Sign in with
Your question

CPU Temp

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 25, 2001 12:36:01 AM

Can someone please tell me an acceptable temp range for my AMD 1100? Also, the temp a cpu usually fries at? It's running at 55 C right now according to Asusprobe. Stats below and thanks.
Jack

Amd 1100
Asus A7v
IBM Deskstar
384 MB RAM
Kenwood 72x
Plextor 16/10/40
SB Live Plat 5.1

More about : cpu temp

April 25, 2001 1:27:54 AM

First things first...try using <A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/" target="_new">Motherboard Monitor</A>. Trust me, you'll love it better than Asus Probe. It took me awhile to get the settings just the way I wanted it, but I love it way better because it can tell you more by setting it to display in the system tray without having to leave a window open.

I'm running a T-Bird 850 overclocked to 933 (133x7), with the vCore set to 1.75v. Surprisingly enough, it's stable - I thought I'd have to get it up to 1.8v. Plus, that's the default core temp. My HSF is a Swiftech MC370-0A with the original Papst fan on it, plus I've got 2x80mm Sunon fans moving 42.5cfm (1 intake, 1 exhaust). I live in Southern California, and it's pretty dang hot right now...about probably 80 as I speak(?) My temps are right now 48°C CPU/32°C mobo. That's pretty good, considering my apartment isn't air conditioned. If I didn't have all that cooling, it'd probably be around 55-60.

What HSF are you using? Do you have any case fans going? Is it hot right now where you are? Is it overclocked?

Anyways, that temperature isn't bad; it won't fry, so that's not a problem. But, if you want your processor to last longer, you should try to get your case cooler. Once you get to 60°C, I think that's kinda high, because I know you'd want your processor to last at least 5 years, right? Maybe try to get it to 50°C, unless you don't want a noisy computer.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2001 2:57:52 AM

55C seems a bit high. Systems I've seen seem to run from about 45C-50C. Make sure you have a proper heatsink. A good standard one is the CoolerMaster DP5-6H51, it's basically and OEM heatsink (in fact it's the one they sell in the boxed version of the Athlon), but it's cheap and with thermal grease will run just peachy. At the AMD conference, the tech said that Athlons should be able to stand around 60C-75C operating, ie, without major problems. But just to be safe set you temp alarm for something like 65-70C. Make sure that the heatsink is installed properly, it's not very hard.

--
Free us from these chains, let us slip these bonds and touch the sky with our imagination.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 25, 2001 8:31:45 PM

I have two case fans running, both blowing out. The heat sink and fan are the standard that comes with the chip, same one you have I believe. According to SiSandra my core voltage is 1.81V, Front Side bus speed is 2x 101MHz (202MHz data rate), Memory bus speed 134MHz, AGP bus speed 68MHz, PCI bus speed 34MHz, LPC/ISA bus speed 9MHz and DMA speed is 5MHz, USB bus speed is 48Mhz. RAM is PC133 by the way. All that seem right to you (or anyone viewing)?
The heat sink and fan seem to be in place OK. I can't remove it without replacing the thermal grease though right?
Thanks Again,

Jack
April 25, 2001 8:37:53 PM

What are the locations of your two case fans? It would be optimal if you could have one intake in front, and one exhaust on the rear panel. Plus, make sure you can clean up your cords so that airflow is out of the way.

With the standard HSF that came with the chip, I'm not sure if you'll get any better.
April 25, 2001 8:42:27 PM

I have one in front and one in rear. I'll try turning one around and double check the cables. I seem to be running at 1133 MHz. I'm not trying to overclock any, can you tell by my settings why I'm up to this?
April 25, 2001 9:09:41 PM

Instead of having 2 exhaust fans, try making them intake fans and have them blow over the cpu fan. I did that instead of 1 and 1 and reduced my temps about 4-5C. I live in north Texas and it's about 80 in my place without AC and I idle at about 32C load at 46C, with an Alpha 6035.
April 25, 2001 9:11:33 PM

by the way I'm running an Athlon 'C' 1 gig @ 150x8.5 for 1275mhz.
April 25, 2001 9:19:27 PM

<I'm not trying to overclock any, can you tell by my settings why I'm up to this?>

What do you mean?
April 25, 2001 9:20:14 PM

Really? I'm in California right now. It's pretty hot right now, and if you say that that's working better for you, I'm going to test and try that.
April 25, 2001 9:32:02 PM

Yeah, I moved the one fan I had up front and put both in back to move air over my heatsink fan. It works alot better for me, right now I'm looking at 78F inside the house and 34C for cpu. When I have my AC on it goes down to about 28C at internet speed and 42C at full load.
April 25, 2001 9:41:52 PM

I'm still under testing right now, but it hasn't helped me. I have both intake, 1 in front and 1 in back. My CPU temp IS 1°C higher than my preview setting, but my motherboard temp went up 3°C. So, I'm now at 48°C/34°C, when before it was at 47°C/31°C.

