Intel should recall the Pentium 4, realllly

G

This is stupid

think think think think think about it

They should sell the Pentium 4 1400 and 1500 as the 1.13GHz p3 that just couldnt do it.

This is crazy people

The way MHz or GHz is now
clock speed means nothing

how can a 1700MHz processor be on par with a 1300MHz processor???

It boggles my mind

its foolish and prepositional!

I think Intel should change the MHz speed rating on there chips

This proves

Bigger isn't Better

I don't care what you think about me starting another post war but im tired of hearing and seeing Intel P4 speeds on websites and then hearing how it compares to a 400MHz lower processor from AMD and how they are about on par now with a 400MHz change..

That sure makes AMD looks VERY good and Intel Very

This is C R A Z Y

CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

G

In the past a MHz rating meant higher the better

Intel Screwed that up gooooood!

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

G

Hey folks dont worry im gonna beat the crap out of him this summer. Hehehehehe gonna get you tbird.

SPUDMUFFIN

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

327goat

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
Benchmark numbers don't lie. Advertised processor speeds do.

Sure, answering questions is fun, but the real reason I come here is to meet chicks

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
For the 1 millionth time, performance = 'clockspeed' x 'average instructions per clock'. Anyone who's moved beyond the realm of a newbie knows this. Just because one processor has a higher clockspeed than another doesn't mean you cannot compare them on equal footing. Either compare them based on similarly priced models, checking the performance of both in benchmarks, or compare two processors with equal performance levels (multiply clockspeed and average IPC), checking the price of both.

-Raystonn

-- The center of your digital world --

327goat

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
That is exactly the point I'm making, the fact that you can not judge a processors performance based on the speed at which it runs, as is all too often the case for most average users.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't think they should. Recalls are for products which are not working properly, P4 is working perfectly :wink:

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:

G

That may be so
But its only making Intel look really bad

If AMD released say the Poly at 1.5 1.6 GHz or so
and the Pentium 4 1.3 or Athlon 1000 outperformed it

Do you honeslty think the Intel users on this Forum would accept and not critisize us to hell if AMD underperformed?

BY all means NO!

So i mean the minor issues with AMD, ie Thermal Protection and the AMD name, thats all they have to hold onto
and it sucks big time.
They are the Lame ones.

Think about it

If AMD underperformed with a 400 MHz lead
my god.. the arguing would never end

Why does Intle get off so easy?

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

Lexington

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2001
I'm sorry but your argument just doesn't make sense. If you wanted to recall any chip that got outperformed by a competitor's chip of equal or lesser megahertz, then AMD would have had to recall the whole K6-2 line. The P4 is a brand new architecture that will need some time to mature. Depending on what your needs are it might be the best solution for you, or it might not. It is still too early to judge it's future. Just because Intel is in a slump right now doesn't mean that they are down for the count, not by a long shot. AMD was second for many years, and has only recently taken the lead. They are getting ready to introduce several new chips of their own, before you point fingers at Intel, maybe you should wait and see if AMD continues to execute as well as they have for the last year. To suggest a recall is necessary is not only wrong, but silly as well. Intel has had a bumpy year, but don't assume they don't have a few tricks left for the future. I own an AMD Athlon, and an older Intel system. I like them both alot. There is no reason to post crap like this. You speak out of both sides of your mouth when one day you say you want the AMD bashing to stop, and then the next day you say the P4 should be recalled. Think about it.

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is funny how you can explain something and it never sets in. New architecture on the processor requires optimized code. Look at the MPEG4 benchmark when the code was optimized for the P4, nothing could touch it. Why should Intel recall a chip that when used with the right software can blow away other competitors? Why is AMD in a scramble to implement SSE2 into their processors and copy the architecture of the P4? And why are software and hardware makers in a scramble to take advantage of the power in the P4? I would say because they know the P4 is a very good processor with a great future.

G

Intel's new motto for the P4 is "Leapfrog the transition, Be a Leader!"

he!he!he!

G

For goodness sake, this has been going on for a lot longer than the P4 vs. Athlon. What about G4 processors? They run at 400MHz to 600MHz but can compete with PC parts at 1GHz+.

Don't forget the AMD PR133 and its siblings? The PR133 actually ran at 100MHz but performed as well as an Intel P120. Cyrix have also done this in the past, for example with the 6x86 series, had processors like the P166+, which ran at less than 166MHz. There have been differences between processor families from different companies for years.

You might say Intel should adopt a stategy where they rename the P4 1700 the P4 1300+ or something, but considering it's performance in video and streaming, plus the prospects of SSE2 applications, this would be foolhardy.

Maybe they should rename the thing,

P4 1700MHz 1000MHz+ (Office) 2000MHz+ (Video) 1300MHz+ (Games)

Wouldn't this be absurd, but that's what you're suggesting...
Plus, edit out those darned exclamation marks. I'm working on PC2 @ 1024x768 at the moment, and it breaks my screen :)

~ The First Formally Rehabilitated AMD Lemming ~

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<font color=blue> its foolish and prepositional!</font color=blue>

prepositional: pre-p&-'zi-sh&n a function word that typically combines with a noun phrase to form a phrase which usually expresses a modification or predication.

I think the work u were looking for was preposterous. It’s ok that dam spellchecker has screwed me a time or too also.

Thx & cya

<font color=green>I may go to <font color=red>hell</font color=red> but at least I won't get lonely</font color=green>

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Hey you know what's even funnier? The measurement .18 micron means nothing now too. The gate measurement that this measurement used to depend on is actually what? .15 micron or something in .18 micron technology. Isn't it funny how these things work?

Althons and Pentiums are just melted rock. Who’s rock is better? Who cares, let’s play some games<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wolverinero79 on 07/11/01 12:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>