Laptop GPU Temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

McPhisto

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I'm in the process of doing a couple of laptop motherboard replacements for friends. Both laptop's original motherboards failed due to the overheating problem with Nvidia graphics chips.

What I'd like to know is, what would be considered a good running temperature for these graphic chips?

I have added a copper shim and good quality thermal compound and monitor temps with Everest, to the laptop I'm working on at the moment, and currently get around 35°C idle.

That's a good temp at idle. What are you seeing at load? Usually for a laptop GPU I like to see temps that do not go over 65C or so at load. So if it is staying under that, I'd say you're in good shape.

McPhisto

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Thanks for the reply and sorry I've haven't replied back sooner. The laptop refused to boot the next time I went to use it, so was unable to get any further readings.

As it seems to be working again, I ran Everest again and took readings with the laptop running idle and under load. To give it something to make it work a little, I ran Pazera Mp4 to avi, to convert a 30 minute 832x468 Mp4 to a 640x360 avi, with 2 pass encoding. Temperatures are as follows..

temp.... idle/load

CPU..... 28/57
CPU1... 21/54
CPU2... 34/60
MCP..... 35/57
GPU..... 34/55

+/- 1°C

McPhisto

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I've just finished putting all the screws back in and it and it now seems to running well. The only thing I can think of that might have caused the problem is that the video cable from the screen was slightly out of position and was being pinched by the power button strip piece of plastic that's above the keyboard. Could this have caused it not to boot up?

It very well could have. Depending on the components used/manufacturer, it could have definitely prevented it from booting up if the BIOS/start up checks weren't registering everything as running correctly. Glad you got it working though.

Status
Not open for further replies.