Did you have places for 2x80mm fans on your back panel? I only have one...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by btvillarin on 04/25/01 02:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 25, 2001 9:42:54 PM

BTW, I'm running a T-Bird 850 overclocked to 933 (7.0x133)
April 25, 2001 9:53:14 PM

Yeah, two in front two in back, both fans are in back directly behind my processor and both are intake. So I suppose that isn't going to help you any since you only have 1 in back. I have an Antec SX830 workstation case. Very nice case.
April 25, 2001 10:00:57 PM

Yeah, that sounds really nice. I wish I had room for some 120mm fans, because that would help get the noise down.

I'm using an Swiftech MC370-0A. I wish my temps would get down in the 30s. But, I guess it's this high because of the difference of my ambient temp and the test case(s) temp/fans/etc. Or, maybe my temperature is off (using an A7V133, in which people say that it's 10°-13° too high.) I think I might buy a CompuNurse to I can know for sure. I'd like to have my case and my CPU to be cool.
April 25, 2001 11:53:04 PM

There's a couple of different ways to look at it. 55C is not terribly hot, if you're running win2k/win98. If it's stable, you're in good shape. I call 'stable' being able to run seti and unreal tourney as a spectator in a net game for 20 hours.

If you're trying to install win2k/win98, you'll have to power back to around 47C or less. For some reason, things just don't install too well above 45C.

You're good on temps up to 65 or 70C, without damage, but you'll not be overclocking successfully at those temps.
April 26, 2001 1:07:47 AM

Yeah I've heard that with the A7V. Download Sisoft Sandra 2001 and see if that helps your temp reading. That Swiftech heatsink is supposed to be pretty good. I've got my window AC unit with a hose attached to it blowing cooled air over my intake fans and I'm running at 24C right now.
April 26, 2001 1:13:43 AM

So that's why you're so cool! You have AC! I don't...

I'm using Motherboard Monitor v5, and Asus Probe. Both tell the same thing. SiSoft Sandra was the same, too.

I just stuck an extra fan at the bottom of my PC blowing upward (LoL). Right now, after running SETI@Home for about 3 hours, then opening up some apps, such as AOL Instant Messenger, MSN Messenger, and Internet Explorer, it's at full load 50°C/32°C.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by btvillarin on 04/25/01 06:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 26, 2001 1:20:37 AM

I am running Win2000/98. 3DMark2000 gives me a score of 8300 but tells me my system is overclocked to 1133 MHz.

<According to SiSandra my core voltage is 1.81V, Front Side bus speed is 2x 101MHz (202MHz data rate), Memory bus speed 134MHz, AGP bus speed 68MHz, PCI bus speed 34MHz, LPC/ISA bus speed 9MHz and DMA speed is 5MHz, USB bus speed is 48Mhz.>

Amd 1100
Asus A7v
IBM Deskstar
Elsa Gladiac 64DDR
384 MB RAM PC133
Kenwood 72x
Plextor 16/10/40
SB Live Plat 5.1

My system is stable no problem, I'm just wondering why I seem to be 5-10 degrees hotter than most...
April 26, 2001 1:25:31 AM

Do you worry about sucking in dust, etc. into your case? I live in upstate NY, ambient temp in the house doesn't usually (well sometimes but not often) get above 75 F even in the summer, but the house is really dusty.
April 26, 2001 1:28:07 AM

I think you need a better HSF, that's all.
April 26, 2001 6:41:39 PM

To add to this... it is best to have the exhaust in the back at the top, and the intake on the front, at the bottom of the case.

--Fltsimbuff
April 26, 2001 6:47:29 PM

No wonder.... normally you want the hot air at the top of the case (hot air rises) to be pushed out the back by a fan at the top of the case, in the back... and you want cooler air brought into the case by a fan at the bottom front (allows the cooler air to be pulled up past the hot components on the way to the top) The way you have it now, the fan in the back is just disrupting the normal flow of air throught the case.

--Fltsimbuff
April 26, 2001 10:10:20 PM

Even without my AC it gets to about 80F inside my apartment. And my PC still idles at 32C, having the AC vented into the intake fans only decrease it to about 23C at idle. I still believe the best setup is to have two intakes running over the cpu fan, I'll eventually put two exhaust out the front and put some sort of filter on the intakes.
April 26, 2001 10:16:17 PM

You mean one exhaust at the very top of the case, right?

Anyways, what do you suggest then? I just have one intake in the front and one at the very top? That won't work, because I can't really drill my case. My case looks like <A HREF="http://www.heatsink-guide.com/casecool.htm" target="_new">this one</A> in the upper right diagram of the right way of airflow in an ATX case...

Side Note: Actually, my power supply is at the very top of my case, and the place for the fan is a little below it.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by btvillarin on 04/26/01 03:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 26, 2001 10:16:53 PM

I disagree with that. In all case the cpu fan is directly under the power supply (which blows out the hottest air by the way), so I would want my intakes in the back on top blowing cooler (wind chilled) air over my cpu fan which then pulls it down to cool the heatsink, by putting your intakes in the front your only blowing cooler air over your pci slots. If you can put your intakes in the back and exhoaust in the front you can create windflow that way. I suppose it's all a matter of testing and seeing what gives you the best results.

The way you describe it, when your cooler air comes into the case and passes by the components it gets hotter, then passes over your heatsink putting warmed air into it??? Does this make sense? Or would you rather have the freshest air into your heatsink? Just a matter of flow.
April 26, 2001 10:36:34 PM

Are your 2 intakes on the side panel of your case? Then, one exhaust on your back panel?

Yeah, I've just been testing a whole bunch of setups. Hopefully, I'll find one that works...
April 26, 2001 11:45:47 PM

which would you recommend and where do you usually get your comp stuff from?
April 27, 2001 12:36:14 AM

I have two intakes in the back below the exhaust for the power supply. I have no case exhaust fans. My intakes pull air in and put it directly over my cpu fan, which directs the air on top of the heatsink. I figure if I put the intakes in the front, then the air will be warmer by the time it gets to the cpu (if it does at all). When you put intake fans at the bottom front of your case, why would you think the air will suddenly rise? Only warm air rises. Therefore the air used to cool your heatsink would be warm already. By putting your intakes directly behind the cpu fan, the air doesn't travel as far which reduces the time it has to warm up.

I would suggest two fans in back for intake and two fans up front as exhaust. Of course it doesn't really matter if your house is kept at 70F from AC. Which is not my house.
April 27, 2001 1:24:50 AM

My main point was, that you need the air to go from point A in the case, to point B. It does that a lot less efficiently if fans are pushing against each other. You end up with all that hot air just circling around in the case. It is good to have a blowing across the CPU, but then what happens to the hot air that comes off the CPU? Instead of being ejected from the case efficiently (the Power Supply Fan isn't all that effective) it gets blown around in circles in the case. This is obviously no good. A "blowhole" is another effective method of cooling. You cut a hole in the top of the case, and blow the hot air out the top.
Remember... keep the air moving in the case, through the case, and out of the case (preferably the hot air out). Hot air remaining in the case due to opposing airflows is not good.

--Fltsimbuff
April 27, 2001 1:49:57 AM

I think it's really hard to tell someone how to do their setup, because they don't have the exact same case that you might have. Or, they might not have the same utilities to help undergo the same modifications. I'm in the process of testing certain setups, without punching holes into my case.

I have room for two 80mm fans: one on the back panel, [vertically] a little below the level of the cpu, and another in the front of the case, below all the drives. (Sorry...I wish I had a picture...)

I was going to try 5 differents setups.
1) No case fans
2) 1 intake in front
3) 1 intake in front and 1 intake in back
4) 1 intake in front and 1 exhaust in back
5) 1 intake in back

I'll post my results...

BTW, the Swiftech MC370-0A blows onto the heatsink, not away.
April 27, 2001 11:57:21 AM

I'm gonna gamble and say the best results will be 1 intake in back 1 exhaust in front. That is of course if your case has more than a few inches of space against a wall or something in the back, and you don't mind a fan blowing out the front of your case.

By the way I really like the blow hole idea at the top of the case. Can get one of those 120mm fans for the top with 1 intake one both sides, back, front and vent the hot out the top, maybe even two exhaust on top. Thanks for the idea.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2001 2:04:49 PM

Get the Alpha Heatsink with a Delta 38 Cpu Fan at Bigfoot Computers off the web for approx 50$ and you'll be able to run it at 36ºC. An AMD 1GHZ overclocked to 1.49 runs at a cool 38ºC
April 27, 2001 2:17:12 PM

I was thinking of purchasing <A HREF="http://www.thecardcooler.com/shopcart/CaseCooling/casec..." target="_new">the XTreme System Cooling Package</A>. It's only $55.

It'd be nice if I had the utilities to create a blow hole at the top. But I think my case is too cramped.

I would be against your gamble, but I'm gonna start with a clean slate and not be biased towards any setup until I've tested it out myself.
!