Sign in with
Your question

EVEN THE INQ AGREES WITH ME!!!

Last response: in CPUs
April 24, 2001 7:14:16 AM

check out the article on the Inquirer, the P4 still rocks!

<b>Rock on baby, Rock on!!!</b>

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/24040101.htm" target="_new">What ever you do, don't wake up a sleeping giant!!!</A>

I guess the days are over when someone like lakedude mentions his purchase of a P4 and is met with rude remarks by a bunch of Amd pups like if this was the amdzone.com, it's not folks, it's not anymore.

soon there will be more posts on how to tweak and o'c the P4 and not "oops I've fried my tbird, what now" or my "via mobo is not working" that I see in everyother post.

"AMD...you are the weakest link, good bye!"

More about : inq agrees

April 24, 2001 7:28:49 AM

Hey man, I just got the superior P4-1.7!! Only cost me $825 bucks!!!!! WOOHOO!!! I can't wait until they cut the cost down to $350 so that I can buy another!!!

Seriously though, when are games and programs going to be widespread optimized? If it's going to take any longer, then I don't understand why we are even talking about the P4. We all know it will be a good processor one day, but which day is that?

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dhlucke on 04/24/01 00:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2001 10:51:29 AM

I had no idea that you liked AMD CPU's so much......the current P4 is not V.Good hopefully the Northwood will change this , but all the same I hope the Palamino keeps up with it cos the competition is good for the consumer as I don't own or intend to own stocks in either company I just hope the price war keeps on going....

if at first you don't succeed , destroy all evidence that you ever tried...
Related resources
April 24, 2001 12:07:17 PM

It's a good thing that AMDMeltDown is not in a position of influence (such as government) as he is too easily taken in by marketing propaganda.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2001 1:10:32 PM

It is obvious that you did not bother to read the link you provided. LOL.
April 24, 2001 1:40:27 PM

Give me a break amdmeltdown, the inquirer? What a joke. At 1.7 ghz the P4 should be kicking the P3s and the Athlons ass. But its not. Why isnt it?

Lets imagine something for a second. Lets pretend that the P4 actually was a faster processor than the high-end Athlons, and they even cost the same. Being the moral person I am I still would not patronize Intel's products because of their support for Rambus. I'm not talking about the memory itself but rather the company. Do you not realize that this company patented an open memory standard and is now sueing other companies who helped develop the technology? They have even been accused of 'judge shopping' to help they're court cases. How can you miss this? I'm not sure about you but I have standards to live up to.
April 24, 2001 4:12:20 PM

I don't give a flying f on how a company does it's business, just like a lot of ppl don't care how cattle has been treated before slaughtered and then made into steak.

do you care how Tobacco Companies make their bottom line? well neither do I(I don't smoke) do you care how you got your fancy sneakers? how did nike or whatever major brand did to produce it? how your retailer marks it up?

so who cares that you think you're a moral person? not I.

jumping on the bandwagon masked as a crusade against a company doesn't not make you a moral person.

April 24, 2001 4:25:48 PM

Well thats too bad, because alot of people do. I do care what companies do behind the scenes, especially if what they do ends up hurting us, the consumers. Your reply shows your childishness.
April 24, 2001 6:48:29 PM

I'm indifferent to the actions of companies. I buy the best technology. In this way I reward the best engineering departments. I don't associate the produced technology with the legal and marketting departments of said companies. Just buy the best and the best will prosper. That's what we all want.

-Raystonn

-- The center of your digital world --
April 24, 2001 7:57:23 PM

Stop being so greedy, you bastard. Intel has been the topic of choice for the last 10+ years, and AMD has finally shown up within the last 2 or so years.

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:
April 24, 2001 8:55:34 PM

Very good reply and I generally agree with that theory as well. But what if company A, using illegal manuevers, puts company B out of business even though company B has a better product and has done nothing wrong?
April 24, 2001 9:01:23 PM

If they have done something illegal, the law will deal with them. They will be punished accordingly. The law doesn't need my help to dish out vigilante justice. The courts do a fine job of keeping them in line. I'll just keep buying whatever technology is best.

-Raystonn

April 24, 2001 9:06:44 PM

True but you have to take the case at hand. Rambus may not have done anything illegally wrong by the books, but don't you agree that it is immoral of them to be doing what they are? Please don't tell me about they are just protecting they're technologies because it was not theirs to begin with.
April 24, 2001 9:13:50 PM

"But what if company A, using illegal manuevers, puts company B out of business even though company B has a better product and has done nothing wrong?"

It's called business. If through imaginative marketing, advertising and business alliances, a company with an inferior product can take so much marketshare as to drive the other company out, so be it.

There are no morals in business. There are always the "secret" deals and alliances between companies that are designed to break other companies, in a seemingly legal manner.

I think things will get interesting with VIA, AMD, and Intel. With the VIA C3 processor being socket 370 compatible, it is to VIA's advantage to create more Intel MB chipsets to help push the C3. A shortage of VIA chipsets for the Duron would certainly help the sales of the C3 (and the Celeron, or whatever will be the Intel low end processor).

AMD may become a chipset supplier by circumstance, if not by choice.

Unfair? Immoral? Such is business. Unfortunetely, the survivor does not always have the best product.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
April 24, 2001 9:17:29 PM

well, then you must be a vegan a saint and a fool! if you believe in that!

hey worst things can happen in your life, but remember this: you've saved a bundle :-) cheers!

April 24, 2001 9:24:30 PM

I know business is always full of behind-the-scenes actions that a company may or may not want the public to know about. But this has nothing to do with good ole marketing. It has to do with the fact that Rambus patented an open memory standard that they had a part in devoping, but so did alot of other memory companies who they are now sueing. In this case I can only hope that public pressure on Intel will persuade them into re-evaluating they're committment to Rambus.
April 24, 2001 9:26:58 PM

I should just ignore this but......

Grow Up!
April 24, 2001 9:40:12 PM

"True but you have to take the case at hand. Rambus may not have done anything illegally wrong by the books, but don't you agree that it is immoral of them to be doing what they are? Please don't tell me about they are just protecting they're technologies because it was not theirs to begin with."

If it is found they did nothing illegal, then they did nothing immoral. Everybody knows the laws by which everyone is governed. Everyone starts on the same playing field. Everyone is aware of all the rules and can fully take advantage of these rules to push their bottom line forward. And all companies do this. Some companies are better at paying attention to details than others.

If it is found that Rambus did something illegal, then they were not playing on a level field by the same rules as everybody else. This would be immoral. Then should then be punished in some way by the courts, probably by fines and paying competitors' legal fees.

I will still, however, continue to purchase the best technology, regardless of who makes it. The courts don't need my help punishing law breakers, they do a great job themselves. And I continue to want the best technology.

-Raystonn

April 24, 2001 9:50:00 PM

Just because you have not done anything illegal does not mean you have not done anything immoral. Again I point out that Rambus was caught judge-shopping to help their case. How is this not wrong? Let the better technology win out, but I don't see the reasoning in defending Rambus.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2001 9:57:57 PM

Um reminder the world is not fair or moral. AMD is overly agressive in their sales of their products if that isnt antitrust i dont know what is, Intel bullies OEM's thats antitrust as well. Basically if you think they immoral you simply are whineing because thats what losers and what loser companies do they whine and pout. Hate to tell you but welcome to capitalism baby, dog eat dog world get used to it. Stop whineing about matters that have no bearing on your life or that you can possibly understand the true scope of the situation.

SPUDMUFFIN

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:
April 24, 2001 10:09:41 PM

"AMD is overly agressive in their sales of their products if that isnt antitrust i dont know what is"

Wha??

Could you explain a little? Sounds your saying AMD shouldnt be allowed to sell they're cpu's at competitive prices.

Great another person to tell me welcome to the real world. Thanks for the greeting but I have already been here for some time :) . There are some things you can change. If enough pressure is put on a company such as Intel they have been known to change. Intel has already admitted their partnership with Rambus was a mistake. Let me know if you need a link ;) 
April 24, 2001 10:13:59 PM

"Let me know if you need a link"

You'd best provide a link.

-Raystonn

April 24, 2001 10:31:20 PM

No Problem.

http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20001018S0009
http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/q22000/chi20001018002...
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,32662,00.asp

Here is the quote itself:

"We made a big bet on Rambus and it did not work out. In retrospect, it was a mistake to be dependent on a third party for a technology that gates your performance...We hoped we were partners with a company that would concentrate on technology innovation rather than seeking to collect a toll from other companies." -Craig Barrett, Intel CEO

But you didn't really need the links did you? Selective Ammnesia?
April 24, 2001 11:41:07 PM

That's a negative comment on Rambus as a company. Their memory technology is still the best on the market. Intel is still going with RDRAM for mainstream and performance price points, but will also make available SDRAM/DDR P4 motherboards for the budget price point.

-Raystonn

April 24, 2001 11:56:46 PM

"That's a negative comment on Rambus as a company"

Thankyou for finally realizing this. What did you think I was talking about all this time? This is the reason I do not support Rambus and therefore, Intel. Intel does not enjoy Rambus's lawsuit spree because it is wrong and it makes Rambus, and in turn Intel, look bad. Frankly you are not being very clear as to what you do and do not support. Do you like Rambus as a company despite the quote from Craig or do you just like they're products? The reason I do not support Rambus's products is because of the company itself.
April 25, 2001 12:02:49 AM

"Do you like Rambus as a company despite the quote from Craig or do you just like they're products?"

The technological capabilities of the products that come from their engineering department in no way has anything to do with whatever their legal and marketing departments are doing. You're similar to those who get caught up in the PR from marketing departments, except on the opposite side. Neither has anything to do with whose products are best.

RDRAM (which happens to be DDR, not many know this) is technologically superior to SDRAM (both SDR and DDR.) You can dislike the company all you like but it doesn't change the technology being offered by their superior engineers. If they've done something illegal, then let the courts punish them. If they haven't, then I have no problem with them. Either way, I'll still buy RDRAM due to its superior electrical characteristics.

-Raystonn

Related resources
!