[YASD] Really annoying death to fire ants

Last response: in Video Games
February 21, 2005 10:30:12 PM

So I'm in Minetown and I get stuck in the following layout: {*dead-
end of the level*}{me}{boulder}{monster}{trap}. I don't have anything to
zap and I already threw my ranged weapons, to no avail. So I do the only
thing I know to do - take off everything, drop everything, and step onto
the boulder tile.

Well, it's a bugbear, which I certainly can't handle naked and with
no weapon. So I step away from it (luckily it hadn't had time to grab a
hold of me and kill me right then and there). No sooner than I step away
from it than I encounter FOUR fire ants. I pick up my stuff and start
putting on my equipment. I already have to pray once. I already threw all
of my weapons so I equip a unicorn horn as a last resort (unskilled). I
kill three fire ants. I get down to the fourth one and ... it kills me
with one hit to go on its own life. AAAARGHHH.

Was there anything I could've done differently? I didnt' have
anything on me to engrave Elbereth instantly. I didn't have anything else
of note in my inventory.

Gahhh, but dying is soooo annoying.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~
So say we all.

Hi, my name is Gary Olson --- and I too am an Antaholic.
{ clapping "Hi Gary" from the crowd}
I would like to thank Cyde for his stirring story of YASD by an ant. I
too have been frustrated by death by ants due to my own negligence:
running down a hallway without looking from soldier ants and right into
a floating eye, bravely standing in front of a line of ants and pulling
an empty wand of lightning from my bag, continuously casting "force
bolt" at a line of ants KNOWING I will destroy them until I run out of
power (when I could have used the sleep spell and run away), and other
misadventures too numerous to mention.

Please recite after me:
1. There is but one ultimate authority -- the Dev team
2. The only requirement to join Antaholics Anonymous is the desire to
stop YASD by ant.
3. Our group has but one purpose -- to carry our message to suffering
players who continue to die because of ants.
4. Anonymity is the foundation of the tradition, ever reminding us YASD
comes to us all

-------------------
(no, I am not......I just could not pass up the idea)

Cyde Weys wrote:

> So I'm in Minetown and I get stuck in the following layout: {*dead-
>end of the level*}{me}{boulder}{monster}{trap}. I don't have anything to
>zap and I already threw my ranged weapons, to no avail. So I do the only
>thing I know to do - take off everything, drop everything, and step onto
>the boulder tile.
>
> Well, it's a bugbear, which I certainly can't handle naked and with
>no weapon. So I step away from it (luckily it hadn't had time to grab a
>hold of me and kill me right then and there). No sooner than I step away
>from it than I encounter FOUR fire ants. I pick up my stuff and start
>putting on my equipment. I already have to pray once. I already threw all
>of my weapons so I equip a unicorn horn as a last resort (unskilled). I
>kill three fire ants. I get down to the fourth one and ... it kills me
>with one hit to go on its own life. AAAARGHHH.
>
> Was there anything I could've done differently? I didnt' have
>anything on me to engrave Elbereth instantly. I didn't have anything else
>of note in my inventory.
>
> Gahhh, but dying is soooo annoying.

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 12:24:08 PM

Cyde Weys schrieb:
> So I'm in Minetown and I get stuck in the following layout: {*dead-
> end of the level*}{me}{boulder}{monster}{trap}. I don't have anything to
> zap and I already threw my ranged weapons, to no avail. So I do the only
> thing I know to do - take off everything, drop everything, and step onto
> the boulder tile.
>
> Well, it's a bugbear, which I certainly can't handle naked and with
> no weapon. So I step away from it (luckily it hadn't had time to grab a
> hold of me and kill me right then and there). No sooner than I step away
> from it than I encounter FOUR fire ants. I pick up my stuff and start
> putting on my equipment. I already have to pray once. I already threw all
> of my weapons so I equip a unicorn horn as a last resort (unskilled). I
> kill three fire ants. I get down to the fourth one and ... it kills me
> with one hit to go on its own life. AAAARGHHH.
>
> Was there anything I could've done differently? I didnt' have
> anything on me to engrave Elbereth instantly. I didn't have anything else
> of note in my inventory.

You can engrave Elbereth with your fingers. It won't last too long, to
be sure.
--
Klaus Kassner
Anonymous

Gary Olson wrote:

> Hi, my name is Gary Olson --- and I too am an Antaholic.

No you're not. You're an antophobe.

An antoholic would *like* ants.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

February 22, 2005 5:06:18 PM

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in message
> Gary Olson wrote:
>
>> Hi, my name is Gary Olson --- and I too am an Antaholic.
>
> No you're not. You're an antophobe.
>
> An antoholic would *like* ants.

Well... they *like* him :)  ... for lunch, mostly >:)

Justin
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 12:35:00 AM

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>Gary Olson wrote:
>
>>Hi, my name is Gary Olson --- and I too am an Antaholic.
>>

>No you're not. You're an antophobe.
>
>An antoholic would *like* ants.

If I was a proper antophobe, I would run away from the ants. As
previously noted, I gleefully engage ants of all kinds in direct ( and
pointless) confrontation because I WILL NOT SUBMIT to a six legged insect.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 3:22:21 PM

Klaus Kassner wrote:

> Cyde Weys schrieb:

> > so I equip a unicorn horn as a last resort (unskilled). I
> > kill three fire ants. I get down to the fourth one and ... it kills me
> > with one hit to go on its own life. AAAARGHHH.
> >
> > Was there anything I could've done differently? I didnt' have
> > anything on me to engrave Elbereth instantly. I didn't have anything else
> > of note in my inventory.

You can squeeze by a boulder with a few items. In wiz mode I
could squeeze by wearing speed boots, [GoP, GDSM and a robe
but couldn't holding nothing but Magicbane!

> You can engrave Elbereth with your fingers. It won't last too long, to
> be sure.

To elaborate, you have something like a 70% chance to
correctly write Elbereth in the dust in one turn with your
fingers as long as you aren't somehow otherwise handicapped
(blind, stunned confused). If you get one down successfully
and the ants haven't yet moved away, add another to the
writing in the dust. Repeat as necessary until you get some
space to work with.

I once saved myself from being crushed to death by a bugbear
that way. I was quite desperate and didn't expect it to
work, seems it really shouldn't.
--
Wes
The early bird may get the worm,