Need a Laptop for Heavy Statistical Computing in R

Hello,

I am using Maziar's quetionnaire here. I need a laptop for statistical computing in R. The data files will be huge and I will be running models on these files. I have tried to answer as much as possible. Please help.

Thanks

1. What is your budget? ~$2,000 or less

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? – 15.1

3. What screen resolution do you want? – not sure

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? - portable

5. How much battery life do you need? – best possible

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?- no

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) – primarily statistical computing and creating reports, graphs etc.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? - I assume large because I need to store huge data files

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. – no

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? – as long as possible

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? – all

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. – Lenovo preferable

13. What country do you live in? - US
10 answers Last reply
More about need laptop heavy statistical computing
  1. Hello MRS;
    Does your Statistical software give required or recommended hardware configurations?
  2. WR2 said:
    Hello MRS;
    Does your Statistical software give required or recommended hardware configurations?


    Hi WR2,

    I did not find it anything on their website (http://www.r-project.org/)

    thanks
  3. Lenovo ThinkPad T410s 14-inch Core i5 CPU $1,169


    Lenovo ThinkPad W510 15.6-inch Workstation Laptop Core i7 CPU $1769 plus 10% discount
    Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    for upgrades choose:
    Windows 7 Professional 64
    15.6" FHD Display (95% Gamut, 270nit) with LED Backlight for 1920x1080 LCD screen
    4 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM) You can upgrade RAM yourself if you want 8GB RAM for about $40
  4. Is there any type of R Project support forum where other users talk about what they use and what works well for them?
  5. WR2 said:
    Lenovo ThinkPad T410s 14-inch Core i5 CPU $1,169


    Lenovo ThinkPad W510 15.6-inch Workstation Laptop Core i7 CPU $1769 plus 10% discount
    Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    for upgrades choose:
    Windows 7 Professional 64
    15.6" FHD Display (95% Gamut, 270nit) with LED Backlight for 1920x1080 LCD screen
    4 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM) You can upgrade RAM yourself if you want 8GB RAM for about $40



    Thanks WR2!!
  6. ThinkPad T510 also has a full HD option for 1920x1080 screen
  7. WR2 said:
    ThinkPad T510 also has a full HD option for 1920x1080 screen


    Okay, will check that out as well.

    Thanks
  8. If you can install R on an iPhone you might not need a quad core CPU.
  9. Toshiba Satellite A665-3DV8 at $1,499. The Toshiba Satellite® A665 3D Edition laptop is an all-purpose entertainment laptop offering premium performance and technologies for superior productivity and creativity.

    i7 Core Processor! Also 6 GB RAM, and 640 GB storage. This is a fantastic machine. Also, it has Blu-Ray R/W! Here are some more specs:
    Screen
    15.6" WXGA (1366x768) HD
    Processor
    1.73 GHz Intel® Core™ i7 processor
    RAM
    6 GB DDR3 1066 MHz
    Storage
    640 GB HDD 5400 RPM
    Operating system
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

    What do you think? Here's a link http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pc-scout/laptop-details.aspx?pcid=f51386f5-2b03-e011-bb23-02bf9d3bf32a

    Kevin
    Windows Outreach Team
  10. MRS said:
    Hello,

    I am using Maziar's quetionnaire here. I need a laptop for statistical computing in R. The data files will be huge and I will be running models on these files. I have tried to answer as much as possible. Please help.

    Thanks

    1. What is your budget? ~$2,000 or less

    2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? – 15.1

    3. What screen resolution do you want? – not sure

    4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? - portable

    5. How much battery life do you need? – best possible

    6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?- no

    7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) – primarily statistical computing and creating reports, graphs etc.

    8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? - I assume large because I need to store huge data files

    9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. – no

    10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? – as long as possible

    11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? – all

    12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. – Lenovo preferable

    13. What country do you live in? - US


    Why spend massive amounts on depreciating hardware. I lately started to make use of the new cloud computing offers for calculating with R. See Amazon EC2 or cloudnumbers.com. It's easier and cheaper!
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Screen Resolution