Eberron Question: Improved Damage Reduction feat

I don't completely understand the Improved Damage Reduction feat from the
Eberron Campaign Setting. The only requirement it lists is that your character
is Warforged, but from my interpretation of the Benefit, it seems like you
also have to either have the Adamantine Body feat, or else have Damage
Reduction already from some other means (such as being a Barbarian).

The Benefit section reads, "You gain damage reduction 1/adamantine or improve
your existing damage reduction by 1."

I'm not sure how to interpret the first part; what does "1/adamantine" mean?
It can't mean "1 per adamantine" because AFAIK adamantine isn't a numerical
trait; you either have the Adamantine Body feat or you don't. So I interpret
this sentence as meaning, you *gain* DR (if you didn't already have any) of 1
if you have an adamantine body, otherwise you gain +1 to your *existing* DR.

So, am I interpreting this correctly, or can a Warforged character take this
feat if he has neither the Adamantine Body feat nor Damage Reduction?

--
Karl von Laudermann - karlvonl(a)rcn.com - http://www.geocities.com/~karlvonl
#!/usr/bin/env ruby

    Karl von Laudermann wrote:

    > I'm not sure how to interpret the first part; what does
    "1/adamantine" mean?
    > It can't mean "1 per adamantine" because AFAIK adamantine isn't a
    numerical
    > trait; you either have the Adamantine Body feat or you don't. So I
    interpret
    > this sentence as meaning, you *gain* DR (if you didn't already have
    any) of 1
    > if you have an adamantine body, otherwise you gain +1 to your
    *existing* DR.

    You're right, it doesn't mean that. it doesn't mean your second one
    either. What it means is that you gain damage reduction of 1 versus
    all attacks EXCEPT those which possess the 'adamantine' descriptor.
    This stacks with other Damage Reduction/adamantine, but not with Damage
    Reduction vs any other things. For the record, having an adamatine
    body as a warforged does NOT give your attacks the adamantine
    descriptor (unless the description says it does, in which case never
    mind).

    > So, am I interpreting this correctly, or can a Warforged character
    take this
    > feat if he has neither the Adamantine Body feat nor Damage Reduction?

    No, you are not interpreting correctly and a warforged can take the
    feat without Adamantine body or other damage reduction feats.

    Note that I do not have the book in front of me, and I'm just going by
    the rules as I remember them and your description.

    In article <1109449713.234803.108210@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    "Shawn Wilson" <Ikonoqlast@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Karl von Laudermann wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not sure how to interpret the first part; what does
    > "1/adamantine" mean?
    >
    > You're right, it doesn't mean that. it doesn't mean your second one
    > either. What it means is that you gain damage reduction of 1 versus
    > all attacks EXCEPT those which possess the 'adamantine' descriptor.

    Ah, thank you. AFAICT, this "Damage Reduction n/foobar" notation isn't
    mentioned in the PHB or Eberron book. I'm assuming it's in the DMG or
    something?

    --

    "Karl von Laudermann" <karlvonl@rcn.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > In article <1109449713.234803.108210@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    > "Shawn Wilson" <Ikonoqlast@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Karl von Laudermann wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm not sure how to interpret the first part; what does
    > > "1/adamantine" mean?
    > >
    > > You're right, it doesn't mean that. it doesn't mean your second one
    > > either. What it means is that you gain damage reduction of 1 versus
    > > all attacks EXCEPT those which possess the 'adamantine' descriptor.
    >
    > Ah, thank you. AFAICT, this "Damage Reduction n/foobar" notation isn't
    > mentioned in the PHB or Eberron book. I'm assuming it's in the DMG or
    > something?

    It's a 3.5E thing - are you using 3.0E core books?

    The gist of it is that there's no such thing as DR X/+Y in 3.5E - there's
    only DR X/[material or descriptor]. For example, DR 5/evil, DR 10/silver,
    or DR 5/magic and cold iron; in the former case, DR would be penetrated by
    weapons with the Evil descriptor, in the second, by weapons made of silver,
    and in the third, by magic weapons made of cold iron.

    - David Prokopetz.

    Karl von Laudermann wrote:
    > Shawn Wilson wrote:
    > > Karl von Laudermann wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm not sure how to interpret the first part; what does
    > > > "1/adamantine" mean?
    > >
    > > What it means is that you gain damage reduction of 1
    > > versus all attacks EXCEPT those which possess the
    > > 'adamantine' descriptor.
    >
    > Ah, thank you. AFAICT, this "Damage Reduction n/foobar"
    > notation isn't mentioned in the PHB

    Check your PH's glossary, if you've got the PH3.5. But, yes, DR is
    explained in greater detail in the DMG and in the MM (most of the
    time, non-PC creatures have it).

    --
    Nik
    - remove vermin from email address to reply.

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:11:27 -0500, Karl von Laudermann
    <karlvonl@rcn.com.invalid> scribed into the ether:

    >I don't completely understand the Improved Damage Reduction feat from the
    >Eberron Campaign Setting. The only requirement it lists is that your character
    >is Warforged, but from my interpretation of the Benefit, it seems like you
    >also have to either have the Adamantine Body feat, or else have Damage
    >Reduction already from some other means (such as being a Barbarian).
    >
    >The Benefit section reads, "You gain damage reduction 1/adamantine or improve
    >your existing damage reduction by 1."
    >
    >I'm not sure how to interpret the first part; what does "1/adamantine" mean?

    It means that every time someone with that feat is hit by a physical blow,
    unless that weapon is made of adamantite, 1 point will be deducted from the
    damage. If the weapon (or striking object...a rockslide that hits a
    character would be subject to damage reduction) is adamantine, then the
    damage it inflicts is unchanged.

    > So I interpret
    >this sentence as meaning, you *gain* DR (if you didn't already have any) of 1
    >if you have an adamantine body, otherwise you gain +1 to your *existing* DR.

    Almost. You gain the DR, but your actual body construction has no bearing
    on it. If the warforged already has the Adamantine Body trait, and the
    5/adamantine reduction (I think it is 5, I've only ever glanced through the
    eberron books) it confers, then that would go up to 6/adamantine with the
    addition of this feat.

    >So, am I interpreting this correctly, or can a Warforged character take this
    >feat if he has neither the Adamantine Body feat nor Damage Reduction?

    Yes. If Adamantine Body was a requirement, then it would be listed along
    with the "Being a warforged" requirement.

    I seem to have experienced an extremely realistic hallucination in which
    Matt Frisch said...
    > If the warforged already has the Adamantine Body trait, and the
    > 5/adamantine reduction (I think it is 5, I've only ever glanced through the
    > eberron books) it confers, then that would go up to 6/adamantine with the
    > addition of this feat.

    They start with 2/Adamantine, not 5/Adamantine. (A first level Feat that
    granted that as well as an effective +6 to AC would be broken beyond
    belief).

    Jeff Heikkinen wrote:
    > I seem to have experienced an extremely realistic hallucination
    > in which Matt Frisch said...
    > > If the warforged already has the Adamantine Body trait, and the
    > > 5/adamantine reduction (I think it is 5, I've only ever glanced
    > > through the eberron books) it confers, then that would go up to
    > > 6/adamantine with the addition of this feat.
    >
    > They start with 2/Adamantine, not 5/Adamantine. (A first level
    > Feat that granted that as well as an effective +6 to AC would
    > be broken beyond belief).

    Agreed. That said, Adamantine Body does prevent them from *ever*
    doing things one can only do in light or no armor (or even in medium
    armor). The permanent speed reduction (and run limitation), for
    example, and the complete inability to ever use Tumble, for any
    reason.

    --

    In article <r9g221123j24k5goilca00ss69t2p8khmu@4ax.com>,
    Nikolas Landauer <dacileva.flea@hotmail.com.tick> wrote:

    > Karl von Laudermann wrote:
    > >
    > > Ah, thank you. AFAICT, this "Damage Reduction n/foobar"
    > > notation isn't mentioned in the PHB
    >
    > Check your PH's glossary, if you've got the PH3.5. But, yes, DR is
    > explained in greater detail in the DMG and in the MM (most of the
    > time, non-PC creatures have it).

    Well, look at that, it's in the glossary! I've never looked at the glossary,
    since I always thought it only contained info mentioned elsewhere in the book.
    I'm going to have to start looking there more often. :-)

    --

    "Nikolas Landauer" <dacileva.flea@hotmail.com.tick> wrote in message
    > Jeff Heikkinen wrote:
    > > I seem to have experienced an extremely realistic hallucination
    > > in which Matt Frisch said...
    > > > If the warforged already has the Adamantine Body trait, and the
    > > > 5/adamantine reduction (I think it is 5, I've only ever glanced
    > > > through the eberron books) it confers, then that would go up to
    > > > 6/adamantine with the addition of this feat.
    > >
    > > They start with 2/Adamantine, not 5/Adamantine. (A first level
    > > Feat that granted that as well as an effective +6 to AC would
    > > be broken beyond belief).
    >
    > Agreed. That said, Adamantine Body does prevent them from *ever*
    > doing things one can only do in light or no armor (or even in medium
    > armor). The permanent speed reduction (and run limitation), for
    > example, and the complete inability to ever use Tumble, for any
    > reason.

    Indeed. It's really just a feat that gives you a pretty good suit of armour
    for free, in exchange for the inability to ever take it off.

    - David Prokopetz.

    Nikolas Landauer wrote:

    >Jeff Heikkinen wrote:
    >

    >>I seem to have experienced an extremely realistic hallucination
    >>in which Matt Frisch said...
    >>

    >>>If the warforged already has the Adamantine Body trait, and the
    >>>5/adamantine reduction (I think it is 5, I've only ever glanced
    >>>through the eberron books) it confers, then that would go up to
    >>>6/adamantine with the addition of this feat.
    >>>

    >>They start with 2/Adamantine, not 5/Adamantine. (A first level
    >>Feat that granted that as well as an effective +6 to AC would
    >>be broken beyond belief).
    >>

    >Agreed. That said, Adamantine Body does prevent them from *ever*
    >doing things one can only do in light or no armor (or even in medium
    >armor). The permanent speed reduction (and run limitation), for
    >example, and the complete inability to ever use Tumble, for any
    >reason.

    One thing to remember about the Run speed limitation, Warforged
    don't ever get tired. They can Run at their personal full speed forever.
    No need of mounts. The perfect "pony express" messenger or warriors. I
    can see a unit of Warforged running in formation, tirelessly towards
    their military target.

    --
    Tetsubo
    My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

    David Prokopetz wrote:

    >"Nikolas Landauer" <dacileva.flea@hotmail.com.tick> wrote in message
    >

    >>Jeff Heikkinen wrote:
    >>

    >>>I seem to have experienced an extremely realistic hallucination
    >>>in which Matt Frisch said...

    >>>They start with 2/Adamantine, not 5/Adamantine. (A first level
    >>>Feat that granted that as well as an effective +6 to AC would
    >>>be broken beyond belief).
    >>>

    >>Agreed. That said, Adamantine Body does prevent them from *ever*
    >>doing things one can only do in light or no armor (or even in medium
    >>armor). The permanent speed reduction (and run limitation), for
    >>example, and the complete inability to ever use Tumble, for any
    >>reason.
    >>

    >Indeed. It's really just a feat that gives you a pretty good suit of armour
    >for free, in exchange for the inability to ever take it off.
    >
    > - David Prokopetz.

    But you can improve it I believe with other Feats. It is a major
    limitation in many ways. It is also a decent choice if it fits your
    character concept.

    --

    Tetsubo wrote:
    > David Prokopetz wrote:
    > > Nikolas Landauer wrote:
    > > >
    > > > That said, Adamantine Body does prevent them from *ever*
    > > > doing things one can only do in light or no armor (or
    > > > even in medium armor). The permanent speed reduction
    > > > (and run limitation), for example, and the complete
    > > > inability to ever use Tumble, for any reason.
    > >
    > > Indeed. It's really just a feat that gives you a pretty
    > > good suit of armour for free, in exchange for the
    > > inability to ever take it off.
    >
    > But you can improve it I believe with other Feats. It
    > is a major limitation in many ways. It is also a
    > decent choice if it fits your character concept.

    The only warforged feats are:
    .. Adamantine Body or Mithral Body (mutually exclusive, 1st level only)
    .. Mithral Fluidity (req. Mithral Body, reduces ACP to -1)
    .. Improved Fortification (immune to criticals and sneak attack; can no
    longer be /cured/)
    .. Improved Damage Reduction (add or increase DR by 1/adamantine, as
    mentioned earlier in this thread; stacks at 1:1)

    So, at significant feat cost, you can improve it... You can't,
    however, improve it beyond what is listed here (barring more feats in
    Races of Eberron), and the best improvements come with significant
    disadvantages.

    In other words, it's balanced. :D

    --

    Tetsubo wrote:
    > Nikolas Landauer wrote:
    > >
    > > That said, Adamantine Body does prevent them from *ever*
    > > doing things one can only do in light or no armor (or
    > > even in medium armor). The permanent speed reduction
    > > (and run limitation), for example, and the complete
    > > inability to ever use Tumble, for any reason.
    >
    > One thing to remember about the Run speed limitation,
    > Warforged don't ever get tired. They can Run at their
    > personal full speed forever. No need of mounts. The
    > perfect "pony express" messenger or warriors. I can
    > see a unit of Warforged running in formation,
    > tirelessly towards their military target.

    Thus the whole purpose of the race. :D They are *war* -forged, in
    fact, and they became the dominant military force (on most sides) in
    the Last War.

    Their tradeoffs aren't insignificant (negative total stat mods; 50%
    immunity to /cure/ spells, or total immunity if they enhance their
    abilities in certain ways; susceptibility to both creature and object
    spells), which makes me feel they're well balanced. The psychological
    aspect can't be ignored for warforged in Eberron, nor should it in any
    other setting. (I'm not saying that they're balanced by the RPing
    aspect, I'm just saying that the RPing aspect shouldn't be ignored.)

    --

    Karl von Laudermann wrote:
    > Nikolas Landauer wrote:
    > > Karl von Laudermann wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Ah, thank you. AFAICT, this "Damage Reduction n/foobar"
    > > > notation isn't mentioned in the PHB
    > >
    > > Check your PH's glossary, if you've got the PH3.5. But,
    > > yes, DR is explained in greater detail in the DMG and in
    > > the MM (most of the time, non-PC creatures have it).
    >
    > Well, look at that, it's in the glossary! I've never
    > looked at the glossary, since I always thought it only
    > contained info mentioned elsewhere in the book.

    It contains info mentioned elsewhere in the book*s*. :D

    > I'm going to have to start looking there more often. :-)

    Good idea. Also, most of the rules from all three core books are
    present at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35 ,
    though there are sites with well-formatted HTML versions available
    online as well.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Nik
    - remove vermin from email address to reply.

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:25:36 GMT, Jeff Heikkinen <no.way@jose.org> scribed
    into the ether:

    >I seem to have experienced an extremely realistic hallucination in which
    >Matt Frisch said...
    >> If the warforged already has the Adamantine Body trait, and the
    >> 5/adamantine reduction (I think it is 5, I've only ever glanced through the
    >> eberron books) it confers, then that would go up to 6/adamantine with the
    >> addition of this feat.
    >
    >They start with 2/Adamantine, not 5/Adamantine. (A first level Feat that
    >granted that as well as an effective +6 to AC would be broken beyond
    >belief).

    Ok, +2..whatever. I don't think the feat is all that broken, in light of
    the fact that it prevents the warforged from wearing armor. It's very
    strong at low levels, but you don't stay low level, and *far* superior
    armors come along that the warforged who takes this feat cannot equip.

    I seem to have experienced an extremely realistic hallucination in which
    Matt Frisch said...
    > On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:25:36 GMT, Jeff Heikkinen <no.way@jose.org> scribed
    > into the ether:
    >
    > >I seem to have experienced an extremely realistic hallucination in which
    > >Matt Frisch said...
    > >> If the warforged already has the Adamantine Body trait, and the
    > >> 5/adamantine reduction (I think it is 5, I've only ever glanced through the
    > >> eberron books) it confers, then that would go up to 6/adamantine with the
    > >> addition of this feat.
    > >
    > >They start with 2/Adamantine, not 5/Adamantine. (A first level Feat that
    > >granted that as well as an effective +6 to AC would be broken beyond
    > >belief).
    >
    > Ok, +2..whatever. I don't think the feat is all that broken, in light of
    > the fact that it prevents the warforged from wearing armor.

    No, it doesn't. Being Warforged prevents them from wearing armour
    already. What it *does* do, as others have mentioned, is give them all
    the drawbacks of wearing *heavy* armour all the time, with no
    possibility of taking it off.

    > It's very
    > strong at low levels, but you don't stay low level, and *far* superior
    > armors come along that the warforged who takes this feat cannot equip.

    He can get himself enchanted and duplicate any ability he could get that
    way, so this isn't a problem.

    There are some very real drawbacks to AB, but neither of the things you
    brought up in this post were among them.

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 00:09:55 GMT, Jeff Heikkinen <no.way@jose.org> scribed
    into the ether:

    >I seem to have experienced an extremely realistic hallucination in which
    >Matt Frisch said...
    >> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:25:36 GMT, Jeff Heikkinen <no.way@jose.org> scribed
    >> into the ether:

    >> >They start with 2/Adamantine, not 5/Adamantine. (A first level Feat that
    >> >granted that as well as an effective +6 to AC would be broken beyond
    >> >belief).
    >>
    >> Ok, +2..whatever. I don't think the feat is all that broken, in light of
    >> the fact that it prevents the warforged from wearing armor.
    >
    >No, it doesn't. Being Warforged prevents them from wearing armour
    >already. What it *does* do, as others have mentioned, is give them all
    >the drawbacks of wearing *heavy* armour all the time, with no
    >possibility of taking it off.

    I have failed my Remember Game Rule You Read Once check.

    >> It's very
    >> strong at low levels, but you don't stay low level, and *far* superior
    >> armors come along that the warforged who takes this feat cannot equip.
    >
    >He can get himself enchanted and duplicate any ability he could get that
    >way, so this isn't a problem.

    Hmm, clearly my thumb through of the book was insufficient, I didn't know
    they could be directly enchanted.

    I still don't think that the feat is all that unbalanced :)

    Time to step up the meds; I could have sworn Matt Frisch just said...

    > Hmm, clearly my thumb through of the book was insufficient, I didn't know
    > they could be directly enchanted.
    >
    > I still don't think that the feat is all that unbalanced :)

    I never said it was, though it's certainly at the high end if you're
    playing the kind of character who would be interested in it. All I said
    was that it would be if it offered a DR of 5.

Games Video Games