Archetypal Evil Monsters for Classes

I want to represent each class with an evil monster that best fits it.
I've got some possibilies already, but looking to fill out the list and
get alternatives. I also don't want an evil race or monster in more
than one place. Possibly also with a higher base representation
alternative as well

Barbarian: Orc, (Maybe Minotaur for the higher level version)

Bard: Harpy

Cleric: Drow

Druid: Lizardfolk

Fighter: Hobgoblin

Monk: ?

Ranger: Yuan-Ti?

Rogue: Wererat (Maybe goblin, or kobold)

Sorcerer: Kobold

Wizard: Lich (a little high and unspecific for a race), Ogre Mage?
(still a bit high, more sorcer anyway but I still think wizard when I
think Ogre Magi)

- Justisaur
20 answers Last reply
More about archetypal evil monsters classes

    It would be hard to narrow it down to one monster type per class without
    further criteria. One useful one would be LA. If you want monsters
    with no LA, I would go with the following:

    Barbarian: Orc, naturally
    Fighter: Hobgoblin
    Paladin: ???
    Ranger: ???
    Rogue: Goblin
    Monk: Mongrelman (cultural flavor -- they are ascetic)
    Bard: ???
    Druid: ???
    Cleric: ???
    Sorcerer: Kobold (for cultural flavor only, no real numbers advantage)
    Wizard: ???

    If you were to bump up the LA to +3 as a possibility, I'd go with the
    following:

    Barbarian: Orc
    Fighter: Hobgoblin
    Paladin: Aasimar
    Ranger: Gnoll
    Rogue: Tiefling
    Monk: Githzerai
    Bard: Mongrelman (for you Tom Waits fans out there)
    Druid: ???
    Cleric: ???
    Sorcerer: Kobold (for cultural flavor only, no real numbers advantage)
    Wizard: ???

    I think clerics and druids work for almost any race with a culture.

    Honestly, why are you making this list?

    - Ron ^*^

    Werebat wrote:
    > It would be hard to narrow it down to one monster type per class
    without
    > further criteria. One useful one would be LA. If you want monsters
    > with no LA, I would go with the following:
    >
    > Barbarian: Orc, naturally
    > Fighter: Hobgoblin
    > Paladin: ???
    > Ranger: ???
    > Rogue: Goblin
    > Monk: Mongrelman (cultural flavor -- they are ascetic)
    > Bard: ???
    > Druid: ???
    > Cleric: ???
    > Sorcerer: Kobold (for cultural flavor only, no real numbers
    advantage)
    > Wizard: ???
    >

    > If you were to bump up the LA to +3 as a possibility, I'd go with the

    > following:
    >
    > Barbarian: Orc
    > Fighter: Hobgoblin

    The other possibility I was thinking here was Duergar...

    > Paladin: Aasimar

    I was looking for evil so I left out paladin...

    > Ranger: Gnoll

    Forgot about the Gnoll, one of my favorites.

    > Rogue: Tiefling
    > Monk: Githzerai
    > Bard: Mongrelman (for you Tom Waits fans out there)
    > Druid: ???
    > Cleric: ???
    > Sorcerer: Kobold (for cultural flavor only, no real numbers
    advantage)
    > Wizard: ???

    Wizard seems to be the one I just can't come up with anything for at
    the moment.

    > I think clerics and druids work for almost any race with a culture.
    >
    > Honestly, why are you making this list?

    Playing around with NWN, was thinking of making up one monster for each
    CR of the apropriate class advancing from around 1 to 20 or so.

    - Justisaur

    Justisaur wrote:

    > Archetypal Evil Monsters for Classes
    >
    > Monk: ?

    Since most Monks are human, this may be difficult to find one for.

    Alternatively, cobra (think martial arts styles?). I know, it's a
    stretch... Yuan-Ti might fit better, but they're Chaotic.

    > Ranger: Yuan-Ti?

    Gnoll.

    > Wizard: Lich (a little high and unspecific for a race), Ogre Mage?
    > (still a bit high, more sorcer anyway but I still think wizard when I
    > think Ogre Magi)

    Human. :D Hey, they're an evil monster.

    --
    Nik
    - remove vermin from email address to reply.

    Justisaur wrote:

    > Wizard seems to be the one I just can't come up with anything for at
    > the moment.

    Go with goblin rogue and tiefling wizard, then.

    - Ron ^*^

    Justisaur wrote:
    > Archetypal Evil Monsters for Classes

    Fighter: Derro, Duergar, *Hobgoblin*, Troll.
    Barbarian: Ettin, Hill/Stone Giant, Grimlock, Minotaur, *Ogre*, Orc.
    Ranger: *Gnoll*, Sahaugin.

    Monk: None, but *Bugbear*, Duergar, or Hobgoblin should work.

    Rogue: Bugbear, Doppelganger, Goblin, Svirfneblin, *Wererat*, Tiefling.
    Bard: *Gnome Vampire*.

    Sorcerer: *Kobold*, Ogre Mage, Rakshasa.
    Wizard: *Drow*, Drider, Human Lich.

    Cleric: Drow, Sahaugin, *Troglodyte*.
    Druid: None, but Lizardfolk, Nymph, or *Human* should work.

    --
    tussock

    Aspie at work, sorry in advance.

    Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in

    > Barbarian: Orc, naturally
    > Fighter: Hobgoblin
    > Paladin: ???

    Flumph!

    "Justisaur" <justisaur@netscape.net> wrote in news:1109425500.262201.303610
    @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > Archetypal Evil Monsters for Classes
    > Monk: ?

    I thought the archtypal monster monks were kuo-toa

    On 26 Feb 2005 06:01:00 -0800, "Justisaur" <justisaur@netscape.net>
    wrote:

    >Archetypal Evil Monsters for Classes
    >
    >I want to represent each class with an evil monster that best fits it.
    >I've got some possibilies already, but looking to fill out the list and
    >get alternatives. I also don't want an evil race or monster in more
    >than one place. Possibly also with a higher base representation
    >alternative as well
    <snip>

    >Monk: ?

    How about a rakshasa?

    Stephen Posey
    slposey@concentric.net

    Justisaur wrote:
    > So here's what I'm thinking now:
    <snip>
    > Cleric: Drow (although tussock mentioned troglodytes, which is an
    > interesting choice, have to look into them.)

    I'm just so bored of Lolth and her whiny bitches. The pustulent
    devourer that is Laogzed is just so mindless and destructive in
    comparison. If it's in the way; eat it.
    Hmm, Bullywugs worship him too, there's another option.

    > So it looks like I mostly need a good choice for bards (besides
    > vampiric gnomes - which is really weird).

    Yes. Yes it is. 8]

    --

    tussock wrote:
    > Justisaur wrote:
    > >
    > > Cleric: Drow (although tussock mentioned troglodytes, which
    > > is an interesting choice, have to look into them.)
    >
    > I'm just so bored of Lolth and her whiny bitches. The
    > pustulent devourer that is Laogzed is just so mindless and
    > destructive in comparison. If it's in the way; eat it.
    > Hmm, Bullywugs worship him too, there's another option.

    I thought bullywugs worshiped Wastri (though that may be
    Oerth-specific).

    --

    On 26 Feb 2005 15:34:12 -0800, "Justisaur" <justisaur@netscape.net>
    wrote:

    >Werebat wrote:
    >> It would be hard to narrow it down to one monster type per class
    >without
    >> further criteria. One useful one would be LA. If you want monsters
    >> with no LA, I would go with the following:
    >>
    >> Barbarian: Orc, naturally
    >> Fighter: Hobgoblin
    >> Paladin: ???
    >> Ranger: ???
    >> Rogue: Goblin
    >> Monk: Mongrelman (cultural flavor -- they are ascetic)
    >> Bard: ???
    >> Druid: ???
    >> Cleric: ???
    >> Sorcerer: Kobold (for cultural flavor only, no real numbers
    >advantage)
    >> Wizard: ???
    >>

    >> If you were to bump up the LA to +3 as a possibility, I'd go with the
    >
    >> following:
    >>
    >> Barbarian: Orc
    >> Fighter: Hobgoblin
    >
    >The other possibility I was thinking here was Duergar...
    >
    >> Paladin: Aasimar
    >
    >I was looking for evil so I left out paladin...

    Wasn't the evil counterpart to the Paladin the "Deathknight"? Do they
    still have those?

    David Johnston wrote:

    > On 26 Feb 2005 15:34:12 -0800, "Justisaur" <justisaur@netscape.net>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >>I was looking for evil so I left out paladin...
    >>

    > Wasn't the evil counterpart to the Paladin the "Deathknight"? Do they
    > still have those?
    I think death knights are specific to DragonLance. (Erm, and Ravenloft.)

    -Will

    Will Green wrote:
    > David Johnston wrote:
    > > Justisaur wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I was looking for evil so I left out paladin...
    > >
    > > Wasn't the evil counterpart to the Paladin the
    > > "Deathknight"? Do they still have those?
    >
    > I think death knights are specific to DragonLance.
    > (Erm, and Ravenloft.)

    Death Knights are undead, and don't fit as an evil counterpart to the
    paladin. Common counterparts are blackguard (since the paladin should
    be a PrC anyway), anti-paladin (for a CE version) and 'tyrant' or my
    personal preference for name, 'illrigger' (for an LE version).

    Dragon #31X (311-312 sounds familiar, but I could be wrong) had evil
    variants, but I prefer using paladin as a prestige class (as Unearthed
    Arcana), then making PrC versions of the other types of paladins
    listed in UA (paladin of freedom = "liberator"; paladin of slaughter =
    "anti-paladin"; paladin of tyranny = "illrigger").

    --

    Keith Davies wrote:
    > Nikolas Landauer wrote:
    > >
    > > Death Knights are undead, and don't fit as an evil
    > > counterpart to the paladin. Common counterparts
    > > are blackguard (since the paladin should be a PrC
    > > anyway), anti-paladin (for a CE version) and
    > > 'tyrant' or my personal preference for name,
    > > 'illrigger' (for an LE version).
    > >
    > > Dragon #31X (311-312 sounds familiar, but I could
    > > be wrong) had evil variants,
    >
    > from an old Dragon magazine article, _A Plethora
    > of Paladins_, IIRC.

    No, this is recent; just post-3.5, in fact. It was one of their three
    issue "conversion specials" (the third). They already had paladin
    variants for all non-LG, non-evil alignments in the first of the
    series. Those issues are: #310 for non-evil, non-LG paladin types,
    and #312 for evil variants, so I was pretty close.

    --
    Nik
    - remove vermin from email address to reply.

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 06:29:17 GMT, Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org>
    scribed into the ether:

    >Nikolas Landauer <dacileva.flea@hotmail.com.tick> wrote:
    >> Keith Davies wrote:

    >> No, this is recent; just post-3.5, in fact. It was one of their three
    >> issue "conversion specials" (the third). They already had paladin
    >> variants for all non-LG, non-evil alignments in the first of the
    >> series. Those issues are: #310 for non-evil, non-LG paladin types,
    >> and #312 for evil variants, so I was pretty close.
    >
    >They took the name from the old Dragon article, then.
    >
    >Ah, Dragon 106.
    >
    >NG Myrikhan
    >CG Garath
    >LN Lyan
    >N Paramander

    There is also the nihilist version of the Paramander, with a slightly
    different spelling that I can't offhand recall. I've got the copy of Dragon
    laying around somewhere that has the full article. The CG Paladin is a
    wuss.

    Will Green wrote:

    > David Johnston wrote:
    >
    >> On 26 Feb 2005 15:34:12 -0800, "Justisaur" <justisaur@netscape.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I was looking for evil so I left out paladin...
    >>>

    >> Wasn't the evil counterpart to the Paladin the "Deathknight"? Do they
    >> still have those?
    >
    > I think death knights are specific to DragonLance. (Erm, and Ravenloft.)

    Greyhawk has some.

    Ophidian wrote:
    > Will Green wrote:
    >
    >> I think death knights are specific to DragonLance. (Erm, and
    >> Ravenloft.)
    >
    > Greyhawk has some.

    Indeed, Lord Soth was not the first death knight. He was the first death knight
    with character, though.

    --
    Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
    What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

    Quo usque tandem abutere, Vepre, patientia nostra?

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:29:29 GMT, "Christopher Adams"
    <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> gibbered into the void:

    >Ophidian wrote:
    >> Will Green wrote:
    >>
    >>> I think death knights are specific to DragonLance. (Erm, and
    >>> Ravenloft.)
    >>
    >> Greyhawk has some.
    >
    >Indeed, Lord Soth was not the first death knight. He was the first death knight
    >with character, though.

    IIRC, the Fiend Folio (1E) stated they were created by Demogorgon.
    Though I could be confusing that with the Eye of Fear and Flame. Or
    maybe it was the Retriever.

    Too lazy to drag the book out of the storage bin, sorry.

    "Dan" <Boone@Daniel.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:29:29 GMT, "Christopher Adams"
    > <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> gibbered into the void:

    >>> Greyhawk has some.
    >>
    >>Indeed, Lord Soth was not the first death knight. He was the first death
    >>knight
    >>with character, though.
    >

    > IIRC, the Fiend Folio (1E) stated they were created by Demogorgon.

    That is correct.

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:51:55 -0800, "Malachias Invictus"
    <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> gibbered into the void:

    >"Dan" <Boone@Daniel.com> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:29:29 GMT, "Christopher Adams"
    >> <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> gibbered into the void:

    >>>Indeed, Lord Soth was not the first death knight. He was the first death
    >>>knight
    >>>with character, though.
    >>

    >> IIRC, the Fiend Folio (1E) stated they were created by Demogorgon.
    >
    >That is correct.

    Cool. I ought to not read stuff for 10 years at a time more often.

Games Monster Video Games