crash codes

HATEWINDOWS

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2001
One of my PC's is very crashy , it gives illegal operation
screens, and says KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff88396 etc.
and some other codes EAX / EBX /ECX /EDX etc.
Where can i get a list of what the codes mean so i can troubleshoot ?
This box has been crashy since new, i replaced the RAM , coz the shop said it was faulty, ...still the same, so i replaced the mobo....**** it is still crashy.
Whats left now ? HDD ?, CPU , power supply....?
I had someone put some testing hardware on the system ,they could find no fault, WHAT DO I DO NOW ?? ..lol
it seems to crash even when it is just idling with no programs running.

HATEWINDOWS

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2001
win98se
celeron 366
new ram pc100 128
new mobo ASUS CUSI M
Seagate medalist 10.2 ATA (33 mhz)
i have pulled out modem,sound,and anything un-essential, but same problem occurs.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
EAX / EBX /ECX /EDX etc.

sound card issues. If you have not uninstalled the software to your sound card give that a try. Also, run a dx diagnostics test.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I'd suggest reinstalling your operating system from CD, from scratch. It sounds like your OS has been corrupted.

-Raystonn

-- The center of your digital world --

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
why don't u try to download new drivers from the SiS site. a board with so many things integrated can be a pain. or u could try to borrow a friends graphics card and try it on your pc(make sure u diasable the on-board video first).

Bill Gates? Never heard of him! :cool:

G

Just repaired a PC a couple of weeks ago. Reinstalled windows and it fixed the problem.

There are two theories to arguing with women........neither of which work.

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Be sure that there is no IRQ sharing between PCI or PCI/AGP devices, if there is AGP. (Some shares are ok but not for major devices like Video/Sound Cards)

Hope that helps.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

G

windows 98 se

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

G

No, no, no. EAX, EBX, ECX, & EDX are all names of registers inside the CPU. The AX,BX,CX, & DX have been around the entire life of the x86 architecture. The 'E' indicates Extended which is when they doubled those registers to 64 bits wide. Not positive when that was done, but it happened well before Environmental Audio which also goes by EAX. When Windows crashes, it lists the contents of the relevant registers in the CPU. Unfortunately, only an assembly language programmer knows what they mean (IF they have access to the source code) so it really isn't very helpful.

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm glad somebody set that straight. Jees, in this day and age!

In the fatal exception error 'A fatal exception <XX> has occurred at xxxx:xxxxxxxx, the <XX> represents the actual processor exception from OO to OF. The xxxx:xxxxxxxx represents the 'code segment pointer:actual address where the exception occurred'.

Its not much use to u unless u programmed the OS.

Now if you really want, you could download some software that will do a complete memory dump for you. You can then spend a week to a year finding out exactly where the problem is through reading the hexidecimal dump. Then write to Bill Gates and tell him the problem with his OS. But then it may not even be the OS, it may be the software being run.

Or u can just live with it!

<font color=red>Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?</font color=red>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AX, BX, CX and DX were older 16 bit registers right from the 8086 era, and were Extended to 32 bits with the 386 which was the first 32 bit processor. its predecessors 8086, 186 and 286 were al 16 bit. the 'E' indicates its an extended unit of the original register. e.g. AX is 16 bits wide but when you address it as EAX, it is now 32 bits that along with lower 16 bits of AX.

EAX = Environmental Audio has nothing to do with the 32 bit EAX register, except for similarity in names.

whenever there is a windows crash, the error report shows the contents of all the registers, some bytes at the current IP the instruction pointer (the code that was supposed to be executed just then) and some bytes from stack.
its basically some debugging info meant for developers (not windows developers - they never use them i suppose) but application developers so that they could check their code to run properly. it seems this feature is passed on to unwary users for free, who have nothing in the least to do with it. they are only intimidated by these numbers.

btw there isnt any crash code present in these error windows, just some info like "xxx application has caused yyy error/fault in module zzz", such crash code is shown on the blue screens of death saying "exception xx occured at ssssssss:eek:ooooooo where "ss.." is segment and "oo.." is offset - just the memory location where the cpu was processing its code.

and both screens offer nothing corrective or informational as pertaining to the error. anybody has any list of these "exception xx" codes?

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

G

Oops, thanks for the correction. I guess I'm already looking forward to 64 bit processing.

G

I wonder, through all this time and replacements, have formatted the HD and reinstalled the OS witht the new components?

Toz Alaikum.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it does sound very possible its a mobo problem. make sure you get all the newest (non-beta to help your stability problems) bios flashes and driver updates. Then make sure you use Windows Update, it really does help patch an otherwise dismall OS.

Even a broken watch is right twice a day...

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok, I believe I know what the problem is

check your IDE cable, make sure its the new ata66/100 high density cable.

Now that you confirmed you got the correct cable, locate the notch (there is a wire cut in the cable close to the blue connector leaving a space/notch) and the blue connector at one end. place that end in the motherboard IDE1 and hookup HD and CDROM to install OS. once you get OS loaded install the motherboard patches from CD supplied.

Your problem may be the result of incorrect cable on IDE1. if your using cable on the hard drive that came with the machine/celeron its the wrong one.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hi
they should have been called XAX, XBX etc.. i thought
but Itanium has a massive number of registers, 128 for general use named as r0 thru r127, 128 floating point regs f0 to f127 and some 300 odd more!! all 64 bits wide!!!

our old AL/AH/AX/EAX et al lie in the r8 to r32!

gone are the days of assembly language programmers... coding for Itanium is best left to compilers which can efficiently handle these masssive resources.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS