire 72s have sold? And you base your advice on one instance.

Sounds to me your device is still under warranty and you should be able to
exchange it.

From where did you buy it? Who's "the center"?
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 7:38:25 PM

I bought it from Palm One. Don't bother. I have spent over 2 hours on
the phone just this afternoon trying to get this solved. The
"replacement", actually, reconditioned was sent to a wrong address
(even they did not know where they got it).
Look on any of the review sites. This seems to be a common problem.
"the center" is Palm One!
February 22, 2005 8:57:48 PM

"Freddie Flea" <gomesanne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, John, I take it you work for Palm.

I don't. But I do own a Z72 and I've owned a palm since the US Robotics
days and am quite familiar with a number of their glitches.

> I have read complaints about
> battery problems on Amazon, cnet and a few other places.

Links?

<snip>

> I wasted 2 HOURS with customer service this afternoon and they cannot
> help with anything. They seem to have no intention of helping and no
> intention of satisfying the customer.

I've had no problems the few times I've needed customer support over the
years. Perhaps it's your expectations that are too high?

> By the way, you certainly jump to conclusions quickly.

You make claims that are counter to my experiences with both palm and the
Z72. Palm would RMA the device for you if it was broken and under warranty.

> I stand behind my other comment: A very expensive toy that probably
> will not work;

The Z72 works fine for me. And the price vs. features was very competative
with other models of PDAs out there.

> a company that has no intention of keeping a customer;

Palm's customer service has suffered over the years, but if your palm will
not work after following both their online troubleshooting procedures and
their tech directed troubleshooting procedures, they would have RMAd your
device.

> will continue to complain and to write to whomever will listen.

Bully for you.

> I will
> probably contact the Ga Dept of Consumer Affairs. There may be a case
> there.

They'll take your complaint and request a followup with palm. Palm may call
you back and try and work things out within the framework of your warranty.
They'll file a report back to the state.

> You could actually have been helpful instead of such a smart alek!
> Thank you, Anne Gomes

I tried to be. I tried to get more specific information, express dismay at
such generalized complaints as to be completely unhelpful in allowing
anyone to suggest solutions to your problems, and ask if you followed the
various procedures on PalmOne's site regarding troubleshooting.

I've had a Z72 since about a day or two after their release. I've had the
following problems:

Paint peeling. Annoying, but livable.

Periodic unrecoverable crashs requiring a hard-reset (loss of all data). --
which I traced to a 3rd party app -- an old Yatzee game I've had for ages.
It was corrupting the Saved_Preferences db. Hardly palms fault. Since I
removed the app, I haven't had this problem.

Palm not charging. Palm's website on this issue suggested an "in cradle"
reset. Great. The Z72 doesnt have a cradle, but by actually READING the
procedure and cause, it's the charging circuit that is getting messed up and
a RESET while the palm is charging -- either with the wall charger of the
USB charger fixed this problem. I've noticed that this problem appears when
I am running certain apps (RealOne or Audible) until it shuts itself off
with low-power. But that's easily fixed now with a soft-reset while
charging...
October 25, 2012 5:52:04 AM

Quote:

Hello, I've read that several people have had problems with this thing
not charging, crashing, etc. Well, my new (less than 3 mon) Zire 72
will not charge. When I called the center (not an 800 number) you get
the run-around. You get to wait a long time and the service they offer
is minimal. Corporate Service will not connect you with anyone above
the answering person. There seems to be a serious lack of
accountability. My advice-- Avoid Palm Products like the plague. They
are not worth the hassle, very expensive and unreliable.

October 25, 2012 5:54:43 AM

Quote:

!