Sign in with
Your question

Looking for Glossy Screen Monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 27, 2012 8:56:41 PM

Hey friends,

I've been doing research on finding a nice glossy screen monitor, though many people have asked for slightly different specification requirements. I figured I'd post mine and see if there are any suggestions! I currently have as nice samsung monitor, however it has a matte finish and I really, REALLY notice the difference.

Here are the specs I want (roughly):

1) Glossy screen
1b) LED Backlight
2) 21.5'' - 24'' (Though, a 21.5'' would be ideal).
3) A latency before 5 ms would be ideal
4) Resolution of 1920x1080.
5) Price: 200ish (ideally no more than 250)

An example: I found the HP x2301 http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products.... And it looks solid, though I dunno yet.

Anyone have any suggestions? I really want to stay $250 or below if possible. If there is something amazing that is just out of that price range though, I would consider it.

Thanks for your help!

More about : glossy screen monitor

a c 128 C Monitor
October 27, 2012 9:26:31 PM

What model of Samsung do you have? Most Samsung's I've seen are glossy.
m
l
October 27, 2012 9:43:07 PM

syncmaster 2233SW. is it not glossy. how dare you doubt my sense of sight!! =P

EDIT: here's a cnet review if you were curious: http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/samsung-syncmaster...

EDIT2: though interestingly, my monitor does not have the "SW" on it. and it remains a mystery to me why not. the monitor digital menu is also different, but that's a different story~
m
l
Related resources
a c 128 C Monitor
October 27, 2012 9:57:32 PM

I didn't mean to doubt you. I was simply letting you know that you can look for another model that is glossy. I just wish that the finish was something shown more often on the spec's listings on the websites.
m
l
October 28, 2012 12:02:18 AM

bystander said:
I didn't mean to doubt you. I was simply letting you know that you can look for another model that is glossy. I just wish that the finish was something shown more often on the spec's listings on the websites.

heh, no problem. yeah, seriously though, I feel like often times companies post "glossy" referring to the bezel but are just vague enough to try to catch some unwary shoppers
m
l
December 5, 2012 11:20:27 AM

I'd like to add my iron to the fire as this is one of my pet grievances as a computer business trying to sell these things to people...

Why DON'T the manufacturers and suppliers make this information available? I mean, they show the resolution and the speed and (usually) whether or not it has speakers and maybe a USB hub. But do they tell you about whether it is a matte or glossy screen? NO! But they do, confusingly, often call them "glossy" somewhere in the documentation or marketing codswhallop, referring only to the frame/surround/bezel.

Could Tom's Hardware please provide us with a list and add this very important detail to the specs in reviews?

And for the person asking; Yes the HP x2301 is a great monitor. We use HP glossy monitors in our office but have none of these ourselves yet although I have seen them in the field. They look lovely and give a clear bright image as you would expect. My personal reference though is for 1920 x 1200 resolution because you get a chunk more on your screen than at 1920 x 1080. Why do almost all the manufacturers only support a 1080 vertical pixel height these days? Not everyone want to watch only HD movies all day. Many of us actually want to do some work or perhaps play computer games where the extra detail is needed.

Here in our office we have all glossy monitors from the HP 2207, 2448hc and 2558hc and my own is a 27 inch Samsung LS27A950D which is amazing. (Well my 2558hc is also amazing actually and I'm always on he lookout for more). Our older 3:4 monitors are all 19 inch Sony HS95P/R which have been incredibly reliable.

I don't think any of us could go back to fuzzy matte monitors now. Even the high end ones irritate me these days!

Viewsonic also do a glossy screen although most of theirs are matte in my experience. I forget the model number I'm afraid.

m
l
!