P4 is [-peep-]!

G

Old news as in "Yes I know that" or as in, "This is not valid" ?

Toz Alaikum.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Welcome to Toms Hardware message boards, you've made your first useless crap post.

Congratulations!

If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.

G

Thanks! I appreciate that!
But what is crap in my post? (skip the title)
I knew that the P4 is not worth the money from the day it was launched, and now after I read this I am convinced, TOTALLY.
So I just everyone to see this article.
Don't just say crap, SAY WHY?

Toz Alaikum.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Old news in that the article you link to has already been discussed in an earlier thread.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

Bilbo_B

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2001
Don't pay a lot of attention to bad mannered people. There seems to be a lot of them on these boards.
Still, I'd recommend you lurk for a few weeks before posting, unless you're asking for advice :)
Oh, one more things. Intel vs. AMD is reaaaaally old. Please find some other topics to post about. Some of us (most, I'd venture to say) are really sick of "Mine is better" arguments. :)

If it ain't broken, break it. Then fix it.

G

I know that it is old argument, but I just wanted everyone to know what I know, That's it.
So just tell me where the previous thread was, or tell me what's wrong with this article, if any.

Toz Alaikum.

G

There is nothing wrong with that Article man

It's just been seen before and people have there opinions on both the p4 and Athlon so i mean..

Nothing is wrong with it, Myself i think is has some good points.. But both are ok processors, i mean its preference.
Myself i cant comprehend how poorly the p4 scores and yet it has a 400MHz lead ... i mean...
think about it.
400MHz... jump and in some areas its good like quake 3, others its poor in where the Athlon prevails.

Its just perference, people who like Intel use Intel reguardless of what reviews say.. People who like AMD might like them for the benchmarks etc... or just like the company.

We have a lot of arguments and wars on this Forum and old news isnt really appealing to them, especially the Intel followers. But i agree with you, that article is a good one.

You will find out that a few people on here will do anything to make AMD look bad no matter what the cost ie Lying, making up stories, or just saying Intel is better.

Anyhow you look at it
Both are good companies with good technologies.

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

G

Let people share their thoughts! Old news, New News, if people wants to let people know something let them be!
BTW the article is interesting ;)

Intel is Goliath and AMD is David..... You ALL KNOW the Winner

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
listen, you <A HREF="http://www.stupidgeek.com/" target="_new">stupid</A> sh!t, I will buy anything from intel or anyother company, rather than buy a pos fragile pos with pos chipset and it's pos problems!!!

how does it feel to know that your cpu can go *poof* in a instant?

you are just as useless as all the <A HREF="http://www2.apex.net/users/timwhita/keychain.html" target="_new">fried tbirds</A>, combined!

"AMD...you are the weakest link, good bye!"

G

Obviously you are a person who only listens to the first person he/she talks to on a certain issue. You've only read one article man!

As for the 200MMX performance, this is complete ****. It may be true than Intel processors throttle back under extreme load, but not this much. Better this than a fried processor, non?

The Northwood should solve the heat problems anyway. Plus P4s are getting cheaper all the time (check out those 60% price cuts!). I've heard that it should also include a couple of those "left-out" features.

You've gotta expect a few bugs in a new platform. Just look at Windows 95. Although the P4 doesn't provide quite the price/performance ratio of AMD, it may do soon.

~ I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully ~

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"As for the 200MMX performance, this is complete ****. It may be true than Intel processors throttle back under extreme load, but not this much. Better this than a fried processor, non?"

yea, true, how about both companies just design a processor that works AS ADVERTISED, no gimmicks, no downthrottling, just runs fast with enough overhead that it won't cook itself.
I don't understand you Intel junkies, Intel built a processor that can cook itself in a heartbeat, they just added thermal protection. AMD needs thermal protection, but why not just make the damn thing right, thermal protection for poor heatsink connection or something similar, and enough overhead that it won't need to slow down to keep from overheating.
From what I've heard, the entire P4 mhz throttle is hardly ever used anyway, its not that big of an issue.
I'd rather have the motherboard monitors tell the OS the CPU is about to fry, auto shutdown or something than drop to 750Mhz without me knowing it... but hey...
screw it, both companies suck, Cyrix is too slow, and nothing I use works on Macs.
gimme fingers and toes, I'll get binary code workin on those sooner or later...

----------------------
why, oh WHY, is the world run by morons?

G

Oh yeah go ahead, flame the newby! SHUT UP! Any IDIOT can keep from frying their tbird, lots of software and other stuff is availeable to prevent that. Intel has thermal protection WHO FREAKING CARES. Oh, I just have to make sure my heat sink is attached right on the tbird. If I didn't know how to attach a HS, chances are, if it was an Intel CPU I wouldn't know what was going on if its HS wasn't installed right and the comp kept shutting down. Any dummy can see that their AMD CPU is overheating when the computer crashes! and when that happens, USE THE OFF BUTTON! No damage.

Aklein
Shut that idiot up

Life is hard...Live with it.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"Any dummy can see that their AMD CPU is overheating when the computer crashes! and when that happens, USE THE OFF BUTTON! No damage."

Actually, no. The Athlon will burn itself out entirely within 2 seconds of powering it up if you have not properly secured the heatsink. Gurus have no problem making sure a heatsink is properly secured. Not everyone is a guru.

-Raystonn

-- The center of your digital world --

G

A little competition is good, now that prices on CPUs will drop, and give everyone an excuse to upgrade. I wish there was a way we could get Windows ported to a G4 processor, instead of having Apple being the only provider of it.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, it is 10 seconds. But by the time you realize what is happening, it is too late.

The reality is if an approved HSF is used, and you don't remove it on a weekly basis, you will be problem free. For security, Motherboard Monitor and Shutdown will shut down my system within 2 seconds when 58C is reached, well below the 90C threshold. Even with the fan stopped, the heatsink alone will allow time enough for a safe shutdown at that temperature (58C).

Last month my Pentium MMX fried when the HSF failed. It was an old fan, non ball bearing. Thermal protection and all, the chip is dead. I replaced it with an old Cyrix M2 I had laying around. I now use motherboard monitor and shutdown on my Intel based machines as well.

So I now have an Athlon, 2 Celerons, and a Cyrix. They all run the same software. Other then clock speed, you can't tell which box has which processor.

Why all the energy to bash AMD? Who cares?

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
"how does it feel to know that your cpu can go *poof* in a instant?"

Oh, so THATS your problem!!!! ROFLMAO

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:

G

As everyone here knows, I am relatively new here, so can you direct me to the thread about this article?

And anyone who has got some sense should only buy AMD processors, for now.
I once was very happy with Intel I refused the idea of considering the cyrix or even K6-3 I always went for Intel, untill I saw the benchmarks, and the prices, that turned the whole situation around.

Toz Alaikum.

G

Dickhead! calm down a bit. Do you prefer paying $4000 for what you can get for $2000?
This exactly what you are saying here.

Toz Alaikum.

G

"Obviously you are a person who only listens to the first person he/she talks to on a certain issue. You've only read one article man!"
Who told you so? I have reading articles about the athlon before it was released by several months.

"Better this than a fried processor, non?"
for the extra grand I pay for P4 i can get a refrigerator to cool my cpu, and I won't feel CHEATED!

Toz Alaikum.

G

I don't understand you Intel junkies

He don't know me very well, do he :) I am not an Intel junkie! ARGH! I just think the P4 is getting better all the time. My three systems at home are all AMD right now.

When I said about fried processors, I was not pot-shotting at AMD. I was simply saying I wouldn't want my P4 to fry or shutdown under excessive load, so for the moment, the down-throttling seems sensible.

~ The First Formally Rehabilitated AMD Lemming ~

beans

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
Hameed_Farah -

Regarding the thread(s) dealing with the article you mentioned - you might try the "Search Boards" option. I searched the CPU Forum on "emulators.com" for the last three months and found several posts that referenced it.

The article was updated March 3, 2001. It's probably a good idea to do a search like that before making a general post on an article that may have been out for months.

beans

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Please don't be discouraged by people having rude reactions. The truth is this is a forum and it is designed to share knowledge. Newbies should be welcomed and all information should be shared. If you already heard of that information that just stop reading the thread and move on. It is that simple.

You are gonig to find that when you post the truth some people attack you. These people are weak little girls. You see they don't buy a product because it is superior. They buy it out of a stupid emotional attachment. As for me I buy whatever is superior. My loyalty is to the product with the greatest and latest technology along with a good price performance ratio. An you can tell, for some reason whenever you talk about two rival companies (Intel vs AMD or ATI vs Nvidia, etc) it stirs up the pot with those who do not make logical intelligent decisions. When you are asking or sharing information with no emotion involved and strictly the facts you will sometime elicit their outburst. Simply it is a sign of weakness. They are nothing more than a manoslauvic C.H.U.D jamboree. It is ashamed that our forum is subject to these people who have more processors than their I.Q. (like AMDMeltDown). Though, despite all of their ignorance and feminitity we should afford them the same right to make statements as well.

It worked yesterday! :lol: